Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cone screw thread glue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Replaced the shift rod coupler bushings. The cone screws were new last year. Now the sealing glue on the cone screws is gone after taking them back out today. I have Permatex Red thread glue in the tool box. Is that ok or what flavor should I use?

MUSR 11 ! Register Now

underthetire
Red can be a bitch to get loose, especially on a set screw. Think blue might be better for that.
DonTraver
I wouldn't use red, not if you ever want to get it out again. If it's anything like Red Locktite, it will take +350 degrees to even begin to soften the stuff.

Use the Blue
bandjoey
Thanks for the quick answers. On the way to FLAPS to get blue. beerchug.gif
McMark
No sealing compound. I've had to drill too many of them out after the tiny hex rounded off.

The 'sealing glue' that comes on the new ones is actually a nylon plug. So it's doesn't really go away. I would reuse the old one without sealant. And if you're worried/nervous just order a replacement (or 4) and swap it in once it arrives.
dangrouche
no sealing compound, I used blue loctite on a marginal condition setscrew, cuz the allen wrench was a little loose. a new setscrew with a good allen hole will tighten and take off properly. the one that I put on with compound stripped out and I was very nervous about drilling into that old one to get in the easy out extractor. fortunately got the piece of crap out and put in a new one. BTDT, do not use compound, but I have re-used setcrews as long as the allen seat is clean and tight for the wrench.
Dave_Darling
It's always good to have a couple new cone screws on hand. When you find that the hex head is getting loose or looking rounded, you can just swap with one of your spares. The early-80s 911s use the same screw in their shift couplers; I replaced the one in Lisa's car because the hex was getting ganked up.

If you're nervous about the locking part, you can poke at it with a pick or a small screwdriver so some of the nylon sticks out where the threads would go. That'll keep it from backing out.

--DD
pcar916
I have never used any locktite on these screws. As long as all is clean (required regardless) and both thread surfaces are good, and the wrench has good purchase, simply don't over-torque the things!!!!!

Thread lock will increase the torque needed to remove it the next time practically screamin' to ream out the hex surfaces. These fasteners should use serrated bits anyway.
Bleyseng
Don't use sealant as its a bitch to drill out later. Use new screws as they are cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.