Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve adjustment screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeremiah98125
I didn't check out my valve adjustment screws last time I adjusted the valves and they seem a bit noisy to me.. (BTW how noisy should they be??) so I was going to pickup a new set of the adjuster screws to have on hand in case mine look worn the next time I go down there. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on these ones for my 1.7 from Pelican:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...0-73)%2C%20Each

$4/ea seems like a good price, just wondering if anyone's tried them out before? they don't mention what brand they are..

TheCabinetmaker
Are they buggered up? screwdriver slots broken? Is the end that makes contact with the rocker rounded off? If not, why change them. They'll still be noisy if they are not adjusted properly. If you can really hear the tappets noise that loud, I'd say your vales are too loose. If they're not noisy at all your valves are too tight and your gonna screw up your engine.

I'm betting your gonna get a rather long tutorial from dave shortly.
tat2dphreak
that diagram looks like the stock ones... the one most people prefer are the 911 swivel feet, and those run about $15 each... only get ORIGINAL 911 feet
realred914
I dont know what pelican is selling, but I did get some swivil fet adjusters many years ago form some vendor, nice idea, but there were poorly made, the ball pounded thru teh foot pretty quickly and i had to replace them. i belive they were empi brand, not happy with it.

I'd make sure you stick with quality real porsche stuff, or stuff that has a known good reputation.

if you get cheapo chinese junk, it may look nice, but not be a good alloy our heat treated right.

talk with pelican and see what they say about them, then call rich at HPH 650 364-6234 and see what he has, he tends to stay on top of his part quailty and wont steer you wrong.
underthetire
Anything EMPI makes now is total junk. Swivel feet will require the removal of the rockers and machining/grinding of them. Get the Porsche ones, or I've heard the scatt ones are ok. I have no actual use to go by though, so it's all up to you.
Steve73
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 9 2010, 03:18 PM) *

Anything EMPI makes now is total junk. Swivel feet will require the removal of the rockers and machining/grinding of them. Get the Porsche ones, or I've heard the scatt ones are ok. I have no actual use to go by though, so it's all up to you.

Ok I'm making the upgrade and was following the recommendation out of Tech Tips 700 and got the 911 parts, however it didn't mention any machining. Is there an article on here that shows how to do this properly as I don't want to bung it up! I will take it to a pro to have the machining done.

Here's what I have currently, I realized that although the thread is fine the swivel feet are much larger and that there was no way these will work without modification (wish the book had mention that.......)

911 swivel feet on the top, stock 4cyl 2.0L adjuster screws on the bottom

Click to view attachment

As usual thanks in advance for the advice.
Dave_Darling
I'm worried that there is no manufacturer listed for the ones in the Pelican catalog.

To use the 911 ones, you machine about 0.060" off the part that the swivel touches. And you may need to put shims under the rocker stands where they mount onto the heads. And you may need to fiddle with your pushrod lengths.

These are 911 adjusters:
IPB Image

The ones in the lower pic are not. They look like the cheap ones that get pounded out easily...

--DD
Steve73
DD, you are right these don't look like the ones I saw in the book, these when I ordered them are considered "OEM" and I asked the manufacture and was told they were Porsche. They were not cheap at $23.75 each. They did include the shims but at first I wasn't sure what they were for. I'm not the Pelican Parts guy, I just revived this thread looking for some answers. I got my parts from AutoAtlanta. I know they have a reputation, but I Met George recently and have been giving him the benefit.

-Stephen

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 25 2014, 07:02 PM) *

I'm worried that there is no manufacturer listed for the ones in the Pelican catalog.

To use the 911 ones, you machine about 0.060" off the part that the swivel touches. And you may need to put shims under the rocker stands where they mount onto the heads. And you may need to fiddle with your pushrod lengths.

These are 911 adjusters:
IPB Image

The ones in the lower pic are not. They look like the cheap ones that get pounded out easily...

--DD
Steve73
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 25 2014, 07:02 PM) *

These are 911 adjusters:
IPB Image

--DD

Ok, I'm getting pretty confused, the ones I have look the same as the ones sold by European Motorworks:

European Motorwork swivels

Also I checked the company you got the photo from and those are only good up to 1972 engines. I have a 2.0L - 4 so I think we may be discussing apples vs oranges here.

Allzim adjusters
Dave_Darling
The 911 adjusters do not fit 73+ rocker arms. For the 73 model year, they made the adjusting lugs thicker and the holes in the rocker arm larger to match. So you can't use the 911 adjusters in later rocker arms.

That's why the "1.7 rockers" tend to be in demand.

--DD
Steve73
Great info but what do i have? They do fit but the rockers will have to be cut down. Honestly I'm thinking of sending these back and getting the stock 2.0L 4-cylinder adjusting screws. I was led to believe this was a drop in upgrade......

I do appreciate your input Dave. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 26 2014, 09:05 PM) *

The 911 adjusters do not fit 73+ rocker arms. For the 73 model year, they made the adjusting lugs thicker and the holes in the rocker arm larger to match. So you can't use the 911 adjusters in later rocker arms.

