Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil temp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
so I have this OEM VDO what calibrated gauge can I use?

Any idea what works with stock sender? idea.gif

Thanks
Will
Tom_T
That looks like the proper stock OT gauge for a 74 2.0, with the thin red band (73 had a wider band), so it should work with the stock sender.

Double check the part no. on the back, against the part no. in the Porsche 914 PET parts catalog (download free from Porsche website under Classics section if you don't have one already).
realred914
what i have is a thermocouple on a hand held readout, teh thermocouple is on a longwire,t hat I insert intot eh dip stick hole. I warm up my 914, then return to my drive way I put in the thermocouple and start taking readings as it cools off,
On my VDO gage (just like yours) I take a felt pen and mark teh gage at 212F and a few other data points (212F is just near the midpopint by the way I tested more than one 914 oil gage and both are 212F near the mid point)

thuus you can calibrate you vdp gage.

frankly any gage with numbers is no more better than the stock gage with no numbers if you do not test it your self to make sure the manufactures numbers are right!

i rather have an un-numbered gage that i put on own ink pen mark(s) on for my limits, than have a numbered gage and not be sure if it is right or not.

Buy or borrow a thermocouple to use to calibrate you stock gage or any gage.

have fun beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
imo, get the gauge with numbers (Pelican carries them, so I'm sure AA, GPR, whoever you like does too...) get a matching sender for accuracy.
bugsy0
Do any of the manufacturers (VDO, Westach, etc.) provide calibration information or does everybody just believe they're accurate?
realred914
bootm line is it need be calibrated after install. the variations in folks wiring ability voltaghe supply in the car, etc... amke it impartive that you confirm calibration if you want to be accurate.

No I dont trust they gages right out of the box. You need to test the gage as it is set up to run. with the wires hooked up as you run in the car, with the same 12 volt power supply as in the car. that is the only way to be sure. get a known good standard that you trust, and campair it to teh gage you have installed. take readings both hot and cold and inbetween (oft the gages are NOT linear reading)

test and test and test again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.