Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear reflector panels..where can i find them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JTarver
Rear reflector panels for a 72 2.0 Where can I find one..does anyone on here make these. Ok, I know they aren't original, but I think they are sweet looking. I have heard they are reoutfitted 911? strips that have been altered to fit 914.
Either way, I'd love to find one for a reasonable price. Do they tend to have a cut out area for the rear panel release button?

Any info is always appreciated.

For reference, here is a link to what I'm talking about..minus the push button area I mentioned.

Thanks,
Joe

http://www.p914.com/p914-resources/p914-le...flector-911.jpg

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we bought the company that made them and now make them ourselves . Really nice.
JTarver
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 9 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Have you got a price guide or something to that effect George? The one I'm wanting looks just like the link. basic. Red reflector, black lettering. Just curious how much it'll set me back. Also, is there a hole for the rear trunk release button already on the plate? How do they attach to the car?
Thanks,
Joe
Tom_T
QUOTE(JTarver @ Apr 9 2010, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 9 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Have you got a price guide or something to that effect George? The one I'm wanting looks just like the link. basic. Red reflector, black lettering. Just curious how much it'll set me back. Also, is there a hole for the rear trunk release button already on the plate? How do they attach to the car?
Thanks,
Joe

Joe - IMHO you want the one George makes - not the cut down 911 one, because his is the repro of the one made for 914s which matches the exact length & height (911 type are 1/4" - 1/2" shorter) & won't have the raw cut edge you get from the one in your link.

AA has a free downloadable pdf parts 914 catalog on their website, with hot links to their online order system, or just call AA & ask for the proper part.
Pat Garvey
Sorry Joe!

We take the originality thing pretty serious.

As much as I appreciate the look of the PORSCHE fill panel, it isn't original (in your own words).

No harm meant, but this will be moved to the garage.

Sorry, it's my job as moderator of this forum.

Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 9 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Joe - IMHO you want the one George makes - not the cut down 911 one

IHMO, the cut down 911 one looks MUCH better than the repros as it is the original Porsche reflective material ...

stirthepot.gif Andy
Eric_Shea

Plus... where would you mount the rear fog light if there was a reflector panel there? confused24.gif
JTarver
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2010, 03:21 PM) *

IHMO, the cut down 911 one looks MUCH better than the repros as it is the original Porsche reflective material ...

stirthepot.gif Andy

Thanks for the input, sorry I didn't realize I had posted on the originality and history part of the forum. My bad Pat.
Nice one Andy, I see what you're saying. lol
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2010, 04:21 PM) *

stirthepot.gif Andy

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

The repro has always looked too dark and burgundy to me. I am biased because I had the cut-down 911 factory reflector on my car for many years. Finally got rid of it, which wasn't cheap.

There are three setups: 1) the original 1970s 911 reflector (with studs, as in your photo) with black lettering which has been discontinued, 2) the replacement factory 911 reflector (which has "ghosted" red-on-red lettering and doesn't look right on a 1970s 914 to me), 3) and then the black-on-burgundy repros.

If you can find a factory 1970s 911 reflector in nice shape for a reasonable price (good luck!), Tap Plastics or anybody with the right cutter can modify it to fit between the 914's taillights, just don't tell the 911 people you are doing it! stirthepot.gif

pete
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 9 2010, 05:22 PM) *

Plus... where would you mount the rear fog light if there was a reflector panel there? confused24.gif

Souldn't be a problem Eric. Just notch the drivers side of the panel & fit it there. Actually, it might look better that way since it would "blend". Of course, you could always drill holes in te bumper & install it there, but I like the former option. Hmmm, yeah, thinking about that. Think George could slice one down to make it work?
lol-2.gif
iamchappy
i actually like the ghost one better on my car, i have both types.
RJMII
Here's the one on mine...

and the solenoid (that's not bolted in with all the mechanism right now)
URY914
What is a used one worth? Manual not electric.
tat2dphreak

agree.gif personal opinion of course smile.gif

engman makes (or used to make at least) a nice cable pull to use instead of the electronic solenoid btw
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 9 2010, 05:27 PM) *

i actually like the ghost one better on my car, i have both types.

uh....very hard to argue with that! drooley.gif
Rand
You should see the options.... Of super cool additives a local street vendor wanted me to paste on the ass of my car.

I cannot possibly argue with Chappy. As good as a 914 gets beerchug.gif

So yes, it can be tastefully done on *some* builds.

Just remember, it has been UNtastefully done on most.
PRS914-6
Here is the 911 version cut down. If you cut one, it leaves the ends open for humidity to enter. If you are careful, you can use black silicone and gently push it inside the ends and it leaves a nice factory looking trimmed end that is black trimmed. Also, make sure you use a plastic blade or a fine tooth band saw or you will shatter the ends.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 10 2010, 01:24 AM) *

Also, make sure you use a plastic blade or a fine tooth band saw or you will shatter the ends.

Put your table saw blade on backwards,
But only do this with plastic, any plastic (ie vinyl siding, plastic trims, etc).
Eliminates shattering.
kconway
That "ghosted" version looks great, nice update.

