Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original 71 914/4 made SoCal debut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
CORRECTION - it is a 71 914/4 1.7L One Owner since new with 60741 turning over as of Sat. am 4/17/10.
It's a CA 914 which has moved with him to VA & back to OC - some teaser pix below
.... drooley.gif wub.gif

Where was everybody!!?? confused24.gif Not one SoCal Teener showed up!
But the taildragger & wasser-middies there LOVED it!!!!
biggrin.gif

Okay SoCal CWs & other 914 folks, my buddy confirmed that he'll be bringing his one owner 1970 914/4 1.7L to the PCA OCR Doughnutz & Porsches at the Krispy Kreme at "The Block" mall in Orange CA (OC) this coming Sat. 4/17 at 8:30+/- am to whenever. It's open to all comers & even the public!!!! lol-2.gif

This is the pristine 70 914 which I'd mentioned earlier as a prime candidate for the O&H nailed topic: "The few, the rare..." - with 62,0000+/- miles & always garaged & kept dealer showroom cond. for as long as I'd known him, up to when he moved away in the early 90's (I haven't seen it since then - but doubt that he's been any less perfectionist since then). drooley.gif wub.gif

According to him it's mildly modified with dealer options from first purchase by him - wood dash face, turned aluminum foot-rests, & an audio upgrade (his sons added disc changer in glove box, new speakers in the stock housings), and a recent engine/valves overhaul in OC (same case # & tranny #).

Look for an OE Red/Black 914 (don't recall what wheels), & a tall guy named Jerry - but he'll answer to "Mr. Perfect"! laugh.gif ..... he's going give me crap for letting that one out of the bag! lol-2.gif

- so come out & encourage him to get his pix on here & to CdE show this sucker!!!! biggrin.gif

Let's also get an overwhelming 914 turn out too, so we can show all those tail-draggers & water-pumpers (the true NARPs IMHO!!!! dry.gif ) what's what!!!!!!! av-943.gif

Directions:
Take your favorite freeway to either the I-405, I-5, SR-57 or SR-55 & SR-22 (Garden Grove/Orange Freeway) interchange - to the City Center/State College Blvd. North exit, go north & look for Krispy Kreme & The Block entrance off of City Center Dr., turn left & go to the parking lot area between the main mall entrance & Krispy Kreme with all the Porsches parked - you know the drill!

I'll be in a red 914 hoody from Johannes - as close as I can get to a 914 until mine is done! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Pat Garvey
Tom,

You WILL provide those of us on th "other coast" with pics won't you?

I knew we could depend on you bud.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 15 2010, 06:53 PM) *

Tom,

You WILL provide those of us on th "other coast" with pics won't you?

I knew we could depend on you bud.
Pat

Pat,

I'll let Jerry do that so I don't over step any personal boundaries, but he may be okay with my doing one or two.

I'm also trying to encourage him to join up here & PCA to show it CdE, & do a post like Steve's in "The few, the rare...." I may put you tow in touch & you can encourage him too.

Knowing Jer, he'll want to spend a load of time making it look more perfect before he allows any more detailed pix to creep out. biggrin.gif
... he has the perfect temperament & attitude for CdE!

BTW - Jerry was actually living a 100 or so miles from you in the VA suburbs of DC from the mid-90's to late 2000's - but was never active in PCA nor 914 crowd back there as far as I know.

Also sent you a PM on the other deal.

Tom
///////
Tom_T
For Pat - here's some eye candy buddy - Fritz's older brother here! biggrin.gif
Sorry Paul, my brain fart - it's actually a 71. sad.gif

Everything is pretty much as he bought it new, now only 60741 mi as of 4/17/10 8:30 am!

Little low down - Western Alloy Wheels (10 year old Winston 165SR15s on there now), wood faced dash, hood emblem, center cushion & tray, aftermarket turned aluminum threshold plates & radio were all on the 914 at the dealer when Jerry bought it - came with the Appearance Group (forgot to check for sway bars/Performance Group) - $5000 +/- It had actually been "sold" to another party who backed out, before Jerry bought it, which explains the optional items).

Of note, he said that he never had the black plastic door jamb vent inserts in his, & didn't even know what they were until I showed him in the AA catalog I gave him (on the seat in pix). So apparently they all did not come with them.

BTW - my 73 2L didn't have them from when I bought it used in Dec. 75, but it had been repainted 2x before that, so who knows!!??

