Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S.D tour results
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Ricard
Not to steal Britain's Thunder, and I am sure he is still traveling or sleeping.
and isn't Evan one of our's too? driving Grants car...

F Prepared Drivers: 6 Trophies: 2
T 1 7 Evan Fullerton 1999 Porsche Boxster Bl M&H 49.481(1) 46.866 46.147 46.147
[107] Costa Mesa,CA Brad Roberts Automotive Cal Club R
T 2 93 Aaron Goldsmith 1998 BMW 3 Series Org Hoosier 49.004 46.504 48.116(1) 46.504
[193] Huntington Beach,CA Elite Tint, Chasecam Cal Club R (0.357)
3 144 Britain Smith 1974 Porsche 914/6 Ylw Hoosier 54.421(2) 49.027 47.990 47.990
[44] Hillsboro,OR SDautosports.com Oregon Reg (1.486)
4 107 Grant Keyser 1999 Porsche Boxster Bl M&H 49.712 48.355 48.667 48.355
[7] Santa Cruz,CA Team Pirate Racing San Franci (0.365)
5 193 Beverlee Larsson 1998 BMW 328is Org Hoosier 50.249 48.982 55.265(3) 48.982
[93] Anaheim Hills,CA Elitetint.com Cal Club R (0.627)
6 44 Mark DeShon 1974 Porsche 914 Yellow Hoosier 62.954(1) 56.043(3) 52.083(2) 52.083
[144] SDAutosports.com (3.101)
DanT
that was Saturday's results

the two day results were

F Prepared Drivers: 6 Trophies: 2
T 1 93 Aaron Goldsmith 1998 BMW 3 Series Org Hoosier 49.004 46.504 48.116(1) 90.079
[193] Huntington Beach,CA Elite Tint, Chasecam Cal Club R 46.144 43.575 44.094(1)
T 2 7 Evan Fullerton 1999 Porsche Boxster Bl M&H 49.481(1) 46.866 46.147 90.786
[107] Costa Mesa,CA Brad Roberts Automotive Cal Club R DNF DNF 44.639 (0.707)
3 144 Britain Smith 1974 Porsche 914/6 Ylw Hoosier 54.421(2) 49.027 47.990 93.502
[44] Hillsboro,OR SDautosports.com Oregon Reg 52.887 45.924 45.512 (2.716)
4 193 Beverlee Larsson 1998 BMW 328is Org Hoosier 50.249 48.982 55.265(3) 93.579
[93] Anaheim Hills,CA Elitetint.com Cal Club R DNF 44.806 44.597 (0.077)
5 107 Grant Keyser 1999 Porsche Boxster Bl M&H 49.712 48.355 48.667 94.479
[7] Santa Cruz,CA Team Pirate Racing San Franci 48.825(1) 47.008 46.124 (0.900)
6 44 Mark DeShon 1974 Porsche 914 Yellow Hoosier 62.954(1) 56.043(3) 52.083(2) 101.651
[144] SDAutosports.com 49.568(2) 89.861(5) 52.182(4) (7.172)
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 12 2010, 04:00 AM) *

Not to steal Britain's Thunder, and I am sure he is still traveling or sleeping.
and isn't Evan one of our's too? driving Grants car...

Yes Evan is a former 914 owner just like us. He's a tail dragger guy now. beerchug.gif He and I agree that 914's are tough to develop into National level AX cars. 914's now are best left for vintage car events and local spit and shine contests. I still love 914's but truly its time to put them out to pasture as a viable SCCA Solo Prepared class car platform.

Boxster was all the rage at the Tour. Couple of national level drivers are actively looking for Boxsters after seeing this car.

I have always said I'm not the fastest AX driver but with Evans help we put the proverbial stake in the heart of 914 dominance of AX events with this car. Think we all just witnessed a little bit of grass roots motorsports history occurring this weekend. This is just the beginning of Boxster domination of Prepared class 914's.

The Boxsters are coming and they are hungry for 914's. chowtime.gif
J P Stein
I'm all most sure Brit will roll over & piss all over himself when he reads this announcement. Poor 914s.
sean_v8_914
I agree with all above. a boxter will be for next year. I still love 914s
sean_v8_914
I think a boxter may even be cheaper to build...what do ya'll think?
DanT
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 12 2010, 12:44 PM) *

I think a boxter may even be cheaper to build...what do ya'll think?

absolutely Sean smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 12 2010, 01:29 PM) *

I'm all most sure Brit will roll over & piss all over himself when he reads this announcement. Poor 914s.

