Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My new website
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I have my website up finally. Jim from Wyoming set it up for me. Just wanted to have my own place to throw up what I am working on. I'll always have a few things for sale on there. Not to get away from the world or club. Just wanted to have a place to send people for my hobby. This is still a work in progress but I was excited to have it live piratenanner.gif

So what do you think???

http://www.914rustorations.com/
Tom
aktion035.gif
That's cool Jamie! Keep up the good work on the Creamsicle.
Tom
jim_hoyland
Looks good so far. Great idea ! beer.gif
ericread
The layout looks good.

But whenever I see text, or try to enter text in the "contact" section all I see are boxes. If I copy the boxes to this site, it comes out as text???

Any thoughts?

Eric
computers4kids
"acquired the skills to meticulously restore"...Looks great Jamie. drooley.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 14 2010, 06:37 AM) *

The layout looks good.

But whenever I see text, or try to enter text in the "contact" section all I see are boxes. If I copy the boxes to this site, it comes out as text???

Any thoughts?

Eric

I get the same thing...when I opened the "About" page, I get a "The" and a couple "914", everything else is a box?? confused24.gif
RJMII
Oh, that's the font... Thanks for letting me know. =o) Will fix it ASAP...

edit: ...and the font thing should be fixed. anything else?
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif Looks great Jamie aktion035.gif
ericread
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 14 2010, 08:09 AM) *

Oh, that's the font... Thanks for letting me know. =o) Will fix it ASAP...

edit: ...and the font thing should be fixed. anything else?

Thanks - It looks OK now.

A very nice looking site.

Now that I see your picture, are you and Dr. Evil twins? Errrr, are you and Dr. Evil identical twins, because I'm not asking if you're "evil twins" per se.....

Uhhhhh, never mind.

lol3.gif

VaccaRabite
RJMII, are you "Small Town Geeks"?

If it were my site, I'd prefer the site creation byline to be smaller/less intrusive (non-existent on most pages). That is, unless site creation fees have been donated with the understanding that Small Town Geeks be able to use the site to build a portfolio.

Zach

watsonrx13
Looks good Jamie, now put some content in there.... poke.gif

-- Rob
PeeGreen 914
You can list my car as one for sale smile.gif

I mean, if you wanted to beerchug.gif
bandjoey
Looks good. I'll bookmark it. Looks like you've got some great projects working. driving.gif
Brando
Looks good... But I would avoid doing a whole website in flash.

Unless you're newgrounds...
JRust
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 14 2010, 09:29 AM) *

RJMII, are you "Small Town Geeks"?

If it were my site, I'd prefer the site creation byline to be smaller/less intrusive (non-existent on most pages). That is, unless site creation fees have been donated with the understanding that Small Town Geeks be able to use the site to build a portfolio.

Zach

Yes RMJII is small town geeks. He is setting this up on the cheap for me. Paid some, traded parts & got him to Route 66. He get's to pimp himself out a bit too on my site.

I wanted something pretty basic & I am no computer guru. So after chatting with Jim we went for this. Figured it would be good for both of us. I am certainly open to suggestions on it. Just be nice mad.gif lol-2.gif
DNHunt
Looks pretty coll Jamie. Doing it it purple and gold would make it absolutely incredible.

Dave
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Apr 14 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Looks pretty coll Jamie. Doing it it purple and gold would make it absolutely incredible.

Dave

agree.gif piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif
mtburman
front page has "About" then "Home", followed by "About" again,

but otherwise helpful,
Dr Evil
We are not twins. I am much better looking dry.gif

I would remove your pic, and where do you get off saying you are a valuable resource here?! tongue.gif poke.gif

Looks good thumb3d.gif
JRust
Somebody try the contact me thing so I can see if it's working biggrin.gif

I'll have more parts & things going on this weekend. Jon I have no problem if you want to put your car on there for sale too. Although it may need to be in my garage officially for that to work. Maybe with me driving it around for a few weeks. Just so I can properly endorse it happy11.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 14 2010, 11:39 AM) *

We are not twins. I am much better looking dry.gif

I would remove your pic, and where do you get off saying you are a valuable resource here?! tongue.gif poke.gif

LOL! Definately not twins. If we were Evil unfortunatly got he brains. The looks he's a little off on. Being a doctor has messed with his head. Since he will be making so much money he naturally thinks he's better looking now blink.gif

On the valuable rescource thing. That was written for me by someone else. While I get more info here than I give. I am sure I've given at least one good piece of advice confused24.gif . Although I am sure after I did someone else gave it much better lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
Nice page boys! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 14 2010, 07:22 AM) *

So what do you think???

