Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first test with go pro camera.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Not sure why it was shaking so bad but the audio is pretty awful on this camera anyways. Would be nice if it had an external mic hookup. Probably will on the next one. Comes with several different mounts so I have to figure out which one rattles and which one doesn't.

Also this thing needs alot of light to work. Overcast day so it could have looked better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvmfBepnUFY
jim_hoyland
Pretty clear picture, a microphone would be nice. When drivers narrate a little, the makes the vieos more interesting smile.gif
Frost
Is this the Hero Motorsport camera?
Bruce Hinds
I'm looking for an inexpensive camera that will take an external mic. Any suggestions?
turboman808
QUOTE(Frost @ Apr 13 2010, 07:01 AM) *

Is this the Hero Motorsport camera?

Yeah. I also got the bicycle mounts for it.

I don't know why it rattled around so much with the mount I used. I tried it again with the suction cup mount and it didn't rattle. The other mount used double sided sticky tape stuck to the car.

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Apr 13 2010, 07:16 AM) *

I'm looking for an inexpensive camera that will take an external mic. Any suggestions?

The best option is to do your audio and video to separate devices. The Zoom H4N is a really good device for doing audio. Has 4 channels and 2 good mics built into the device that you can use along with 2 external mics. I have used this with 2 lavs and the onboard and it's terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQDsptXHr0
ahdoman
There are 2 mic sensitivity settings on the GoPro. Try them both. I have found that using the suction cup mount on the inside of the rear window works real good. It provides a great view of the drive plus the driver. I have the wide angle version. I just saw a video with the new HD version and it was phenomenal. For the price this unit is hard to beat. Somewhere on YouTube I have posted a video from the Halloween drive we did in SoCal. The video was taken with the GoPro from the position mentioned.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Apr 13 2010, 08:21 AM) *

Somewhere on YouTube I have posted a video from the Halloween drive we did in SoCal. The video was taken with the GoPro from the position mentioned.

Link ?
campbellcj
I was not aware of the mic settings - will have to look that up. I was bummed about no external mic input.

However in addition they recommend using the case back with the openings for an enclosed car or other situations up to 100mph or so. The solid case back muffles the sound a lot more and is suggested for high speeds in the wind or obviously if there is water or snow around.

Also there are two light meter settings - matrix/average and spot. One or the other will work better to correctly expose the outside vs the inside of the car.

I'll shoot a lot of video (hopefully) at the track in a few weeks. I happened to already have an I/O Port camera mount attached to my rollcage, so it is super stable. I have not tried any of the stick-on or suction cup mounts that came with the GoPro, yet.
Van
Yeah, it struggles to get a good exposure sometimes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVUmKv58YkQ

PeeGreen 914
Wish I had the money to get a few of these... seems like a cool deal. A few AXers here have their cars plastered with them and say it is very easy to make good video with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.