No he's a smart guy. He'll figure out how to get a few more bugs out of it by next event. It did have some weaknesses on this course that were easily observed from spectating area.

Either that or he'll need to turn it into a street car again.

Picture of the future. shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
What's with the colors? confused24.gif
PeeGreen 914
okay, I'm just bitter lol-2.gif
DanT
no reason to be bitter....it is after all a Porsche and a direct descendant to the 914, just about 25 years of improvements.
and besides, PB is a real kick to drive...smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, Fordahl has one he is close to finished with with a GT3 cup engine in it. They are very close to the engine being done and now just need to do the lightening. As it is, a mostly stock Boxster is insane.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 12 2010, 09:26 PM) *

okay, I'm just bitter lol-2.gif

Take a ride with Evan ...oh bitter one! In a boxster with less power to weight and smaller motor than the Shitbox. It weighed over 100 lbs more and makes 30 HP less than Brits car. Yet it was a second to two faster each day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cdBiIzFCU...layer_embedded#
PeeGreen 914
I know Grant and I would love to have a ride in that car. Actually, I'd love to drive it. I have only had the opp to drive TTOD cars a few times so far piratenanner.gif

but you always have to flip a little shit every now and then laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
This all Bull Shit, Oh the boxster is the Mac Daddy Ax car. The 914 isn't worth the rusty metal it's made out of. That's a load of crap.

Fact is is Evan had not driven the Black car Grant would have a box full of excuses why he lost to Brit and the Yellow 914. Heavier, less power yada yada.

No offense to Britian as he is a very good driver and most likely better than me. But a real test would be to put Evan in both cars and run them all out. Then Britian in both cars and run all out.

Put Grant in either car and he will probably fall exactly where he did this weekend. cars are what they are but drivers make them fast.
Bqack in the day when I had a hired gun in my car we did very well with a 120 HP 2.0L and no chassis stiffening at all.
Chris Pincetich
I agree, the results indicate driver skill first, car second.
Build costs; the 914 starting price is $5-10k lower. I had $4k into mine when I started racing. Build costs would be a good debate, and cost of AX TIV vs Boxter motor build is a great place to start.

I had read elsewhere Brit had to replace the clutch, I wonder if it eventually did perform at 100% after the fix?

Doesn't really matter, right, because it was a BMW that won! dry.gif
DanT
you can purchase a complete running donnor Boxster for the cost of 911 motor for the 914, then add the initial cost of the 914 and go from there.

The Boxster will become the 914 of the future.....low costs to create a fairly competitive AX weapon.
I love 914s, and Boxsters. I believe the Boxster will prove to be equal and/or better after continued developement.
OK, Grant found a quick co-driver. Kind of like when JP owned the sbox, huh? smile.gif
sean_v8_914
when I was a kid we argued chevy-Ford. now its Boxter-914...bmw Porsche...
then I realized that the car is just a prop like on a movie set. it was never about the car. it has always been about the experiences that come with it.
Passion aside, the Boxter has supersior suspension geometry and 40 years of race learned advancements. it IS easier to drive at its limits. the 914s weight distribution greatly favors the laws of physics.
no sense getting agitated over something we did not create. we get to play with the results of others and make it what we want it to be for each of us. we make the experience what we want with the prop we choose.
the boxter is way easier to drive
grantsfo
Who would know this Boxster milestone event would stir such misguided passions?

I think if you had asked Evan which car he would have chosen to drive at the Tour suspect he would have said the Boxster. Boxster was clearly the better handling car at this venue. Boxster is easier to learn how to drive fast too. People who think Evan could have jumped in Brits car and beat him are first not giving Brit much credit as a good driver and secondly not recognizing fast 914 autocross cars are not a car you hop into and do well in at an event like this one.

Brits car didnt have proper tires for the conditions, its first gear and carb tuning hurt him off the line as his car bogged/stuttered and his cars corner speeds on off camber sections just couldnt match superior suspension of the Boxster. The Boxster owned Brits car off the start too. Our lower 1st gear and better suspension and sticky tires just rocketed us off the line.

You guys can poke at my driving all day long but the fact remains the Boxster was the better car of the two at this event. I suspect Brit could have gone faster in my car all things equal. I have learned a thing or two about AX and my car prep and tire setup beat him at this event.

I offered no excuses about my performance other than my driving sucked? LOL! I suspect we will hear many excuses why the 914 wasnt able to match the Boxsters times by nearly 2 seconds each day. I see no mention of the fact Brits co-driver also had tough time with the car. Again confirming the quirky at limit handling of the 914. Several very exciting offs both days

Remember this second event the Boxster has easily cleared all 914 competition including much lighter 914's with far more HP on race slicks. When are you guys slamming me going to catch a clue? 914 is not the car to be driving at SCCA national level anymore.