Couple of things:

- The HTML is not W3C compliant. Validation fails ...

http://www.w3c.org/

CODE

line 1 column 1 - Warning: missing <!DOCTYPE> declaration
line 169 column 19 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 178 column 20 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 324 column 127 - Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C
Info: Document content looks like HTML Proprietary

- Parts for sale, but no info and no price, just a picture of the part. confused24.gif

- Project pictures but no project description.

- No preview of images. To see a album, i have to scroll through each image individually without knowing how many there are.
A scrollable array of preview images would be much nicer. That way, you can only click on the ones you want to look at and you can quickly skip through an album.

- Contact. Email should start with an uppercase E to go with the rest of the text.

- Flash plugin required to view the site. This is not a huge problem, but i don't really see anything on the site that would warrant using flash.
All of those pages could have been build in DHMTL ...

shades.gif Andy
Tom_T

Just wanted to have my own place to throw up what I am working on.

So Jaimie- was that to throw up or barf.gif !!?? lol-2.gif

Coool! popcorn[1].gif
RJMII
I'm still working on the code for the 3d transitions and image previews for the albums. stuff that I can't do in DHTML.

The prices/descriptions are going to be added soon. still working on the code for that as well.

I think Jamie mentioned that this is a work in progress, so thank you to all that provided input. =o)

very much appreciated.
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2010, 12:53 PM) *

So what do you think???

Couple of things:

http://www.w3.org/

CODE

line 1 column 1 - Warning: missing <!DOCTYPE> declaration
line 169 column 19 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 178 column 20 - Warning: '<' + '/' + letter not allowed here
line 324 column 127 - Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C
Info: Document content looks like HTML Proprietary

- Parts for sale, but no info and no price, just a picture of the part. confused24.gif

- Project pictures but no project description.

- No preview of images. To see a album, i have to scroll through each image individually without knowing how many there are.
A scrollable array of preview images would be much nicer. That way, you can only click on the ones you want to look at and you can quickly skip through an album.

- Contact. Email should start with an uppercase E to go with the rest of the text.

- Flash plugin required to view the site. This is not a huge problem, but i don't really see anything on the site that would warrant using flash.
All of those pages could have been build in DHMTL ...

shades.gif Andy

I did mention I know jack about this stuff huh.gif . Wow thanks for being so specific. I'm sure this makes more sense to Jim than me. There is definately more to come. I've been bugging Jim for a while so he put it up for me. We have quite a bit to add.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I want this to be nice & be proud to send people there smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2010, 12:53 PM) *

http://www.w3c.org/

Baaah, fixed the link ... rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 14 2010, 01:03 PM) *

stuff that I can't do in DHTML

Yes, we you can! biggrin.gif

Like i said, no biggie on the flash, just seems a bit overkill for 5 static pages.

And yes, the image preview, scroll and zoom is most certainly doable in DHTML ...
type.gif Andy
Lavanaut
Cool, another 914 to check out! aktion035.gif Congrats.

I like the logo, metalic effect is cool. Also like the simple, straightforward, easy navigation and labels.

Stop here if you're not interested in constructive criticism. laugh.gif

Andy already pointed out that HTML validation fails - start with a doctype declaration and go from there!

It sounds like your site's going to work great for what you need right now. Maybe for future consideration, here are a few drawbacks to all-Flash sites, for what it's worth:

1. people habitually click their browser's back button to navigate back. With a site like yours however, they will be taken completely out of your site when doing so, no matter where they've navigated to in it. "Browser history management".
2. as your business (and your site) grows, people being able to find you on the web becomes more and more important. search engines won't be able to glean content from your site, or be able to index anything much other than the home page. File under "SEO".
3. somebody wanting to email something on your site to someone else, or wanting to bookmark something on your site, can't. Only the home page. This concept is called "deep linking".
4. obviously, flash player required. maybe not a big deal, but does make your site inaccessible to a large percentage of mobile devices (at least for now).

There are workarounds for some of this stuff, but they're not trivial to implement.

...again, it sounds like these aren't concerns right now, but thought I'd put it out there since, well, it's what I do. :]

Again, congrats on carving out your corner of the 'Net!!

Reid
charliew
I think it's good so far. It sounds like maybe it's a good start and a learning experience for a lot of us. Maybe it's like building a hot rod, it takes awhile to decide if you want ac and cruise and overdrive and maybe a backup camera and beeper.
mstein95
Nice Job Jamie!!!!!!
clap56.gif
RJMII
Reid, Andy, thank you both very much for the constructive criticism (more so constructive tips than criticism IMHO); they are certainly appreciated.

Andy, no I can't do it in DHTML. lol not yet, anyways. I'll keep at it, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.