Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prepping for paint - windshield removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Finally getting the car ready for paint. There's been few threads on windshield removal in the past. Wanted to put a thumbs up for this critter:

Click to view attachment

$10 at Harbor Freight. Took out the old trim clips with sharp wood chisel. Used the winshield removal tool - was less than 15 minutes taking my time.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Gary
Dropped the motor last week when my boy was home from college:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Gotta newly rebuilt 3.2L to replace the 2.7L. Fresh rebuild on the spare tranny - great time at the PNW transmission clinic a few months back.

Yesterday drained the old fuel, removed the axles, removed the windshield. Should be getting close. biggrin.gif
McMark
mueba.gif It's so nice when the windshields come out cleanly. I'm really glad yours did. Having the right tools increases your chances of success a TON!
turnaround89
I broke the windshield removal tool from HF, went and got piano wire to cut thru the old seal, worked great. Thats awesome that your so close to paint, can't wait to see it finished!! piratenanner.gif
Katmanken
I broke the windshield.

The OEM factory seal sets up like a rock and nothing can cut it.
EdwardBlume
It helps to take your time. I scraped alot of butyl out first and then had an easier time pulling the windshield from there...

I did destroy the inner dash seal though..
EdwardBlume
I never got the piano wire method though, the bent tool works very well in getting behind it at the right angle...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.