He did drive it as his DD for a few years initially, has replaced the Rockers with new OE steel ones back in the 70's or 80's due to damage to originals when he took it skiing. Recently had the engine rebuilt/overhauled with 93 mm pistons/cylinders due to a cracked valve/etc., but he's not sure of current displacement. Battery tray & Hell Hole are pristine, but I forgot to do an engine bay shot. He also had the front bumper rechromed & the license plate bracket holes filled in the process, but rear & top pads are all original. Coco mats are a recent addition to repro what he had in the 70's.

He's got some minor paint, seals & detail issues to get taken care of, & wants to go back to the basketweave dash face.

Jerry's also looking for another pristine early side mirror to put on the passenger side, because he does drive it some & wants it for safety reasons, so let me know & I'll pass it along if you have one.

He's planning on going to G&R next Sunday, but not sure if he'll take the 914 out again for that, although I'm encouraging him to do so for some drooley.gif time.

Jerry isn't really interested in doing the CW thing - although he & his 914 are obviously suited for it! ... I mean look at his almost 40 year old car with as new blue & yellow plates!!!!!

So here goes - excuse the photo quality, but these were done on my cell phone camera to have the smaller file size to fit the limits here & the red/orange in them is RED in real life!!!! .... drooley.gif wub.gif w00t.gif pray.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... more at next post ....
smile.gif
Tom_T

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
Tom_T
Note the pristine original 40 year old plasti-chrome tow hook cap & wheel center caps, & still perfect blue-gold California plates! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
Tom_T
... last one ... unmolested 71 914/4!!!!

Click to view attachment

So now we just need to get Jerry to post more & detailed pix & the full story at "The few, the rare...." !!!! type.gif

Ya reading this Mr. P!!?? shades.gif
URY914
Love the wheels. I had those on my car when me and the were young.
DanT
wow, that looks almost like my 1st 914. a 1970 1.7L biggrin.gif

Tangerine with brown interior, and Empi wheels and 165s smile.gif
old scanned pic makes the car look red, but it was Tangerine
Tom_T
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 18 2010, 07:30 AM) *

wow, that looks almost like my 1st 914. a 1970 1.7L biggrin.gif

Tangerine with brown interior, and Empi wheels and 165s smile.gif
old scanned pic makes the car look red, but it was Tangerine

Dan - Jerry's 71 914 here is actually L30E Bahia Red - but my crappy cell phone camera makes it look Orange-ish. I use that because my good Canon 8MP camera does 1+MB on the lowest rez setting, & it's a PITA to crop everything to fit the max post size here.

However, here's one of his that I took far back for room to crop with the "good camera", which shows the beautiful & unfaded original red paint rendition more correctly!

Click to view attachment

The black upholstery is beautiful too, with a more realistic leather-look to the graining of the leatherette & pre-basketweave inserts (I think Pat's has it too), with a no crack/no blemish dash top pad! Also note the OE wife's purse on the floor! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Perfect original AG Loop Pile Carpet, Leather wrapped Steering wheel, Shift knob & boot (rubber then)! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

He also added the 914-6 Combo Fuel/OT Gauge back in the 70's to monitor the engine temp, but still has his OE Fuel gauge stored.
Pat Garvey
Very NICE survivor!
Pat
914_teener
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 18 2010, 05:28 PM) *

Very NICE survivor!
Pat

Sorry Tom...I would have showed up with my 1.7 but....I had a hot date in Chino...tough call. It's a beautful car. I'll be at the G&R meet next weekend so I look forward to seeing it. There was an all origianl six out there last year.... not everyday that you see one of those too.

Sorry Pat, wish you were here....in the 11th grade I remember working at a grocery store across the street from Rusnak Porsche and seeing a 914-6...Arctic Blue....been in love ever since.

Oh...BTW date went pretty good too!

Rob
Tom_T

Can't blame you on that Artic Blue 6 Rob! wub.gif

Very nice looking L80E you've got there!
... that's what mine will be going back to in the resto to OE.

Gee Rob - I hope your date wasn't at Chino State Prison! lol-2.gif
.... just funnin with ya! biggrin.gif

I don't know if he'll bring the 914, or his DD, or ride with me in the Westy!
... my 914 has not been running since 85 & has a way to go before I can take it out there. sad.gif

Yes Pat, Jerry has always been very careful with his 914, & truly deserves his nickname (Mr. P. above)!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.