Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome or black
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djporsche
I picked up one front and three rear 73 bumper today. The front is chrome but has some small rust holes on the sides. Two backs are chrome and one is black. I'm not sure if i should go all black or chrome. Also came with two back tops in ok shape.
So what do ya think? I got a red 73 with black and polished 2 liters. Black or chrome
Tom_T
QUOTE(djporsche @ Apr 10 2010, 10:48 PM) *

I picked up one front and three rear 73 bumper today. The front is chrome but has some small rust holes on the sides. Two backs are chrome and one is black. I'm not sure if i should go all black or chrome. Also came with two back tops in ok shape.
So what do ya think? I got a red 73 with black and polished 2 liters. Black or chrome

TJ - all 1973 MY 914 2.0's came with the Appearance Group of options - including chrome bumpers, so it's best to keep it that way.
Besides - you'll love the Bling! with the Fuchs 2L alloy wheels! biggrin.gif

You can take that rust-pitted front bumper to a good chrome shop where they can fill them strip the old chrome &do a fresh 3-step re-chrome (copper-nickel-chrome), just get references for a good high quality local chrome shop from local car resto guys/gals.

... and .... welcome.png
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 11 2010, 01:07 AM) *

QUOTE(djporsche @ Apr 10 2010, 10:48 PM) *

TJ - all 1973 MY 914 2.0's came with the Appearance Group of options - including chrome bumpers, so it's best to keep it that way.
Besides - you'll love the Bling! with the Fuchs 2L alloy wheels! biggrin.gif

You can take that rust-pitted front bumper to a good chrome shop where they can fill them strip the old chrome &do a fresh 3-step re-chrome (copper-nickel-chrome), just get references for a good high quality local chrome shop from local car resto guys/gals.

... and .... welcome.png

agree.gif
markb
I've had black, body color, and chrome on my 72, and the chrome is best by far. smile.gif
azbill
Chrome bumpers are period correct for the '73 cars. My opinion is chrome
messix
i was given a front chromy and a back that was painted metallic silver, i like the silver if a chomy isn't available or funds are restricted.
VaccaRabite
I know it isn't right, but I don't like chrome on these cars.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
I love black wub.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 11 2010, 01:17 PM) *

I love black wub.gif

I think the chrome bumper especially on the back makes the sight line....especialy on the 73...course I am biased...I have a 73....
EdwardBlume
Depends on how straight the chrome is... it shows...
914_teener
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 11 2010, 02:52 PM) *

Depends on how straight the chrome is... it shows...

I agree...I had my straightened and then rechromed...made all the difference in the world
matthepcat
I voted black becuase I think sports cars look better with no chrome. Chrome reminds me of old hot rods & classic cruisers.
jsayre914
chrome for sure
djporsche
Thanks guys. I really like both looks. I'll have to see how much re-chroming the front and back will run me. I need to find a good chrome shop here in San Antonio.
tat2dphreak
chrome smile.gif
Mark Henry
Plaid
balljoint
Mark, you're fired.

I voted body colour. smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(balljoint @ Apr 12 2010, 05:23 PM) *

Mark, you're fired.

I voted body colour. smile.gif

agree.gif

My car is in the paint shop right now getting body color bumpers, along with body color fenders, doors, targa bar, hoods, etc.
championgt1
I really think it depends on the color of the car.
dadaDaveed
QUOTE(djporsche @ Apr 12 2010, 12:23 AM) *

Thanks guys. I really like both looks. I'll have to see how much re-chroming the front and back will run me. I need to find a good chrome shop here in San Antonio.

Hey TJ, I voted chrome. If you find a quality chrome shop in SA, let me know. My rear bumper was painted black and it needs help.

-DB
djporsche
QUOTE(dadaDaveed @ Apr 12 2010, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(djporsche @ Apr 12 2010, 12:23 AM) *

Hey TJ, I voted chrome. If you find a quality chrome shop in SA, let me know. My rear bumper was painted black and it needs help.

-DB

WILL DO.

Well guys im going chrome. Installed the back, the top was all white so i painted it. Still need a front top.

IPB Image

Thanks guys.
CMONNETT
There's a good chrome shop over in Converse. I had them do one for me years ago. I can't remember what they charged but they did great work. They were over off FM78 by Judson H.S.

Chris
dadaDaveed
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Apr 13 2010, 09:12 AM) *

There's a good chrome shop over in Converse. I had them do one for me years ago. I can't remember what they charged but they did great work. They were over off FM78 by Judson H.S.

Chris

Based on a google maps search, that would have to be Alamo Plating and Metal Finish. Sound right?

Click to view attachment
CMONNETT
That would be the place. They did nice work.

Chris
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 11 2010, 12:44 PM) *

I know it isn't right, but I don't like chrome on these cars.

Zach

agree.gif
Root_Werks
I guess it does depend on the 914, but I really like the black as an accent to the body color. Breaks up the car nicely.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 13 2010, 10:39 AM) *

I guess it does depend on the 914, but I really like the black as an accent to the body color. Breaks up the car nicely.

Yep, I voted chrome, but have to say I am into black more and more these days — esp. on flared cars, but increasingly on the non-flared cars, too.

It can look flat-out GREAT.

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.