Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw-out bearing grease
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KenH
Anybody know what kind of grease is used in the 901 throw-out bearing??

It is some sort of heavy waxy grease.

Ken
Rusty
Ken,

I didn't know that was an item that could be serviced/regreased. Are you going to tap a zerk fitting into it? Sounds cool.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
They cannot be regreased as far as I know. But if you are doing this on the cheap just use a high quality bearing grease and force as much in there as you can. Then clean up the outside of the throwout bearing. This will last for a while but if the bearing is out of grease and when you spin it, it makes a grinding noise-junk it!

Geoff
Ira Ramin
I regreased one once and it went bad within about 2K miles. Had to pull the engine to replace it. It wasn't worth it.

Ira
Red-Beard
You pop the retainer off and the ball bearing holder can be removed and cleaned. I used a heavy silcone grease. Actually very easy.

James
dmenche914
i regreased a dry one, was not fails, just on verge of failing. If the bearings are pitted, or race scored, it won't last long. If it is just getting dry, you might be ok for many more miles.

I cleaned mine in solvent, and used compressed air also. Then i used a high temp bearing grease and put the bearing in a plastic bag, with the grease, and worked it in (bag kept the grease on the bearing, and off my hands)

Bearing continued to work fine after that, so if you are on the cheap it might help. But if it fails, you got to pull the tranny and start again. Also if you fail to remove excess grease, or use a grease that runs out when hot, you will destroy a expensive clutch.

If is a chance, could be very economical, or it could cost you more in both parts and labor, so carefully wiegh the option aginst the potential down side.

best of luck

dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.