Can you apply these with emblem tape or something similar instead of drilling new holes?
JTarver
RJ has what I'm looking for nailed! That even looks like my car since mine is silver/grey..(for the time being).

Where did you get yours RJ? Are these things cost prohibitive? On the solenoid, is it a pain to install..looks fairly uncomplicated..but don't most things that are a total bitch to do. lol

The cord version might be my way to go, since if the solenoid ever went out and I needed something out of the trunk I'd be SOL.

Thanks,
Joe
iamchappy
I had an electric solenoid latch but the added weight of the lid with the spoiler on it made opening it a two man job. i use the manuel cable release one now and it works great.
RJMII
I got mine used from the classifieds section. The solenoid is EASY with the configuration that I have.

It bolts in over top of the latch mechanism with the same bolts that the latch uses. If you can wire in a momentary connector switch, you're golden.

As for getting locked out because of a bad solenoid or no electricity, you can install a back-up plan. (wire going through the bottom of the trunk with an extra release cable... I haven't bothered because I've been too busy playing with other things)
Gigamight
Sorry for a hijack, but the reflector I have for my car has paint peeling on the backside. From what I can see, there is a silver paint that is for the reflector portion, and black for the lettering right? Well, if the silver is peeling off, can it be repaired without looking like crap?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 10 2010, 05:27 PM) *

Sorry for a hijack, but the reflector I have for my car has paint peeling on the backside. From what I can see, there is a silver paint that is for the reflector portion, and black for the lettering right? Well, if the silver is peeling off, can it be repaired without looking like crap?

To repair you have to split the front and back. You could do this yourself and save money. Just get some silver paint.
johnnie5
My car has the original 911 reflector.... which reflects, whereas the aftermarket one's do not. I am also running the Engman manual trunk release pull.... nice work.
Tom
agree.gif
With RJM11, make sure you do the emergency mod just in case.
I have it in mine and have had to use it several times. Soo much easier than having to go in the trunk the hard way if the electric solenoid acts up.
Tom
tat2dphreak
all this talk of them made me go out and install mine today, and the engman cable pull smile.gif
beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

VaccaRabite
I don't have a reflector, but I also don't have a latch of any kind on my trunk. Over nearly 1000 miles of driving so far, the trunk has never wanted to open up on the road. Several people around here do not have the latches on their trunks. I actually have mine, but just have never goteen around to re-installing it.

But, the point here is that it seems like you don't actually need a trunk latch if you go with a reflector. Unless you want to lock the trunk - which you may want to do.

Zach
Cairo94507
I remember when our cars were new and owners began adding this panel to the rear of 914's. It was not my taste then and it never really grew on me. But if it is done well, then so be it. I always liked the look of the stock rear panel on the 914. I may be in the minority here....sorry.
Mark Henry
You don't like it and that's fine but why are you telling us?
Because reflector owners don't drink the same koolaid as you?
Nowhere in the question was it asked about peeps opinion on reflectors.

Personal choice, you might not like it...but then it's not your car.

BTW this is not aimed at you in particular, so don't be personally offended.
rdr
I have searched the lists, but can't find the manual release anywhere. Does anyone have a link? I was going to drill a 1/2 - 5/8 hole in it and use the stock release.
JamesM
I have been looking into this a lot lately to replace one on a car that was rear ended. There apears to be at least two different aftermarket repo reflectors that i have come accross. One has three white plastic blocks on the back with 2 mounting studs on each side and the other has a single row of studs across the back.

George, which one do you produce? do you have any picture of the front and back?

Thanks

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 9 2010, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2010, 04:21 PM) *

stirthepot.gif Andy

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

The repro has always looked too dark and burgundy to me. I am biased because I had the cut-down 911 factory reflector on my car for many years. Finally got rid of it, which wasn't cheap.

There are three setups: 1) the original 1970s 911 reflector (with studs, as in your photo) with black lettering which has been discontinued, 2) the replacement factory 911 reflector (which has "ghosted" red-on-red lettering and doesn't look right on a 1970s 914 to me), 3) and then the black-on-burgundy repros.

If you can find a factory 1970s 911 reflector in nice shape for a reasonable price (good luck!), Tap Plastics or anybody with the right cutter can modify it to fit between the 914's taillights, just don't tell the 911 people you are doing it! stirthepot.gif

pete

sean_v8_914
these reflectors are made in Hell by Satan himself who hates 914s. he also makes 914 turbo style whale tails and testarossa body kits to go with pinky waiving cup holder having electric window switches
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 12 2010, 04:37 PM) *

these reflectors are made in Hell by Satan himself who hates 914s. he also makes 914 turbo style whale tails and testarossa body kits to go with pinky waiving cup holder having electric window switches

And a V8 in 914 will end in you being turned into satin's personal bitch happy11.gif
Villemi
Mickey is it still fot sale?
oakdalecurtis
Here’s a video of my reflector with an LED light strip behind it connected to the brake light circuit. You can also see my high mounted third strobing brake light under the roof. I also put a second led light strip behind the reflector connected to the running light so at night, the whole back of the car is lit up...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TaQ6msHbFbA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.