Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: towing a teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bare 1
On a two wheel dolly. due to circumstances beyond my control I gotta drag my rig from north of Seattle to Phoenix Anybody towed this way?? She got no motor or tranny in her and my wife does'nt like the idea of a full size trailer behind her Grand Cherokee. (she's doing the driving , I have larger responsibilities) I'm a lttle concerned with the front end waltzing all over the place. Any experience with this??
davep
I trailered my LE backwards one time. Not sure what windows were in at the time. Something was open though, and the windshield disappeared (never to be seen again) due to the wind blowing the glass right out.
jimkelly
yes - i tied the steering wheel to keep the front wheels straight.
URY914
If the steering wheel locks works I would think you should be OK. But you need to be careful of the roof. They sometime fly off when being towed b/w.
Silverstreak
The PO of my 914 towed it backward on a dolly from Washington to Florida. The only thing that went wrong is the rear deck lid apparently flew up. I drive a tow truck for a living and don't like towing cars backwards but it has to be done sometimes. Most cars nowadays have locking steering wheels so I first lock it as straight as possible then run the seatbelt threw and around it and slide the seat back. This car will be different obviously but you can lock it in place with a ratchett strap. Tell your wife to go easy. I noticed you said there is no motor or tranny, are the cv's still attached? You may be able to tow it from the front since there's no tranny to detroy.
DBCooper
Yeah the top, but I've also heard of a windshield being popped out of a backwards tow by a gust of wind. If I were doing it and going that far I'd pull the axles and tow it normally, front first. And if the tires were good I'd flat tow it. Lots easier and more stable than a dolly. Probably cheaper, too.
hot_shoe914
I have towed one of mine around town backwards many times and even down the interstate to another town with no problems. Get a couple of bungees to secure the steering wheel straight and roll the windows up and make sure the top is secure. I am about to tow the same car from Memphis to RICHMOND, vA. iF YOU DO REMOVE THE AXELS THEN i RECOMMEND TOWING FROM THE FRONT. I towed one from Memhis, to LA and then towed my LE back to Memphis on a tow dolly. Never knew it was back there.

Good Luck,
Shoe
dakotaewing
Please don't tow it backwards -
Chances are significant that there will be damage to your car
if you tow it that way any amount of distance...
Seen it more than a few times, the results vary from ripping the top off,
the windshield coming out, the rear trunk lid popping up, over and onto
the car, and then into traffic behind you -

No matter how it turned out, it was far more trouble than doing it the right way the first time...
McMark
All kinds of things that can go wrong. Good luck. unsure.gif
JRust
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 10 2010, 03:37 PM) *

I trailered my LE backwards one time. Not sure what windows were in at the time. Something was open though, and the windshield disappeared (never to be seen again) due to the wind blowing the glass right out.

LOL! I did the same damn thing. It's fine but definately make sure the doors are closed & the window is up.
montoya 73 2.0
What about flat towing?
Krank
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 10 2010, 09:56 PM) *

What about flat towing?

For the future, what about flat towing fully assembled (with trans installed)?
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Krank @ Apr 10 2010, 09:35 PM) *

What about flat towing?

forgot said no trans. chair.gif
bdstone914
I have towed 914's backward on a two wheel dollies a few times. Had one incident where the front caliper bolts fell out and the caliper wedged in the wheel and locked it up solid. This was just after towing 500 miles and pulling into a parking lot. Those flat sheet metal bolt retainers are important on the front calipers bolts.

Bruce
DBCooper
QUOTE(Krank @ Apr 10 2010, 08:35 PM) *

What about flat towing?

If the car being towed is sound there's no comparison, flat's the easiest and safest. I've towed with a dolly, on a trailer behind a big box truck, and flat. If you have a huge tow vehicle pick any of them, but that changes when the tow vehicle gets smaller. The dolly is almost a lane wide and gusts can steer even a compact truck. I'll never tow a dolly behind a car ever again. But behind even a mid-sized car a flat-towed 914 simply disappears. You need to look back to know it's still there. California to Texas and Texas to California several times with an Acura RL, and my son from California to Connecticut towing with a Subaru wagon. Get the Rennenmetal hitch and don't look back.
Gint
I think I've drug a 914 just about any way it's possible to do it. Except for flat towing backwards. Maybe flat/backwards/snowstorm... idea.gif no, nevermind.

