Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
took out my old shot 914 seats, and am installing some 911/993 seats tight fit but will work well.
I need some advice regarding the wiring, if anyone out there has attemted similar?
with the pig-tails hooked up under the seat the other ends have 3 wires(i assume these would have gone to the fuse/relay bank in a 993). These 3 wires are : red, black and brown. I was connect the red(Positive?) to a new fuse/breaker which in turn would go to the battery(+) , then the negative direct to the battery(-)(black?), but is the brown/tan a ground or ???
can't find a wiring schematic or discussion showing what is what on that model, any help would be appreciated! confused24.gif
SUNAB914
Post Pics!
McMark
Are the wires for the seat adjustment motors? confused24.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 12 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Are the wires for the seat adjustment motors? confused24.gif

Yes, they are. no memory or heat,
Rand
Do you also have the switches/controls to go with the seats? If not you'll be doing some creative work to rig something custom up.
DRPHIL914
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 12 2010, 08:11 PM) *

Do you also have the switches/controls to go with the seats? If not you'll be doing some creative work to rig something custom up.

DRPHIL914
another picture of the pigtail
Rand
The question is, what kind of switches are you going to use to adjust the seats? Since the 914 never had power seats, the harness has no provision to support them. You can pull a power source to it, you can wire a ground, but you need controls. Maybe just the right generic switches, maybe some from a car that has power seats.
burton73
My Carrera has the power adjusters in the seats so all you do is run the right fused power to it. You will get some of that help on the Pelican board and then come back here for more help on how to get the power to the plug when you know how much you need.

There are guys that are putting newer interior in older cars that did not have power seats and have asked. Like a 75 911 wanting a Carrera power seat. They will have the answer for you. You can get a harness from the junkyard like Easy for a few bucks.

Bob
jcd914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 13 2010, 12:31 PM) *

Here is the wiring for the 8 pin connector on the body harness that connector in your picture plugs into:
Pins 1, 3, 5, & 7 all connect to Term 31 (ground) with brown wire(s)
Pins 4, 6, & 8 all connect to Term 30 (Battery, hot at all times) with Red wire(s) 30amp circuit for each seat
Pin 2 connects to Term X (hot key on and engine running, off while cranking) with Violet wire. 25amp circuit for both seats

All 8 of these wires supply power and ground to all the different power seats.
The wiring of each seat varies depending on how many adjustments it has and whether it is heated or not, etc, etc....
All the diagrams I looked at only showed Red and Brown wires on the seats themselves, no black wires. All the red wires go to Term 30 or Term X, brown are Term 31.

This is from the factory diagram for a 97 993 but all the others I looked at appeared the same.

I would suspect you black wire needs to go to power but I would figure out which pin of the body harness connector it would have connected to and verify before melting something.

Jim

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 13 2010, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 13 2010, 12:31 PM) *

Here is the wiring for the 8 pin connector on the body harness that connector in your picture plugs into:
Pins 1, 3, 5, & 7 all connect to Term 31 (ground) with brown wire(s)
Pins 4, 6, & 8 all connect to Term 30 (Battery, hot at all times) with Red wire(s) 30amp circuit for each seat
Pin 2 connects to Term X (hot key on and engine running, off while cranking) with Violet wire. 25amp circuit for both seats

All 8 of these wires supply power and ground to all the different power seats.
The wiring of each seat varies depending on how many adjustments it has and whether it is heated or not, etc, etc....
All the diagrams I looked at only showed Red and Brown wires on the seats themselves, no black wires. All the red wires go to Term 30 or Term X, brown are Term 31.

This is from the factory diagram for a 97 993 but all the others I looked at appeared the same.

I would suspect you black wire needs to go to power but I would figure out which pin of the body harness connector it would have connected to and verify before melting something.

