Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: **Burnt Rotor Button**
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Russ
Hey,
I hope someone can help out with this one.

As I was driving home today my car started bopping and snarling (miss firing)....

When I got I home I tightened the plugs (They were lose) and pulled the rotor cap off and found a burnt up rotor button as shown...could load photo...bummer

Has anybody experienced this before? If so, what is causing it and how do you fix it?

Engine Details:
2.5L Four
44 Webers
MSD box & Coil & Wires
Engine no longer has points, I can't remember the brand name of the electronic points

Thanks,
Russ
turpin0801@aol.com
803-606-7269
r_towle
replace the rotor and cap.

Rich
messix
a loose plug will cause a poor ground conection and will create a higher voltage to "jump the plug gap. that extra voltage or "current" can cause failures with the cap and rotor. this condition could also hurt the coil.
ArtechnikA
ONLY BOSCH with any modern multiple-spark CD ignition.

If you MUST buy something else - f'rinstance your car died in nowhere and the only available parts store doesn't have what you need - buy all they have - you'll need 'em.

Even with a Bosch, carry a spare.

I had a MSD-6 -explode- a non-Bosch rotor, left me stranded.

The lookalike stuff was designed around the bottom-end of the original specs, and even the Bosch was never designed for the energy carried by modern MSD's and pulse transformers...
Russ
Thanks guys...This seems like what exatly happened... smilie_pokal.gif

Hey the Carolinas Porsche club is hosting a car show at Pine Island, Lake Murray South Carolina on April 17th. Come on out and enjoy some cars and food beerchug.gif

Thanks again!

R
Russ
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 10 2010, 06:57 AM) *

ONLY BOSCH with any modern multiple-spark CD ignition.

If you MUST buy something else - f'rinstance your car died in nowhere and the only available parts store doesn't have what you need - buy all they have - you'll need 'em.

Even with a Bosch, carry a spare.

I had a MSD-6 -explode- a non-Bosch rotor, left me stranded.

The lookalike stuff was designed around the bottom-end of the original specs, and even the Bosch was never designed for the energy carried by modern MSD's and pulse transformers...

ArtechnikaA, what are you using for your cap and rotor?

Thanks,
Russ
Cap'n Krusty
IME, cap and rotor life are severely compromised when an HE ignition setup is used. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 10 2010, 08:18 AM) *

ArtechnikaA, what are you using for your cap and rotor?

In those days it was an E-Prepared ur-GTI and my FLAPS had their own brand of rotors made God-knows-where. I knew I shouldda bought a Bosch but my local sources didn't have them and the Internet was new... Nowadays there really is no excuse not to be prepared with standard maintenance parts.

The Porsche engine is 'under construction' but when complete I will be using this:
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2010, 10:51 AM) *

IME, cap and rotor life are severely compromised when an HE ignition setup is used.

Yup, I agree.
They were designed for good ol' Kettering ignition and are not designed for HE.
CARRY SPARES.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.