Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut balljoint interchangability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
veltror
Gents, I wonder if you would be so kind to explain to me WTF.gif I am thinking. Quite some time ago a few years ago I bought some ball joints etc. I now have a pair of 911 Koni structs I am going to use. I have looked at various parts diagrams and read the info from a previous thread and I am still confused. Please look at my pictures and tell me if I can use the parts I have. The balljoint has a wedge cut out of it and the bolt has a double taper. It is still going to be some time until I get my car back but I would like to get as much of the mechanical parts rebuilt and ready to go in as possible.

Thank you very much

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Apr 9 2010, 02:40 PM) *

Probably , but a 75 balljoint won't work on a 71 strut bottom , as the early struts used a bolt that slides through and tightens into the strut housing which is split and the balljoint stud has a halfmoon shape that the bolt mates with to hold onto the stud as well as the clamping action of the bolt. The 75 balljoint uses the wedge pin system that started on 914's in 73 , the strut bottom is not split but a solid area around which the stud slips up into and the wedge shaped pin is usually tapped into the wedge shape of the stud from the balljoint and captured on the other side with a lock nut and washer to keep the pin from backing out. Make sure that the arm will take the 914 torision bars as the 911 arms has a different spline size than the 914 do and will not swap over . Good luck , hope this helps with your question.

Jack / Jaxdream

dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes you have compatible stuff
McMark
agree.gif The early pinch bolt setup would have a noticeable split right here.
realred914
use lots of anti-sieze on this bugger!!!! it makes it so much more better later when you have to replace stuff to have anti-seized it when new.
veltror
Gentlemen , many thanks... one less thing to buy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.