Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: piston ring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
so i have a brand new piston with less than 500 miles on it with a huge problem due to the valve seat giving in and impating the sob dry.gif so my question is a noob one.

do i remove the rings from this piston since it is new and place these rings on my best used piston. or do i need to buy a new set of rings for the used piston ?

go easy on me please... biggrin.gif
Don M
this would be an easy one for an experienced builder with parts in hand however if you don't have the confidence to make the call I'd recommend new rings and probably piston (of equal weight) as well.
ME733
Don M has given you the best responsable answer anyone can and should give you....murray
orange914
i wouldn't scare away a cautious noob from reuseing the (500 mile) rings on a good used piston. i would recommend using a ring expansion tool if your not real confident on removing/installing. like what was said, wheigh the new piston and if you have to remove weight check on where to take it off.

mike
sean_v8_914
I would not recommend re-using those rings. ONLY AN EXPERIENCED engine builder could successfully remove rings without damaging them and have teh trained "feel" that they are undamaged
new rings
used balanced piston
rehone cylinder for fresh rings.
jsayre914
thanks guys,

i will order new rings tommorow, and the head should be back in my hands friday. cheer.gif If all goes well... engine will be put back in saturday afternoon, and i will be driving again driving.gif beerchug.gif
ME733
.............IF ANYTHING HIT THE PISTON....REPLACE IT....and you indicated something did.
jsayre914
QUOTE(ME733 @ Apr 11 2010, 09:05 PM) *

.............IF ANYTHING HIT THE PISTON....REPLACE IT....and you indicated something did.

the piston is shot. that was not the question. the rings on the dead piston are brand new, like one week old, i was asking if i could reuse the rings from that piston onto a usable piston. Then i rememberd that Mike already bought me a set of new rings rolleyes.gif

now i have to find them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.