Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1/8" Difference between windshield frame and targa bar on each si
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghuff
So my targa bar to windshield frame is 1/8" different between sides.

Coincedentally(sarcasm) on the same side as the light accident damage in the rear I uncovered.

I would like to fix this before any welding and engman kit install happens :| However I have no clue how.

If I had to reassemble the car and primer it to get it to a frame machine, I would do it just because. But I hope that is not the only way.
VaccaRabite
I never looked for this kind of information about my car. At first, because I did not know to. But after I learned about it, I declined to make the measurements because ignorance is bliss.
smile.gif

Zach
ghuff
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 14 2010, 01:20 PM) *

I never looked for this kind of information about my car. At first, because I did not know to. But after I learned about it, I declined to make the measurements because ignorance is bliss.
smile.gif

Zach

I opened pandoras box.

At least when I am done slaying demons, it will be proper and right. Come hell or high water.
charliew
I would also measure the top of the door gap on the closest side. Is the gap with the door shut different from side to side? If the door is shutting good and it's gap is good and the same as the other side just adjust the windshield to fit the door wing window on either side and be happy. Course you might want to see how the top fits before you adjust anything. Oh yeah is that with you standing in the door jam?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 14 2010, 02:10 PM) *

A lot of times people use the corner of the windshield frame to lift themselves out of the car.

The windshield frame bends easily. I would first try to move the windshield frame to a point where the top rear latches line up perfectly with the recess on the mounting mechanism.

You can pull/push the frame with little effort by hand ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
ghuff
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2010, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 14 2010, 02:10 PM) *

A lot of times people use the corner of the windshield frame to lift themselves out of the car.

The windshield frame bends easily. I would first try to move the windshield frame to a point where the top rear latches line up perfectly with the recess on the mounting mechanism.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

Good call never thought of that.

My door gap may be skewed, since the idiot body guy welded this with what looks like giant arc sticks... ugh.

I will get some more measurements tonight and report back, if it is just the windshield frame and everything else is kosher I could bend it back myself I bet.

I had to smash the windshield out, idiot PO or bodyshop glued it and it cracked as I was cutting it out sad.gif
Eric_Shea

Yup... just bend it where you want it.
charliew
You may have adjusted it removing the windshield
rick 918-S
My DSL fried Sunday. I have been off line for a couple days.

Factory specs are within 3mm. Think splitting the 3mm you found by both sides = 1.5 average. Now follow that down to the belt line. (top of the door) If the rear of the car is jacked up you would see it in the gap. But this 3mm you are reading at the top of the windsheild will now like 1.5mm or less. within spec. If it's just the windsheild frame both belt line measurements will be the same. If the belt line measurements are the same right to left push the frame up and call it good.

Unless you can find an issue with the door gap I don't think I would worry about it. Just be sure you brace the car well before welding the engman kit. You should be fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.