The guy that is likely going to be next FP national champion is actively looking for a Boxster now not a 914. I'm sure he is making a big mistake! LOL! He just lost an auction bid on a 2.7 car where he bid $3000 and car went for $3200!

Guess we will see what happens at the Shoot Out. Pretty sure my car will be owned by a couple 914's but those cars will be in E mod trim. I cant get the Boxster down to those weights

I think this is a good thing because we will see fewer 914's cut up into AX cars now! bootyshake.gif
PeeGreen 914
Sorry Joe, but the Boxster is the best Porsche for the FP class now. Driver aside, if you have a 914 fully set up for FP and a Boxster fully set up, the same driver should be faster in the Boxster. There is more you can do to them.

Now, if you go with what car you would rather drive I can see a much different story. I love the look, feel, smell, sound of the 914.
Joe Ricard
Drove a couple B-stock Boxsters and a Boxster S. I agree they are fine cars. I gave the owner of one the cars a ride in his car at a school. He nearly crapped his pants at how fast the PB really was. I like the car and would love to have a newer S. But to cut up a $30K car for prepared parking lot racing? never. I

I also did not know these cars are going so cheap these days. Now I would certainly contemplate putting a sawz-all to one of those.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 13 2010, 10:44 AM) *

Drove a couple B-stock Boxsters and a Boxster S. I agree they are fine cars. I gave the owner of one the cars a ride in his car at a school. He nearly crapped his pants at how fast the PB really was. I like the car and would love to have a newer S. But to cut up a $30K car for prepared parking lot racing? never.

I also did not know these cars are going so cheap these days. Now I would certainly contemplate putting a sawz-all to one of those.

$30K car? Where have you been? confused24.gif Try $5000 to $8000 for an old 2.5 - they were down to $11K when I got mine a couple years ago. Thats close to where miatas were a few years back! And a CS Boxster is terribly handicapped in SCCA as they cant grab much negative camber. And remeber my car isnt limited to parking lot races. It is track legal as well.

I think you can build fairly reasonable FP or even XP car off the Boxster platform. FP 2.5 or 2.7 cars would be good displacement for weight rules and for XP a 2.5 with forced induction would rock! We were talking at the Tour. Subi STi motor cranked up to 400 HP would likely be the bomb! That XP Lotus is fast but its not unbeatable after seeing him run. The Boxsters times were not that far off that lotus and we had half the HP and weighed nearly 500 lbs more!

Funniest thing ever is that this Boxster has a completely stock motor and street coilovers with PROGRESSIVE springs and it was running with and beating the big boys and girls. I wouldn't expect this crowd to recognize that accomplishment but many of the national class drivers at the event were letting me know I was on the right track with the car and they are very interested in the platform. I tend to put a little more stock in their feedback than you Joe. LOL!

Dont get me wrong if you had wads of money you could build a very fast 914 but you would be doing a ground up job, putting double a arm suspension in etc.

Just wait to see what the car does later this year once I start developing it into a national class level car. It will gain some major time over where its at now. it will lose 300 lbs, gain 40 HP and get a real race suspension. At that point I dont see any FP cars that will be close

Here is vid of me during Saturday leaving way too much on the table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWGnwoHOpio...layer_embedded#
Joe Ricard
05 Boxster S with 15K miles. Perfect in every way. My friend just bought one 30K. At least he let me drive it on course WOOT!!!
Nice car but the PSM is a bit intrusive.
DanT
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 13 2010, 11:11 AM) *

05 Boxster S with 15K miles. Perfect in every way. My friend just bought one 30K. At least he let me drive it on course WOOT!!!
Nice car but the PSM is a bit intrusive.

turn it off before hand... smile.gif

in this area you can find 2000-2002 BoxsterS for $13-17K
2.5L Boxsters for $5-9K
found a low mileage 2.7 the other day that was vandalized but a runner for 4
$4.5K
great car to start a project on. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
No Grant, imagine your car with a 3.8l GT3 Cup car engine in it piratenanner.gif

I can't wait to see that thing run. The test runs were impressive enough.
DanT
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 13 2010, 11:40 AM) *

No Grant, imagine your car with a 3.8l GT3 Cup car engine in it piratenanner.gif

I can't wait to see that thing run. The test runs were impressive enough.

we already have a 912 with one of those in it... biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
The Hamilton 914 that runs PCA in NorCal is still my AX benchmark. They have fun with it, don't develop to near full potential, and I would love to see it go up against SCCA big dogs in FP or XP. I have only seen it beaten by a GT3 and another 914....that I can remember. When the Boxter beats it, I will be impressed.

