Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fine tuning my 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
I have the car running. Got the basic points and initial idle OK. Runs rich. Starts and idles at 1400, but stepping on the pedal makes it die every time. What is the ohm reading on the TPS?

Also, I am having a bit of trouble getting the fps reading. I took a fuel pressure gauge and tapped it into the 5th injector, and it was WAY too high, peaking at 42psig, so I backed the bolt way back, but still, it dies on moving past idle.

Set it at .017 TDC on my early 2.0, where a white mark is 27 degrees past a red mark. Dwell seems to be good at 45. I temporarily put in a 1.7 decel valve and MPS just to see, but it had no effect. Nor does clicking the ECU from 11 clicks to 22 one at a time.

5th injector unplugged and fuel hose is plugged. I think I have a leaky hose or something, but I am getting fatigued.

Tried getting it to 3500 rpm and saw the red line march toward the timing notch, but it still dies most times before getting the rpm to 3500.

Any ideas? I have check all fuel lines, hoses are new, and I think the fps is set ok.

Stumped in SoCal. Don't want to have to tow it to someone, but if I do, who is good with 2.0's near Anaheim Hills 92808?

My young mechanic is in school till June, but I don't want to wait that long. I have most of the needed tools, and even unplugged the TPS, but did not do the resistance check yet. My hands are too cut up from banging around all week on it.

THANKS ALWAYS TO ALL YOU GENIUSES!

John
avidfanjpl
underthetire
Here
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm

Good tech tips, and how to calibrate and check the TPS, set timing, etc.
avidfanjpl
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 17 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Here

Thank you!

Turned out I bought and installed the wrong head temp sensor. 2.0 for 73 is so different that it made all the difference. Pelican is the only one with the right part.

Should make a big difference when I install it with the washer.

THANKS!

John
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Apr 20 2010, 09:09 PM) *

Here

Thank you!

Turned out I bought and installed the wrong head temp sensor. 2.0 for 73 is so different that it made all the difference. Pelican is the only one with the right part.

THANKS!

John

Curious how it runs when u get that new sensor put in. I have had very similar problem with 75 2.0 as well, ordered the temp. sensor but have not yet installed it- i a chasing a mis-fire problem right now too.
Look forward to hearing if that works out.

PW.
avidfanjpl
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 21 2010, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Apr 20 2010, 09:09 PM) *

Here

Thank you!

THANKS!

John

Curious how it runs when u get that new sensor put in. I have had very similar problem with 75 2.0 as well, ordered the temp. sensor but have not yet installed it- i a chasing a mis-fire problem right now too.
Look forward to hearing if that works out.

PW.

Got it idling great, but cannot take a load yet and stay running. Need a new fuel pump. It is pumping back into the tank. Pressure sensor in the pump must be dead.

I am seriously considering a 2 port pump rather than the wildly expensive 3 port pump.

AutoAtlanta 225 plus core is killing me.

Other places prices are even worse!

Good luck!

J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.