Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Temperatures?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
Has anyone ever measured the exhaust pipe temperatures at the point where they bolt to the heads? I used my Ray-tek gun and got temps from 600 to 700 degrees. Not sure if that is a meaningful place to measure. idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I used to own tug boats with 12 cylinder Locomotive engine - 2000 hp, and it was not unusual to see 900 to 1000 at the exhaust flanges, but I'm not sure there is any correlation between the two types of engines and applications. confused24.gif
McMark
Pipe temp is not relevant.
ME733
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 12 2010, 07:51 PM) *

Pipe temp is not relevant.

.......................correct......I agree.
Russ
I have EGT sensors on the headers and the exhaust temp runs about 1400F. But it really depends on how hard you running the engine.

R
McMark
Russ is right, but to be clear that's EGT not pipe temp. wink.gif
LotusJoe
Thanks Guys, I didn't feel like it was the appropriate place to measure temp. but thought I would ask anyway. I also checked the temp at the head temperature sensor (between #3 and #4) and it is only about 180 to 190 degrees. Does that seem about normal?
McMark
Unfortunately, that temp gun is not really precise enough to measure your engine running temps. The points you're scanning for CHT are on the outer edge of the cooling fins. The temp you're interested in is the temp at the combustion chamber. The fins are made for cooling, so if you're seeing 300+ degrees on the outer edges, then you combustion chamber is literally melting.

You're heading in the right direction, but you need the right tools. The Micro100 EGT and CHT gauges are available from Aircraft Spruce and for about $300 you can have both readings available all the time your driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.