Tried it once backwards on a two wheel dolly. I ended up stopping before too long and turning the car around. Can't really remember why right now, but I wouldn't try to do it backwards again. The possibility os something going wrong is much greater backwards than forwards.

You've got the stubs and hubs installed in the back right?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 11 2010, 11:54 AM) *

You've got the stubs and hubs installed in the back right?

agree.gif With the stub axles removed from the halfshafts and properly installed with hubs this is all you need. You may in fact be better off since you're not spinning the transmission.

I wouldn't trust the steering lock but that's me...
It _shouldn't_ break but if it did for whatever reason the consequences would be unpleasant...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 10 2010, 06:26 PM) *

I have towed one of mine around town backwards many times and even down the interstate to another town with no problems. Get a couple of bungees to secure the steering wheel straight and roll the windows up and make sure the top is secure. I am about to tow the same car from Memphis to RICHMOND, vA. iF YOU DO REMOVE THE AXELS THEN i RECOMMEND TOWING FROM THE FRONT. I towed one from Memhis, to LA and then towed my LE back to Memphis on a tow dolly. Never knew it was back there.

Good Luck,
Shoe

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
r_towle
It should be fine.
the steering will stay straight even if the lock breaks.
I would personally never do it, but physics says it should follow the direction of travel.

If it was me, I would remove the axles from the stub axles and leave the stub axle in place so you dont ruin the bearings.

It will tow fine that way and you wont risk any glass blowing off, or the roof, or the rear deck lid....none of which are designed to go 60mph in reverse..

Rich
Gint
No it won't if the lock isn't engaged. BTDT. It will stay straight (sort of) wen you're going straight. And it's no fun when you've got 3 steering points going. Changing lanes on a highway ... whee!
bare 1
Have to look at those axles again. I just replaced the rear wheel bearings and can't remember how all that goes together right now I kinda thought with the axles out nothing much is holding the wheel on . flat towing sounds goood and would be the least work for the wife's Grand. Buuut How do you hook it up??? What's this hitch your're talking about and where do I get one??? Not much up there to hook to
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bare 1 @ Apr 12 2010, 01:15 PM) *

Have to look at those axles again. I just replaced the rear wheel bearings and can't remember how all that goes together right now I kinda thought with the axles out nothing much is holding the wheel on .

That is correct.
This is why you _separate the stub axle from the outboard CV's_ and re-install them.

Actually you must do this any time you put weight on the rear bearings...
With the stub axles re-bolted to the hubs, you're good to go.

I've actually seen a 914 tow bar - once - a long time ago. it was custom-manufactured and bolted to lugs that extended through the front bumper. I'm not sure how it was attached to the tub on the other side of the bumper...

The front A-Arm mounts would be another good place to attach - if you could find a tow bar. I've seen them advertised from time to time by private parties but have never actually materialized. They might be out there but they are not common.

Don't forget that if you have _any_ wheels on the ground, the vehicle must be registered. Many have got away with it but just be aware of the situation. A flat-towed vehicle should have brake, tail, and turn signal lights. You might get away with that, too, in the day time, but one couldn't recommend it...
hsus2k
Just purched this Tow bar Bracket for my 914 few weeks ago. Still haven't mount it yet, but it suppose to mount to the two front A-arm bracket (cover) mount area.
Make sure the area is not rusted!
and hooks up to your Super Beetle "Y"-shaped towbar, or they have another one for the Reese towbar.
914 Tow Bar Bracket

Since mine it's a roller right now, I can tow it to the paint shop without worrying about my transmission.

But do I really need to disconnect the hub to the Axel when transmission is in place? Even though if I lock it in nutural?

I used to tow my Bugs & Super beetle with a tow bar, and all I have to do is have the key in the steering wheel to allow it to turn and have the grear in Nutural, and I have tow many times on the highway long distances (and without any instances)?
confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(hsus2k @ Apr 12 2010, 03:03 PM) *

But do I really need to disconnect the hub to the Axel when transmission is in place?