Jim

Thanks for the info.. As you said the controls are on the seat. I just came in from testing , plugged the pig tail in, it just has the red black brown on other end . Tested it with the battery charger - put red n red, brown to neg./ground. all motors worked.! i'm guessing the black had to do with the relay with the ignition. I will wire direct to battery thru a breaker, but I can set up with a switch to keep it from being hot even when the car is off
Rand
Ok I've been in the 914 mindset with the controls Q. Sigh.
Built-in seat controls. Not used to that outside the daily luxury driver. Electric... Mirrors. moonroof, windows, doorlocks, trunk popping, alarms.... ?
Disregard my previous comments. Not my idea of what fits the car, but by all means, I look forward to hearing how this works out. Sweet seating for sure.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 13 2010, 11:50 PM) *

Ok I've been in the 914 mindset with the controls Q. Sigh.
Built-in seat controls. Not used to that outside the daily luxury driver. Electric... Mirrors. moonroof, windows, doorlocks, trunk popping, alarms.... ?
Disregard my previous comments. Not my idea of what fits the car, but by all means, I look forward to hearing how this works out. Sweet seating for sure.

Rand:

well, I looked at the cost of having the originals redone- it would have cost 2-3x more, i would have had seats that for me-6'2" too short- not safe, and they are shot- These are still out of a porsche- a 911(1998), many have put upgraded 911 parts in these, I will bet very few are original everything. I will keep the originals-maybe someday...but for now i found these for a great price, better safety and comfort. they look good- i will post pic soon.
I know what you mean, though, makes my stomach turn when guys tear appart a 914 to part out for the money when it could be saved!!!
Thanks for the input,

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 13 2010, 06:39 PM) *

My Carrera has the power adjusters in the seats so all you do is run the right fused power to it. You will get some of that help on the Pelican board and then come back here for more help on how to get the power to the plug when you know how much you need.

There are guys that are putting newer interior in older cars that did not have power seats and have asked. Like a 75 911 wanting a Carrera power seat. They will have the answer for you. You can get a harness from the junkyard like Easy for a few bucks.

Bob

Bob-
I kind of have it figured out, with the pigtale in place i can hook up direct to the battery, but then it is always on- it will have a in-line circuit breaker but i am looking at trying to figure out how to run it thru an on/off switch or direct thru the ignition so that it would not be on hot when the ignition is off. so that would be the question at this point- how to best do that, but i can at least have them hooked up to work now if i want.(these are '98 911/993's)

Phil
Rand
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 14 2010, 05:59 AM) *
well, I looked at the cost of having the originals redone- it would have cost 2-3x more, i would have had seats that for me-6'2" too short- not safe, and they are shot...

beerchug.gif More power to you. My mouth was running too much last night. Good beer though. biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
Phil, post pics of your whole car and interior. I'm sure everyone would like to see what you have done.
Brando
As someone who has put 911 seats in a 914 before, you're going to have clearance issues with the steering wheel.

Just an FYI. They were waaaay comfortable though smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 14 2010, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 14 2010, 05:59 AM) *
well, I looked at the cost of having the originals redone- it would have cost 2-3x more, i would have had seats that for me-6'2" too short- not safe, and they are shot...

beerchug.gif More power to you. My mouth was running too much last night. Good beer though. biggrin.gif

beer3.gif hey, I know where you are coming from, i struggled over the decision but in the end i like the support of these seats. Funny thing though, i just spoke with a local auto trim guy who has done some amazing things for some guys here locally in the car club, he said that Recaro makes a replacement seat for 914's!!- bolts right on to original mounts. might be something to look at in future(recaro made all of the 911/993 seats in the 1990's not sure if they still do).
Will be posting some pics soon( having trouble with the download)

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 14 2010, 02:22 PM) *

As someone who has put 911 seats in a 914 before, you're going to have clearance issues with the steering wheel.

Just an FYI. They were waaaay comfortable though smile.gif

I kind of figured that out after ordering them lol-2.gif but after seeing a few others that have had the transverse support under front of the seat lowered, I have chosen to do that- no loss of strength structurally but lowers front of the seat 1.5". which helps. I am also having back pad redone to mold to the new seats- pretty cool. that way the seats can go all of the way back. the actually sit very low-
When did you do your seats??

PJW
charliew
Just add a relay that picks when the key is on that will provide a hot source for the seats. I'm sure you can find the ign wire in the tunnel.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 14 2010, 02:30 PM) *

Just add a relay that picks when the key is on that will provide a hot source for the seats. I'm sure you can find the ign wire in the tunnel.

- good Idea,

I just went out a lunch and picked one up - will put that in hopefully saturday (after finishing the rust repair to driver's side floor pan)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.