Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8K 911 tach with 914-4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Higher redline now, need tach that goes to 8K.

Will an 8K 911 tach work with our 4cyl motors?

Thanks,
dr
joea9146
Yes but No.... The 911 tach would have to have the internals modified to work with with a 914. The 911 Tach counts 6 pulse and converts to a tach reading. The 914 tach is counting 4 pulse....
Bleyseng
Just take them apart and change the face plates. This will work as long as they are roughly the same years 70-75 of cars. Or if you want to go cheap, pull your tach apart, scan the the face plate and photoshop the red mark to wherever you want redline to be, glue it on the old face plate.

Geoff
machina
are you telling me that I can just use my 7K tach and put a hash mark beyond the 7 to around 7.5K?

That is awsome, i never would have thought of that. pray.gif

Thanks,
dr
Bleyseng
Sure why not, haven't you ever hit 2nd gear buy accident on getting on to a freeway an seen it hit 7-8k of rpms? Not a pretty noise that convinced me to fix the effin shifter once and for all.

Geoff laugh.gif
machina
Actually I have "zinged" my old 1.7 at the track more times than I care to remember. I'm going to be more careful with the new motor.

I don't know how many RPM it has seen doing that but I think the pointer came around to the left side of the dial a couple times. unsure.gif

I was always amazed that this old motor stayed together after so many races. Jake told me its not unusual because it is a stock motor "not stressed" and everything is loose.

dr
BIGKAT_83
Best fix for a 30 year old tach is a new Autometer 5" tach fits right in the stock hole with the rubber. Works like a champ. Tachs can be gotten on ebay for less than $100 new. Mine has a memory feature that records the highest rpm. Comes ready to install on 4,6,8 cyl. engines.

Bob
jonwatts
I like that tach, but why does it say GM on it?

One thing I don't see anyone doing with generic tachos is an adjustable red "zone". Most of them have a little red line that you can put wherever you want but it looks too much like the needle and confuses my neanderthal brain.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Mar 31 2004, 07:14 AM)
I like that tach, but why does it say GM on it?

One thing I don't see anyone doing with generic tachos is an adjustable red "zone". Most of them have a little red line that you can put wherever you want but it looks too much like the needle and confuses my neanderthal brain.

GM sells the tach in there perfomance catalog. cost over a $100 more to get it from GM instead of Autometer. List at GM for this is $250 or so I got it on ebay for less than a $100 shipped and was brand new in the box.
Bleyseng
Yeah, they are nice but kinda rice for my taste.
jonwatts
I see, and since it's for a V8 car it's rather fitting after all.
Jake Raby
I would like the part number off that 5" tach. I have 3 similar to it but none of them will fit the hole correctly in the 914 dash..
BIGKAT_83
Jake the part number on the tach is GM#10038474.
It is the autometer 5" series . When I first installed it I took the rubber out of the mounting hole because it didn't seem to fit. I tried tape around the tach and this seemed to work but after a day or two the tach would work out of the mount. I took the tape off and put the rubber back in and put a little petroleum jelly on the inside of the rubber and the tach then slipped right in. You need to make sure the speedo cable and wires are out of the way and to the bottom of the tach instead of the back.

You know it seems like I've used that petroleum jelly trick before somewhere. <_< <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.