Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping an entire body harness, suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
So I have the harness removed from the front without cutting anything, and that part is in the cabin now. I have the rear section pulled into the engine bay. The only part that is left is to get the rear section through the firewall into the cabin.

I don't want to cut any wires if I don't have to, and I would like to save the grommets. So is there a trick to getting the harness through the firewall safely without cutting metal? Am I supposed to do it as a bundle? Or should I do it wire by wire?

Once I get it out, how do I get it into the other car? I am looking at this firewall dilemma and thinking that putting a harness back in is going to be almost impossible to do in one piece.

Any tricks or suggestions?
Joe Bob
Email or PM Jeff Bowlsby, he be the wiring guru....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 11 2010, 06:59 PM) *

Any tricks or suggestions?

Yes. I did a extensive writeup on how to do just that. With pictures.
Do a search, i'm too lazy to find it right now. rolleyes.gif

It's not too bad, i've done it 5 times or so by now ... It's a lot easier with a set of helping hands as you fiddle the harness through the rear firewall.

shades.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Sir Andy would be the best one to describe the process he has been through it several times. All I can say is that the larger connector housings that may not go through the smaller holes...come apart. Covers snap off, wire terminals slip out of their housings after the locking tang is depressed. The chassis were built, then the harnesses installed...'removal is the reverse of installation.'
McMark
How do you think they got it in there? Cutting metal is absolutely not necessary. It's a tight fit, but it goes.
VaccaRabite
Seconded the part about getting a second set of hands to help you. it will all go through, but it is VERY helpful to have someone pushing on the wire while you pull on it.

Zach
EdwardBlume
I've done it twice and just take your time.. its easy to get frustrated and say.. "no way" but you can do it, and yes it does help to have a second person...
PanelBilly
Not as hard as it looks. A little libe on the wires makes it slide easier. I heard that sex lotion works good because it cleans up with water, but I never had the nerve to go buy it
SirAndy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 12 2010, 07:55 AM) *

but I never had the nerve to go buy it

biggrin.gif

Send your girlfriend and/or wife ...
shades.gif Andy
Gigamight
WOOHOO!

I got one out! Now to remove the bad harness from the project car, and put the good one I just removed in. Only took me a few hours to get the whole thing out. Not looking forward to the reverse procedure.

I think I found the thread you were talking about Andy. It was helpful. I am sure I will be starting another thread or 2 when I get to plugging everything back in... yes, I neglected to label everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.