Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wilchek
So my transmission has been having issues. So out it must come. All went awesome not a single stuck bolt or rust issue. A true miracle for a 914 piratenanner.gif . However, the previous owner decided to relocate the battery to a box in the trunk. The box is welded in to the upper right corner and for the most part is out of the way in the trunk. However, it extends into the transmission area. So I start to pull the tranny and yep the housing hit the battery box after pulling the trans I cleared everything except the two bottom studs. I decided to use another nut and jam one so I can remove the stud. Worked great and transmission came out without a problem
wilchek
delete
wilchek
Trunk

Click to view attachment
McMark
I sympathize with you. You're absolutely right. Porsche/VW spent a HUGE amount of money to make everything work together.

Are you taking the box out?
wilchek
Original Trans

Click to view attachment
wilchek
delete
TROJANMAN
It's amazing how well VW/Porsche got water to work with battery acid and get trapped in the hell hole. biggrin.gif

That battery box is actually pretty cool. Too bad you don't have the clearance you need.
I guess your best bet is to cut it out, seal the hole, and put in a new battery tray?

Nice Green. Any more pics of the car?
wilchek
It is actually a great spot it just needs to be a bit higher or a couple inches toward the back of the car and all would be perfect.
brant
moving weight rearward is not good for balance.
sure a 30lb battery may not be noticeable on the street
but why change anything to "hurt" handling?

TROJANMAN
We all can't be cool racers that drill holes in everything biggrin.gif
brant
m'kay... weight is bad... m'kay
TheCabinetmaker
Looks like you could lower the back of the engine enough to remove the trans.
Joe Ricard
Use a PC680 battery and make the box at least 3" shorter.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 13 2010, 05:23 AM) *

Use a PC680 battery and make the box at least 3" shorter.

agree.gif

That's the next battery for my 914 very soon. The PC925 is way overkill for a stock 4cyl engine.
Katmanken
Dang, that brings back memories.

There was a 914 parts company out of Jacksonville Florida in the 1980's that offered that battery relocation box.

A bud of mine bought one for his aubergine 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.