No.
6freak
NOT SUPPOSE TO HAUL A CAR ON A DOLLY BACKWARDS ...ITS INTENED TO BE DUEL POINT hitch ...at the hitch and at the steering rack .....if you strap the back of the car to it hows it gonna swivel ....its got 4 wheels on the ground...unless the DOLLY itself swivels at the hitch and were the car straps on....just say`nn ......JMO
TROJANMAN
Buy your wife an airline ticket
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 12 2010, 04:58 PM) *

NOT SUPPOSE TO HAUL A CAR ON A DOLLY BACKWARDS ...ITS INTENED TO BE DUEL POINT hitch ...at the hitch and at the steering rack .....if you strap the back of the car to it hows it gonna swivel ....its got 4 wheels on the ground...unless the DOLLY itself swivels at the hitch and were the car straps on....just say`nn ......JMO

what?
bare 1
Aw the internet .. one question so many answers!!!!! Some are even helpful. At least I'm figuring out what NOT to do.. Which is cheaper Trailer or tow bar I have neither . shades.gif lol-2.gif Thanks to all any additional input is welcome
Porcharu
I would convince your wife to just tow a trailer - tow dolly is just as wide and they bounce over all the place.
montoya 73 2.0
For a flat tow;

Adjustable tow bar (Reese Type) Haulmaster (Harbor Frieght) 59.99+shipping

Rennenmetal tow bar bracket 100.00 + shipping

Magnetic tow lights Haulmaster (Harbor Frieght) 29.99 + shipping

You'll also probably need Safety chains, wiring adapters, Tow hitch receiver with 2" ball, etc.

you'll spend around $300.00 or so for this set-up.

Unless I'm wrong?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 12 2010, 07:13 PM) *

I would convince your wife to just tow a trailer - tow dolly is just as wide and they bounce over all the place.

And consider that a U-Haul 'car transporter' (trailer...) will come with brakes. OK - they're surge brakes but WAY better than nothing - which is what you get with the dolly. So you get to stop Grand Cherokee + two dolly (about 1000 lbs) + 914 (figure ~ 2000 lbs) on brakes designed to stop the Jeep alone.
6freak
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 12 2010, 02:32 PM) *

what?

when you put the front wheels on the dolly ...you dont lock the front wheels,so the steering wheel turns freely as you go around a corner right ! if you put the back of the car on said dolly and lock the front wheels the dolly will skid around the corner ..dolly requires two pivot points its not a trailer ...hope that helps get my point across...IMO flat tow is the safest way for someone with no trailer expirience
bandjoey
The best $100 you'll ever spend is a Uhaul drive on trailer. I've pulled one across country and never knew it was behind the car. Your wife will be super happy 10 miles down the road, and no issues. biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 12 2010, 04:28 PM) *
For a flat tow;

Adjustable tow bar (Reese Type) Haulmaster (Harbor Frieght) 59.99+shipping

Rennenmetal tow bar bracket 100.00 + shipping

Magnetic tow lights Haulmaster (Harbor Frieght) 29.99 + shipping

You'll also probably need Safety chains, wiring adapters, Tow hitch receiver with 2" ball, etc.

you'll spend around $300.00 or so for this set-up.

Unless I'm wrong?
That sounds like about what I spent before it was all said and done. Works pretty well and it's the lightest (essentially just the 914) operation you're going to get. But... like a tow dolly, you can't back the rig up. Just a point to remember when you're considering your options. You can end up driving into a situation where you have to back up and can't. BTDT
montoya 73 2.0
I towed my Teener from San Jose, Ca. to Southern Oregon (500+ miles one way) on a tow dolly behind a Ford Exploder. The trip down to get her was pretty crazy! no weight on the dolly and it bounced literally everywhere! Trip back to Oregon was fine. Up 680 to HWY.5 up Shasta and across 97 at WEED, California. I just didn't like the idea of it being so low in the rear (since we have these "Fat Bottom Girls"!) cause I had her with the fronts on the dolly. I'll Flat tow her the next time.
jcd914
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 12 2010, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 12 2010, 02:32 PM) *

what?

