sure which radio to install, Im leaning toward the Sapphire confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 15 2010, 10:06 AM) *

I am about to do some of the little "finish" work on the Creamsicle, but am not

The blaupunkt of course is the best but very very few 74 models ever had them. The vast majority had the sapphire radios installed with the cheap plastic fake brick weave face plate!!!!!
flipb
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 15 2010, 01:12 PM) *

The blaupunkt of course is the best but very very few 74 models ever had them. The vast majority had the sapphire radios installed with the cheap plastic fake brick weave face plate!!!!!

Really? My '74 2.0 has the Blaupunkt AM/FM. It was a high-option car with console, fogs, Mahle wheels... should I suspect that the Blaupunkt is not original?
smg914
QUOTE(flipb @ Apr 15 2010, 10:29 AM) *

Really? My '74 2.0 has the Blaupunkt AM/FM. It was a high-option car with console, fogs, Mahle wheels... should I suspect that the Blaupunkt is not original?

No, remembering that radios were dealer installed on 914-4s, it is entirely possible that the dealer that sold your car new installed the Blaupunkt radio. However, being that the Blaupunkt radio was a more expensive radio then the Sapphire, to help keep the price down on their entry level Porsche, dealers usually offered the lesser expensive radios and saved the more expensive radios for their well-to-do 911 buyers.
Lavanaut
Rich - this is one of those few cases where you can go with any of your listed choices and nobody could ever tell you it wasn't correct. If I were you (having had a Sapphire in my '74) I'd go with the Blaupunkt am/fm. Let us know what you decide!

Reid
Pat Garvey
I don't think there is a "most appropriate" radio, and it isn't limited to the LE's.

Most of us took delivery with, either no radio, or "whatever" the dealer talked us into. LE's were no different, because the technology hadn't advanced significantly. Remember, almost all 914's were sent to the dealers with no radio. Car may have been delivered with the speaker option & no radio, but very few came from the factory with a radio.

Many of the original owners opted for the Sapphire. Maybe because they were in deep & needed to save money. Others opted for the Frankfurt.

Point is, either is correct, since they were almost all dealer installed. Won't show on your COA, unless you opted for Factory installed.
You're safe with either.
Pat
914werke
(Pics added)
corsepervita
Very cool thread. I find it interesting to see what kind of options were available in these cars. I'm only vaguely familiar with Blaupunkt due to their speakers in my 944 (both oem and aftermarket). Cool to see how far back this stuff went.
914brokenfilms
OK it was probably never installed, but what about a Becker Europa II? My original dash plate has already been cut to DIN size.

If I found an un-cut dash plate and wanted a Frankfurt - would it be with a black surround as shown above - or a chrome surround? I've also seen period Blaupunks with a plastic faceplate that would go over over the basketweave... I'm so confused.

My teener is late '72, but the radio is so much younger...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914brokenfilms @ Apr 27 2010, 09:15 PM) *

OK it was probably never installed, but what about a Becker Europa II? My original dash plate has already been cut to DIN size.

If I found an un-cut dash plate and wanted a Frankfurt - would it be with a black surround as shown above - or a chrome surround? I've also seen period Blaupunks with a plastic faceplate that would go over over the basketweave... I'm so confused.

Number 1 - what is your VIN?
Number 2 - After I bought my 914 in late 72 (and I bought it without a radio), I went to Critchfield (VA). Bought all the parts and a Frankfurt to install. My camera is dead, but the surround is chrome (metal). I've had the car for 38 years. The radio has been played less than one hour per year (just a statement from a whacko CW).
914brokenfilms
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 29 2010, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(914brokenfilms @ Apr 27 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Number 1 - what is your VIN?
Number 2 - After I bought my 914 in late 72 (and I bought it without a radio), I went to Critchfield (VA). Bought all the parts and a Frankfurt to install. My camera is dead, but the surround is chrome (metal). I've had the car for 38 years. The radio has been played less than one hour per year (just a statement from a whacko CW).

PAT - VIN is 4722919442 - should be late '72. I saw a photo on Rennlist with the frankfurt am/fm stereo and chrome surround. I will hold out for one of those and get an un-cut dash plate... I doubt I will ever listen to the radio though. Mark W.
tod914
I seen the Europas and Frankfurts on Ebay that have been modified to accomodate an Ipod. Something to consider.
Porcharu
Where can someone (me) find a Blaupunkt AM radio. I don't like music in the car (only at home) and this would be perfect for me.
Johny Blackstain

agree.gif To save money my Pop & I installed the saphire the dealer sold us. Since pulled that cause it stopped working & put in a 1975 Frankfurt.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 30 2010, 06:50 PM) *

I seen the Europas and Frankfurts on Ebay that have been modified to accomodate an Ipod. Something to consider.

It's easy to make the auxiliary input connector. The Frankfurts had a DIN input on the back that overrides the radio when something is plugged in. Ingenious!
bembry
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 30 2010, 11:30 PM) *

Where can someone (me) find a Blaupunkt AM radio. I don't like music in the car (only at home) and this would be perfect for me.

US Ebay now and then, and somethimes overpriced though. Try German ebay--there's loads of them there (www.ebay.de) if you can get them to ship to US.
carr914
Here is a Correct Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM with Chrome surround

Click to view attachment
blazerchad
i have a 72, had no radio when i found it 3rd owner... but no faceplate either... I found this..

IPB Image

i found it in a porsche graveyard... from a 914 with the basket weave plastic.

cut little porsche switch on the front for am or fm, mono radio.
blazerchad
IPB Image
rick 918-S
I have a new twist on this discussion. I purchased a Blaupunkt AM/FM for the Raspberry car. I'm wondering about it's origin. I have done a couple google searches but didn't really find anything conclusive.
There is part of a paper tag left on it. All that's left is MOD

Then the real puzzler. The case is stamped "Made in Taiwan" WTF.gif

I know these radios were dealer installed so anything goes really, but I'm just curious for curiosity's sake if anyone has a clue about what this is and why it say's Made In Tiawan" I thought these were German radios?
rick 918-S
Front of the radio
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.