Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I'm looking for an additional set of track wheels/tires for the 914/6 2.7.

We are currently running:

Fuchs replica 16 x 7 - 225/50/16 A008RsII
Fuchs replica 16 x 8 - 245/45/16 A008RsII

What are my options?

original Fuchs seem to be $$$$
J P Stein
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Mar 31 2004, 10:43 AM)
original Fuchs seem to be $$$$

Swap meets are the best place to find "good" prices on wheels. No easy answers here, I'm afraid.

Repro Fuch scare me. BBS cast wheels are TUV approved, at least.
seanery
agree.gif The cast fakes aren't my cup of tea. If you shop around you should be able to get real ones reasonably, even if you buy one at a time.
SirAndy
1) for the 7" you can use cheap-o 911 cookie cutters (dunno if they come in 16" or 8" wide)

2) 944 ponedials. they do come in 16" and 7" and 8"

now, i know forged is supposedly better than cast for racing applications ...

what about 3-piece wheels?
Andy
machina
I have pictures in a book somewhere of how the cast fake fuchs fail.

Shear off where the paddles meet the rim lip, not pretty.

The strength of the forged aluminum is what makes the shape of these wheels possible, and you can't beat the beautiful lip on a fuchs. (5 spoke)

I have bought fuchs one and two at a time on e-bay for a good price. I don't care that much about aesthetics as long as they are straight.

dr
d914
I've got
16x 7,9 cup
16x 7, 9 7 spoke 928 good prices BUT

New offset would need spacers like I use to run.
andys
Eddie,

You mentioned "track wheels" in your title. Diamond makes 16" roadrace steel wheels in 5X130, any backspacing. http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/RoadRaceSeries.htm

Andy
drew365
I use two sets of the same size wheels as you for the track. I run real Fuchs, they're lighter and stronger. I researched every wheel I could get info on and the fuchs turned out to be the lightest. Found my best buys at the Pomona swap meet buying one or two at a time.
Andyrew
Cookie cutters are a good option. Cheap, and light.. 15/7's

Andrew
Bleyseng
I got a set of nice 15x7 cookies from Campbell Nelson in Marysville as they have tons of rims. They will quote high prices but just dicker them down as how many rims do they actually sell, not many sets. I paid $250 and got to pick them out.
For my Fuchs I got online to the Autowrecking parts Available site and found them and then ordered them from Stockton Auto Wrecking for pretty cheap like $75 a rim. Had them shipped up.
Or you could wait until the John Walker Swap meet in the summer or that swap meet thats in April sometime at the XXX in Issaquah for 911 stuff.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(d914 @ Mar 31 2004, 12:52 PM)
I've got
16x 7,9 cup
16x 7, 9 7 spoke 928

hey greg, any pics of those?

Andy
SirAndy
i paid $50 each for my cookies @ EASY in emeryville ...

Andy
Andyrew
Oh where talking price now eh?

100 for the set of cookies with good tires.

Beat that laugh.gif

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 31 2004, 07:04 PM)
100 for the set of cookies with good tires.

6" or 7" wink.gif
Bleyseng
IF ya bought 6" cookies, can I sell ya some wooden nickles?

Geoff
campbellcj
If you "need" the 9's in back then your options are pretty limited (Fuchs or aftermarket). Prices on 16x7 Fuchs are still not too bad (relatively speaking) but the 8's and 9's are getting up there. However, they're still cheaper, and probably better, than most of the bigger-name aftermarket wheels. Quality forged race wheels can run $500/ea on up, from what I've seen. idea.gif

If you could live with 15x7's I agree with the other guys that Cookie Cutters are the "sleeper" value of the moment. I have a set of those, and two sets of 16x7 Fuchs. A whole set of cookies is only worth 1 - 1.5 Fuchs, yet they work and look plenty fine in my experience.
Bleyseng
And most of them are 10 years newer.
jonwatts
This is a good time to ask, what does a cookie cutter weigh?

(too busy looking for other stuff to search for it at the moment)
campbellcj
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 31 2004, 08:06 PM)
And most of them are 10 years newer.

Very true...remember that the NEWEST Fuchs we can use are from 1989! And most of the ones on the market are probably from the late 70's and early 80's, the glory days of the 911SC.
Bleyseng
Jon, the gingerbread man shape or the heart shape?
jonwatts
blink.gif Uh, the Andy shape, oh yeah, I guess they're gingerbread men after all

IPB Image
J P Stein
According to my bathroom scales, in 15 X 7, Fuch are 11-12 and cookies are 12-13lbs.
The down side of 15s is the lack of big stickeybuns.
IIRC, 225 is as big as you can get....cept for slicks.
d914
Sir Andy a little late but here's a picture of the wheels. If you need detail let me know. The cup wheels have a few scratches, track wheels. The 7 spoke are in great shape.
blabla914
Hoosier still makes a 245-50-15 in the RS03. I don't know if they are planning that size for the 04

Kelly
SirAndy
QUOTE(d914 @ Apr 1 2004, 07:08 AM)
Sir Andy a little late but here's a picture of the wheels. If you need detail let me know. The cup wheels have a few scratches, track wheels. The 7 spoke are in great shape.

thanks for the pics!

i don't think that offset would work for me tho
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.