when you put the front wheels on the dolly ...you dont lock the front wheels,so the steering wheel turns freely as you go around a corner right ! if you put the back of the car on said dolly and lock the front wheels the dolly will skid around the corner ..dolly requires two pivot points its not a trailer ...hope that helps get my point across...IMO flat tow is the safest way for someone with no trailer expirience

The front or rear wheels are strapped down to a platform on the tow dolly and the platform pivots so the wheels don't have to do anything except stay attached to the car.
You can put a car backwards on a tow dolly, I have done it, towed a wrecked Audi from LA to Sacramento backwards on a tow dolly. It had been hit in the rear and the rear suspension was bent up so I could not put the front wheel on the dolly. With the front engine trans configuration of the Audi it was tail heavy towing that way but it worked out OK.

I would flat tow it if you can come up with the tow bar and mounts. I have used a Ford Aerostar, Ford Explorer, Toyota pick-up and my RV to flat tow 914's and they all handled it well. I have had a 914 (and other cars) on a trailer behind both the Aerostar and Explorer and they did fine but I prefer the less overall weight of flat towing.

Jim

6freak
[quote name='jcd914' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:08 AM' post=...unless the DOLLY itself swivels at the hitch and were the car straps on....just say`nn ......JMO

[/quote]

The front or rear wheels are strapped down to a platform on the tow dolly and the platform pivots so the wheels don't have to do anything except stay attached to the car.
You can put a car backwards on a tow dolly, I have done it, towed a wrecked Audi from LA to Sacramento backwards on a tow dolly. It had been hit in the rear and the rear suspension was bent up so I could not put the front wheel on the dolly. With the front engine trans configuration of the Audi it was tail heavy towing that way but it worked out OK.

I would flat tow it if you can come up with the tow bar and mounts. I have used a Ford Aerostar, Ford Explorer, Toyota pick-up and my RV to flat tow 914's and they all handled it well. I have had a 914 (and other cars) on a trailer behind both the Aerostar and Explorer and they did fine but I prefer the less overall weight of flat towing.

Jim
[/quote]
so some dollys do pivot under the wheels ...I thought that they were all solid ...
BigDBass
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 12 2010, 09:55 PM) *

But... like a tow dolly, you can't back the rig up. Just a point to remember when you're considering your options. You can end up driving into a situation where you have to back up and can't. BTDT

Yikes, I'm glad you mentioned that! I'll have to reconsider any plans for flat towing!
ArtechnikA
"Can't" back up is really more like "be really careful and be ready to accept the risks."

I brought a 911 from Kansas to Pennsylvania on a tow dolly behind a 27' UHaul moving truck. Came a situation where I not only had to back up, but make a 3-point turn. Alone, at night, in the rain, in an unfamiliar residential neighborhood. I lived to tell the tale and the only issue with the 911 was the exhaust got bent a little when it got backed into a berm. The exhaust was cr&p anyway and destined for replacement so NBD.

I would never recommend it, of course. And it was very scary because you can't see sh!t. Near as I can tell, jack-knifing is the big risk so you have to keep everything as straight as possible.
Porcharu
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 11 2010, 03:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Krank @ Apr 10 2010, 08:35 PM) *

What about flat towing?

If the car being towed is sound there's no comparison, flat's the easiest and safest. I've towed with a dolly, on a trailer behind a big box truck, and flat. If you have a huge tow vehicle pick any of them, but that changes when the tow vehicle gets smaller. The dolly is almost a lane wide and gusts can steer even a compact truck. I'll never tow a dolly behind a car ever again. But behind even a mid-sized car a flat-towed 914 simply disappears. You need to look back to know it's still there. California to Texas and Texas to California several times with an Acura RL, and my son from California to Connecticut towing with a Subaru wagon. Get the Rennenmetal hitch and don't look back.

If you flat tow you MUST check the angle of the tow bar to the towing vehicle. I used to flat tow my old GTI with an F-150 - this had the tow bar pointing up to the truck and that 1900 lb. car could lift the back of that 4800 lb. truck under braking with no problem. Almost jack-knifed the rig the first time this happened (jerk cut me off on the freeway.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.