Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to find lapping compound?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I need some, but my local flaps has none. Where can I find some??
Elliot Cannon
Machine shop? Google? Yellow pages?
underthetire
OSH
ws91420
aka Valve Grinding Compound Auto Zone used to carry it NAPA maybe
URY914
a real auto parts place like NAPA should have it. NAPA sometimes will have a store connected to thier warehouse in larger cities. This store has it all.
Jake Raby
Make your own... mix some Ajax with a tad bit of water to gain the consistency you are looking for. It works better than anything that I have bought.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 12 2010, 06:20 PM) *

I need some, but my local flaps has none. Where can I find some??

There you go. Again. Expecting a FLAPS to actually carry something other than oil that a real car guy or tech could actually buy and use.
Mud flaps? They got 'em. Cheapass parts that don't really fit or last? They got 'em. Air fresheners? Chain steering wheels? Chinese light bulbs? Head gasket in a can? Fuel line magnets? They got 'em all .................

The Cap'n
DonTraver
Make some. Use oil/grease, mix in some of that old fashioned cleaning or scouring power. It'll work just fine.

I used that a few times when I was in the Navy and the closest FLAPS was weeks away. It worked on lapping valves, polishing bores, and when I lapped the side of piston rings I made for a 5th stage piston on a 5000psi compressor.

Good Luck, Don
Lennies914
Let me geuss, the pimped faced kid at the counter never even heard of it. At least that's what I keep running into. Try NAPA
LotusJoe
McFadden-Dale Hardware carries Clover Brand. I pick some up about a month ago. Stores are located throughout the LA/Orange County Area.

http://mcfaddendale.incomsupply.com/

VaccaRabite
All of the FLAPS around here carry a little tube of the Permatex brand lapping compound. NAPA/Autozone/Advance/broadway - they all have it.

Zach
Smitty911
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 12 2010, 07:08 PM) *

Let me geuss, the pimped faced kid at the counter never even heard of it. At least that's what I keep running into. Try NAPA

And that is why the "pimped faced kid" not the Pimpled Face Kid, kept asking for Year, Make and Model of the car its for. av-943.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.