Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT and Cylinder Head Measurement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
Apologize if this is a dumb question...

I want to add a Cyl head gauge to my 2.0 engine. How do I do this?

I know I have Cylinder 3 with the EFI head measurement, but where do I add an additional sensor?

Thanks,
Larouex
McMark
Covered here. cool.gif EDIT: Whoops, this is my EGT installation.
McMark
Whoops! I linked to my EGT install. Here's the CHT install info:

I finally invested in a CHT gauge. This is the one I got.
IPB Image

I wanted to get a temperature compensating model. VDO CHT gauges read high or low depending on the ambient temperature in the cabin. And as a bonus, this model is about $15 cheaper than the VDO. wink.gif

It should be here Saturday, and then I get to install it. It will be interesting to see what my head temps are running at with 9.5:1 compression.

I wanted to get a baseline of CHT and oil temps before I pull the motor and upgrade the cam.
McMark
Just as I promised! biggrin.gif

Here are the parts:

CHT Gauge

This is the Micro 1000 gauge as mentioned. It ranges from 0-600 degree F or 0-300 degrees C. The top row of numbers is F, the bottom row is C. It's got two thumbscrews on the back for the collar that will hold the gauge in the dash (or wherever). It comes with a bulb assembly included for night visibility (I forgot to take a picture of that). The back has a + and a - connection for the wire extension.

IPB Image
IPB Image

This is the link to buy the gauge.
McMark
Sender
You will need to buy the appropriate probe/sender for your application. A standard Type IV spark plug is 14 mm. The smaller plugs that Len is using is a 12 mm motorcycle spark plug. I can't vouch for which sender should be used for this application. The sender only comes with about 12" of wire. You will need to purchase an extension lead (see below). The sender comes with a section of heat shrink tubing to protect the screw connections between the sender and the extension leads. The section of wire close to the heat source is protected by a braided wire exterior. This is a very nice feature. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This is the link to buy the senders.
McMark
Extension Leads
You will need to purchase either the 7' or the 15' CHT extension lead (make sure you don't accidentally get the EGT leads). These are special wires. You can not use normal copper wire to extend the wires. The wires come pre-crimped with the appropriate connections. So it's a simple plug in installation. I purchased the 15' kit for my 914 as I suspect the 7' would be a bit too short. (UPDATE: 7' IS too short.)

IPB Image

This is the link to buy the extension leads.
underthetire
Yes, you need thermocouple extension wire. If you know what thermocouple it is, you can buy it per foot at Omega. Thats why the VDO ones read wrong, it's because they use a std wire from the gauge to the thermocouple.
toadman
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 12 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Whoops! I linked to my EGT install. Here's the CHT install info:

I finally invested in a CHT gauge. This is the one I got.
IPB Image

I wanted to get a temperature compensating model. VDO CHT gauges read high or low depending on the ambient temperature in the cabin. And as a bonus, this model is about $15 cheaper than the VDO. wink.gif

It should be here Saturday, and then I get to install it. It will be interesting to see what my head temps are running at with 9.5:1 compression.

I wanted to get a baseline of CHT and oil temps before I pull the motor and upgrade the cam.

McMark, I do not see the link to your CHT install. I am interested in this subject, too, so please provide it when you can. Thanks!
McMark
I'm not sure what isn't covered above. But the physical installation is pretty simple. The sender is installed under the #3 spark plug. Connect the extension wires to the sender. Route the wires into the cabin and connect them to the gauge. Go drive the car. cool.gif The gauge doesn't require a +12v connection (except for the night light).

Any other questions? I'm happy to explain any more.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 12 2010, 09:47 PM) *

I'm not sure what isn't covered above.
Any other questions? I'm happy to explain any more.

Sometimes when I sneeze really hard, I fart.
Can you explain that?

Rich
Larouex
Thanks, that is excellent and I have everything ordered.

Larouex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.