Grant, I think a AX win at Porsche Parade in Chicago this July would accomplish your goal of reaching a large audience with this platform. That would be cool beerchug.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 13 2010, 12:52 PM) *

The Hamilton 914 that runs PCA in NorCal is still my AX benchmark. They have fun with it, don't develop to near full potential, and I would love to see it go up against SCCA big dogs in FP or XP. I have only seen it beaten by a GT3 and another 914....that I can remember. When the Boxter beats it, I will be impressed.

Grant, I think a AX win at Porsche Parade in Chicago this July would accomplish your goal of reaching a large audience with this platform. That would be cool beerchug.gif

Yes and Hamilton car is an E Mod class car in SCCA. It would be slaughtered by SCCA E mod cars at a National level even with Andrew at the wheel. I have seen it beat by several street cars over the years however. Petes old 911 and a couple other tail draggers.

Suspect it would have a tough time weighted up to FP or even XP specs.

Honestly after seeing level of competition in FP and XP at national level event it wouldnt really stand a chance even in e mod form against those cars and drivers.

I'm not trying to reach Porsche club members. I'm trying to get SCCA guys intersted in the platform. Want to see true grassroots movement around Boxster platform.

The car had tons of attention there. With two well know drivers saying they want to build similar cars.
grantsfo
914 content

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELfJyyk9dk

And the FP BMW that owned us all. Toby is an outstanding driver and he knows how to develop a good AX car. I really hope he takes on a Boxster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJuTmTK9g_g
brilliantrot
First off I want to say that I am by no means that good of a driver, just watch the videos and you will see I am making small mistakes everywhere. At local events here we have a couple true PRO drivers and what they can do with a car is incredible. With that said Grant has built by far the best car I have ever had the privilege of driving. I am willing to put money on it beating ever other Porsche based AX car I have ever run against. It sticks beyond belief and isn't remotely twitchy anywhere, ever. The amount of potential it has in also humbling as it isn't even fully sorted yet let alone built to the limit of the rules. To give you an idea how prepped the BMW we were running against is, they had 3 complete diffs, with slightly different final drive ratios, all fitted with new $1800 OS Giken LSDs as they had just converted over from ZF ones as they felt the OS provided an advantage. I was blown away when I heard that as that is truly PRO levels of car preparation.

Grant knows his stuff on what parts to put on a car and make them work. The fact that I could jump into the car and do as well as I did is much more about the car and Grant's abilities to tweak it than my driving skill.
grantsfo
Thanks Evan! You're a class act. Also did you know you trophied? smilie_pokal.gif It was a true pleasure sharing the car with somone that has so much raw driving talent. You have my commitment to do what I can to get the car down to min weight by Nationals. I will try to get motor and suspension upgrades by then too. Just tough to do so much by September. Book your calendar and keep an eye out for trailer heading back to nationals. Didn't Brad say he was thinking of driving back?

... and yes it was eye opening to hear everything Toby has done with that BMW. He is a true pro. He built his own suspension, valved his own shocks!, has 3 rear diffs with gears, the car has steering ratio quickener, and car only weighs just over 2000lbs. And he can drive like a mad man! He is so fast that he ran in XP and placed 2nd just off the time of the 400 HP Lotus. I really like him. He is a very nice guy and a true AX enthusiast. He is very open about his development (unlike some I know). He thought my choice of Avons was great move and gave me a contact at Avon in the US.

This whole nationals thing has me stoked! I just joined a healthclub to start working out more and I started a low fat vegetarian diet 2 weeks ago. I'm going to regain my fitness and lose some weight. No sense in getting weight out of the car when I can lose some body weight! Figure if I'm going to drive at national event I need to be fit and focused.

brilliantrot
I did know I trophied, I even hung around to pick it up biggrin.gif Tom Berry was doing the announcing and he was on top of his stuff enough to announce we were on AVONs. That tells me that AVON may be the tire all the fast guys have at Nationals or at least bought a set for testing.

I had a great time driving with Grant and couldn't ask for a better car owner or guy. How many people do you know when asked if you can do a 4000RPM drop clutch launch say. Go for it and tell me how it works out lol-2.gif

I second the sentiment about Toby and feel the same about Aaron, and really everyone else I met at the event. SCCA people are good people.

