Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: one long weekend (long story)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jshaddvw
OK where do I start. I am in the Air Force and am getting deployed to Iraq in May. So I decided I needed to store my 914 somewhere safe while I was gone. I live in SC and the only good place I know it will be safe is my parents house in OH. This last Friday with my wife and son following behind me in her car I left SC to start my 500 mile journey to OH. Everything was perfect for about 350 miles of the trip until I stopped in WV to gas up. After I paid for the gas I tried to start my car and it wouldn't do anything. So I tried jumper cables and still nothing. A nice guy at the station said he would give me a shove to help bump start it so I agreed, but when I went to push the clutch pedal in my clutch cable snapped. Now I am really irritated at the whole situation. So I called my Dad to see if he has any ideas on what to do. He said if you can get it rolling fast enough in gear it should start up then once you are moving just don't stop. Mind you I had around 150 miles to go at this time. So I recruited a couple of people to help out and we moved the car so it was on the top of a little hill. I put it in neutral first to get rolling. Then they all gave me a huge push down it. I jammed the car in second gear while moving. Eventually it fired up and I took off. I then got it up to speed on the highway and made it all the way to my parents driveway without stopping. Now the great thing is my parents just finished restoring there 914 not to long ago and still have a ton of parts left over from other parts cars. On Saturday my dad tells me if you want I have a great transmission and a brand new clutch and cable for that car. So we made a deal and finished the swap on Sunday. The car drives great now. The transmission he gave me shifts like brand new and the clutch couldn't be better. I do have one question to ask any person who might know. My car is a 76 and the car that the transmission came out of was a 74. Is there any difference as far as gear ratios ? Either way the 914 runs and drives great now thanks to my awesome parents.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jshaddvw @ Apr 12 2010, 10:38 AM) *

My car is a 76 and the car that the transmission came out of was a 74. Is there any difference as far as gear ratios ?

first, welcome.png

Second, No. All 914.4 had the same ratios.
SUNAB914
Good luck on your deployment, but you may not want to post when you are going. Just a suggestion..
Ian Stott
I am retired Air Force, keep safe on your deployment, and I agree on keeping personal data restricted. Good to hear your journey had a happy ending, nice knowing you are coming home to a teener ready for a drive, less stress equals easier transition to being home to enjoy being with your family. Post here if you can while away, I think it helps keep you grounded.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
iamchappy
Was the problem the starter,...........What?????
messix
thank you for your service flag.gif
ConeDodger
Glad you got it started and finished your trip but it probably would have started if you had just waited a half hour. They seem to be a bit bitchy when hot. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png & flag.gif Thanx for your service!

Sounds like she's ready for a new/rebuilt starter when you get back. Odd quink-dink - I just looked for another Teener stranded this weekend, & PP has the rebuilt Bosch units for $120 + core, if you're inclined to do it now.

Another trick to get 914's, VWs & Porsches of that era to start when the starter has a "flat spot" or gets heat jammed, is to crawl under it & tap (not bash/bang) the starter with a ball peen hammer or something, while someone else turns the key to start. That or the hill trick - BTW use 3rd gear not 2nd - or wait to cool down usually works. However, it will continue to dog you at the least opportune Murphy's Law times once this starts happening, until changed. These VW/Porsche Bosch starters usually go for about 7+/- years or 50-100k miles - depending upon use & other factors.

Stay safe over there! beerchug.gif
jshaddvw
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 12 2010, 03:36 PM) *

Was the problem the starter,...........What?????

I am sorry I did forget to mention that I did let the starter cool for a while. I would say about a good half hour or more. I even took a bottle of water to it to see if it would help the cooling process. For now the starter works fine but it will need replaced soon. my dad didnt have any good starters laying around so we didnt change it. Thanks for all the support guys i really appreciate it. I am bringing my laptop with me over there and will definetly be on here when i have some down time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.