Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zone 1 Concours, anyone going?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Anyone going this year? I'm thinking about it. Just not crazy about driving in Long Island.

"On May 14-16, 2010, Metro New York Region will host the 31st Annual Zone 1 Concours and Rally at
the Old Westbury Garden’s and Mansion in Westbury, New York. Weekend activities will include a
Rally and a Full & People’s Choice Concours. This event is geared for both the novice-level as well as
the experienced PCA member.
The 31st Annual Zone 1 Concours will include 2 categories: one a fully judged Concours (no
undercarriages, but wheel wells), and a "peoples choice" car show (wash and shine). Concours preparation will be on
Saturday at the host hotel and the concours show will start promptly Sunday morning, placement of cars by 8:30 am. If you
have any concours questions, contact Daniel Deegan at (585) 924-0271 or email: heis968@yahoo.com"

http://zone1.pca.org/2010%20Zone%201%20Concours%20Rally.pdf

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 10 2010, 03:30 PM) *

Anyone going this year? I'm thinking about it. Just not crazy about driving in Long Island.

"On May 14-16, 2010, Metro New York Region will host the 31st Annual Zone 1 Concours and Rally at
the Old Westbury Garden’s and Mansion in Westbury, New York. Weekend activities will include a
Rally and a Full & People’s Choice Concours. This event is geared for both the novice-level as well as
The 31st Annual Zone 1 Concours will include 2 categories: one a fully judged Concours (no
undercarriages, but wheel wells), and a "peoples choice" car show (wash and shine). Concours preparation will be on
Saturday at the host hotel and the concours show will start promptly Sunday morning, placement of cars by 8:30 am. If you
have any concours questions, contact Daniel Deegan at (585) 924-0271 or email: heis968@yahoo.com"

Thought about it briefly, but it's not a real concours. Don't judge the unercarriage - it's a car show. Shame on them. Shit or get off the pot!
Pat

Apr 19 edit:

Think I might have been a little harsh, but it seems that "full" concours doesn't happen at the Zone/Regional level very often these days. I don't know whether it's a lack of acceptable judges or what, but I miss it. And, since I'v never participated in any concours event where the undercarriage wasn't judged, it's hard for me to accept the loss. The partially judged events are a nice way for others to get involved. I just have a hard time with those events being called a "concours".
tod914
Was at the Paterak bro's workshop this past Sunday. Doesn't seem alot of people will be attending. At least from NNJR. Too much of PIA to get there and back. I'll pass on it too, after giving it some thought.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 11 2010, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 10 2010, 03:30 PM) *

Thought about it briefly, but it's not a real concours. Don't judge the unercarriage - it's a car show. Shame on them. Shit or get off the pot!
Pat

Apr 19 edit:

Think I might have been a little harsh, but it seems that "full" concours doesn't happen at the Zone/Regional level very often these days. I don't know whether it's a lack of acceptable judges or what, but I miss it. And, since I'v never participated in any concours event where the undercarriage wasn't judged, it's hard for me to accept the loss. The partially judged events are a nice way for others to get involved. I just have a hard time with those events being called a "concours".

I for one can only comment on my experience with Zone 1 and the Northeast Region. Having been Zone 1 Concours & Rally Event Chair in 2001 & 2007 in Newport, RI. as well as being an experienced judge in my region, the reason the undercarriage and underside of engine and transaxle are no longer judged is due to lack of preparation time by the participants. This practice ended many years ago, otherwise no one would participate. The wheel wells, both sides of wheels and backing plates of brakes are judged.
One of the problems I see is there is a lack of "experienced" judges in these events and many "judges" are just picked out the crowd without any experience cleaning their own cars. There is also a mixing of makes to make up a class which angers a lot of participants. ie, Boxter vs 914 vs 356. I have found Boxter owners don't want to have their engine checked because they do not know how to remove the cover. Another problem is both Zone 1 & Northeast and many other regions still use score sheets that were used back in the 70's,.... no matter what year or model, air cooled or water pumper. So, even after all these decades, no one wants to make the changes necessary to execute the event fairly and objectively for all.
Don

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.