Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I remove the 2 bolts on the forward control arm?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
I am about to install a David Lee flat tow bracket on my car. It is to be towed behind my motorhome on occasion.

The car is on the ground, wheels on. I pulled the allen head bolt that holds the front cap off and began to loosen the two bolts that hold the bushing carrier to the body. Then I thought I better do some research, having never removed a front torsion bar or control arm. Any reason not to simply remove the bolts and attach the bracket with the new longer bolts?
balljoint
No worries. It isn't going anywhere. Just did this myself.

jcd914
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Apr 12 2010, 04:23 PM) *

Any reason not to simply remove the bolts and attach the bracket with the new longer bolts?

Not really.
The arms may want to push off to one side or the other from the load on them but they don't try to go far or with much force. You might have to use a bar to lever them back to center to get the bolts in and started. I usually jack the car up some to take some load off but I have done them with the car on the ground.

My tow bar I made myself and the attachment points are separate pieces so I only have one side loose at a time. My RV is old (77) and did NOT like towing the 914 up the hill into Laguna Seca for the ALMS races last year. Towed fine all the rest of the time.

Jim

Porsche Rescue
Thanks. I took them off and one side did drift a bit, easily realigned. Bracket holes will not line up properly however. Appears I will need to enlarge the bracket holes a bit. At least I hope that will allow it to bolt up.

Edit: Looks like my problem won't be solved with larger holes. Bracket cut-outs won't straddle both control arm carriers. I almost seems as though the bracket is about 3/8" too short.
jcd914
Pictures would help.

I have not experience with the bracket you are installing just some questions for you.

Does the bracket go on the bottom of the A-arm mounts or between the mounts and the body?

Is there a top and bottom to the bracket that might make a difference?

Do the holes need to move forward or backward or to the side?

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.