That's why the "1.7 rockers" tend to be in demand.

--DD
Java2570
The 911 swivel foot adjusters are definitely not a drop in upgrade as you will (in addition to clearancing the rockers) need to check your valve geometry to make sure it's proper and if needed, cut custom length pushrods. Most foiks also add the solid
rocker spacers and heavy duty rocker studs at the time of the upgrade.
Cap'n Krusty
The screws shown at the top of the picture are aftermarket "swivel foot" adjusters. The lower ones in the same picture are also aftermarket, and have a larger than stock contact pad. One of the things stock adjusters do is cause the valve to rotate in the guide, just a little with every contact. Swivel feet and 911 adjusters don't do that. It's a designed in feature that you need to consider when doing this mod. BTW, the swivel foot in the picture is, IMO, crap. I've seen lots of failures over the years, and it's been a long time since I saw one in an engine. They were the hot "thing" in the 70s. Difficult to get a feeler gauge in there, too, especially in a 914.

The Cap'n
Steve73
Thanks Captin! I think your correct on all your points. The adjusters already in here are probably aftermarket from a former owner. I think they put a cam in for carbs as well but I'm not going to check that out. I think I'm gonna send these adjusters back to AutoAtlanta and get stock ones....from.....Pelican Parts? The Porsche Dealer?

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 27 2014, 09:26 AM) *

The screws shown at the top of the picture are aftermarket "swivel foot" adjusters. The lower ones in the same picture are also aftermarket, and have a larger than stock contact pad. One of the things stock adjusters do is cause the valve to rotate in the guide, just a little with every contact. Swivel feet and 911 adjusters don't do that. It's a designed in feature that you need to consider when doing this mod. BTW, the swivel foot in the picture is, IMO, crap. I've seen lots of failures over the years, and it's been a long time since I saw one in an engine. They were the hot "thing" in the 70s. Difficult to get a feeler gauge in there, too, especially in a 914.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 27 2014, 05:52 AM) *

The 911 swivel foot adjusters are definitely not a drop in upgrade as you will (in addition to clearancing the rockers) need to check your valve geometry to make sure it's proper and if needed, cut custom length pushrods. Most foiks also add the solid

There's that word again. Please explain, in your own words, what makes installing 911 valve adjuster screws an "upgrade". Use valid arguments. Make me a believer. If you use the word "everybody", please list their names and qualifications. This is an open book test.

The Cap'n
Java2570
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 28 2014, 01:26 AM) *

There's that word again. Please explain, in your own words, what makes installing 911 valve adjuster screws an "upgrade". Use valid arguments. Make me a believer. If you use the word "everybody", please list their names and qualifications. This is an open book test.

The Cap'n

Cap'n - I was trying to say they were NOT an upgrade and I do agree with you. And
that is why I used stock adjusters when I rebuilt my stock 2.0L last year. I just didn't word my comments very well....nothing else to see here!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 28 2014, 06:22 AM) *

The Cap'n

Cap'n - I was trying to say they were NOT an upgrade and I do agree with you. And
that is why I used stock adjusters when I rebuilt my stock 2.0L last year. I just didn't word my comments very well....nothing else to see here!

Ahhhh....., I see that now that you've clarified your intent. Awkward wording. Hey, we all do that off and on.

The Cap'n
Steve73
Tech Tips 700 by George Hussey Page 8. point 42:

"For a quieter valve train, install 914-6 swivel type valve adjusting lugs in 70-73 914 rocker arms. This will result in easier, more precise valve adjustments, and longer-lasting valve stem tops."

This is what caused me to go down this rabbit hole.

Stephen

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 28 2014, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 28 2014, 06:22 AM) *

The Cap'n

Ahhhh....., I see that now that you've clarified your intent. Awkward wording. Hey, we all do that off and on.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
Consider the source ... He sells parts, runs a big operation, and likely doesn't get much hands on shop time. I wrenched for 40 plus years, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on what works, what doesn't, and why.

The Cap'n
Steve73
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 28 2014, 03:45 PM) *

Consider the source .........................

The Cap'n

Yea I'm learning fast, we had a pretty awesome hour conversation face to face. But these and the pushrod tube have been less than stellar.

Stephen
Steve73
Talked to AutoAtlanta they were going to ship me the original adjusters for the 2.0L 4-Cyl but George sent me a note about using 1.7L rockers which I have already so I'm gonna go with these parts and report back when it's working. I know I've gotten several comments from other about these adjusters being no good but they are Identical to the parts being sold by others that have been recommended on here:

Example:

Example

QUOTE(Steve73 @ May 28 2014, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 28 2014, 03:45 PM) *

Consider the source .........................

The Cap'n

Yea I'm learning fast, we had a pretty awesome hour conversation face to face. But these and the pushrod tube have been less than stellar.

Stephen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.