I am really stoked about Nationals. Let me know if there is anything I can do to facilitate car development. I will be doing everything I can to improve my driving between now and then as Grant knows what my pipe dream goal is.

Looking at the video is really enlightening, it is readily apparent that I was giving up large amounts of time in several sections. I have never managed to get in car video before but I will try to get more from here on out as I think it could be the first step to pushing my driving to the next level.
yeahmag
Congrats guys! That's really awesome!
sean_v8_914
does anyone have some good pics? I forgot to take some
Mr G Force
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 14 2010, 11:34 AM) *

does anyone have some good pics? I forgot to take some

Good free ones here: http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/sd10sat&page=all

Better not free here: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2010-auto...san-diego-nati/

brilliantrot
It is pics like this that make be go what on earth will PB be like once the suspension is developed. All I can say is I am excited to see/feel what Grant does with it. Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 13 2010, 07:41 PM) *

I just joined a healthclub to start working out more and I started a low fat vegetarian diet 2 weeks ago. I'm going to regain my fitness and lose some weight. No sense in getting weight out of the car when I can lose some body weight! Figure if I'm going to drive at national event I need to be fit and focused.

You know Grant, it never stops amazing me how many don't get this. They would rather spend $20 on up to change gears or whatever to lose weight when they are 60 to 80 lbs over themselves. confused24.gif

Good luck to you. I need to drop about 15 myself but I have until next year to get there. Maybe I can get there now and maintain.

Are you going to Nationals next year? I am planning on being at the big event with something I hope can take 1st next year... who knows. driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Apr 14 2010, 02:21 PM) *

It is pics like this that make be go what on earth will PB be like once the suspension is developed. All I can say is I am excited to see/feel what Grant does with it. Click to view attachment

The bar looks WAY over his head. Does it really need to be that high? Actually have to say I like the look from the back. beerchug.gif
brilliantrot
That is me driving (Grant has a sweet Orange helmet). I am only 5'9" and am sitting on a folded up jacket where as Grant is about 6'4" and thus needs the bar that high.
DanT
to meet the "broom stick" rule for track events, the bar needed to be that high. biggrin.gif
It is actually a very nice cage and does not intrude on your driving at all. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
I would imagine is it very functional. It just looks odd being that high. I know it is needed if Grant is that tall but still. Guess I'm lucky to be 5'10" biggrin.gif

If any of you guys are up here before I sell my car you are welcome to codrive with me. I like to be pushed and it looks like you guys are good at that aktion035.gif

Then again, I may only have my car for one or two more events blink.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Apr 14 2010, 02:21 PM) *

Yes the car needs a bit more spring rate out back to keep that front end in check. Street springs really arent up to the job of controlling dynamics caused by huge grip race slicks bring.
sean_v8_914
those Avons felt oh so..ahhh, Avons.
Mr G Force
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 15 2010, 08:28 AM) *

those Avons felt oh so..ahhh, Avons.

You and about 20 other people couldnt stop touching those tires! shades.gif
Joe Ricard
What Avon were you running? Slicks? soft compound?

Hmm Wonder who it was that turned Grant on to those........

Oh, I know ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My next set of slicks was going to be 240/600 front and 275/540 rear. But I sold the car and have been kicking myself ever since.

Think I need to go rip up the street in my kart tonight to make my self feel better. beer.gif
Mr G Force

I worked with Roger K Racing and Avon on this setup exclusively. I ran a set of Avon DOT R tires several years ago and have been aware of Avon for decades.

We looked across all tire manufacturers and settled on A15 compound 23.5x11x16 Crossply race slicks for my application.

I also consulted with a couple Porsche hillclimb specialists in Europe who reccomended this tyre and compound as well.
Mr G Force
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 12 2010, 09:45 PM) *

Yeah, Fordahl has one he is close to finished with with a GT3 cup engine in it. They are very close to the engine being done and now just need to do the lightening. As it is, a mostly stock Boxster is insane.

While I'm sure it will be crazy fast I dont think big power is suited for the car. Boxsters have always been about balance. I dont know that you buy a lot with huge power. I'm sure with the money they have invested in the car however that it will be a winner!

I would rather have solid 300 HP in a 2000 lb Boxster than 450 HP in a 2500 lb Boxster.

Keeping the car lightweight and moderately powered means less chance of mechanical failures as well.
Britain Smith
Actually, I believe the Fordal Boxster has the X51 engine, not the Cup Motor.

-Britain
PeeGreen 914
I duno. He said it is from a cup car so confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.