Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are these new?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-HEADER-...sQ5fAccessories
I've just got a funny feeling. The don't even have them on the OBX website. They look a lot like the old Kerry Hunter design, but I've never seen them before. confused24.gif
Mark D.
914Sixer
I have never seen or heard about these.
jsayre914
never heard of it but seems they been making them for every vehicle

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.ph...=Header+Systems
FourBlades

That is very inexpensive, I wonder if they are any good or how well they fit.

John
Andyrew
They are known for making the worst quality parts known to man...

Their metal is far superior than standard and their welds crack.

That being said, someone try it! smile.gif
'73-914kid
The tube shape looks literally identical to my Kerry Hunter header. I wonder if lifetime manufacturer defects covers cracked welds.. It sure does look pretty though, but not pretty enough to be a POS worth $250 if the welds crack and it doesn't fit....
charliew
Obx makes a helical lsd for a lot of trannys and the ones for the suby tranny has worked for a few years just fine on the nasioc site. Also I have a set of ss wrx suby headers from ebay but I don't know for sure if they are obx but they were cheap and they are at least as good as other more expensive brand headers for the suby that I've seen. They were not equal length though. I cut them up and shortened them for one of my projects.
BMXerror
Yes. Well, we have to be careful of the typical Porsche car enthusiast's mindset that more expensive is better, and cheaper is crap. I've studied a bit of manufacturing engineering as a side point to my job, and if OBX does this all the time, they may have all the tooling they need on hand to produce a quality product inexpensively. Chris Foley (for example) makes an awesome product, but I'm sure most of the expense comes from the fact that his headers are all hand built, one-off units. For $250 it may be worth getting a set just to try out.
Mark D.
VaccaRabite
If they had been around 2 or 3 years ago when I bought my EuroRace headers, I would have bought these instead. its hard to argue with $250, unless they are total crap and fall apart on install.

Someone needs to buy them and try them. the KH header was fairly well regarded - similarly to the Eurorace.
Zach
yeahmag
Now that is wild... I love the idea!
Jake Raby
This isn't a system for any particular application. It can go into any TIV powered vehicle and allows dozens of variations in exhaust system design to be compared back to back, time and time again.

We can do a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 arrangement and can then do either as a step header or conventional arrangement either on the engine dyno or chassis dyno and then gain data from real time street application as well.

We can use 1-5/8, 1-3/4, 1-7/8 or even larger primaries and secondarys and changes can be made in a matter of minutes that have in the past taken weeks to compare. When the ptimum arrangement is found for the intended RPM range and peak power output, then a prototype with those characteristics can be easily built to fit the vehicle for future production.

This system and the others we have devised like it are tools. Tools developed for ass kicking.
underthetire
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 19 2010, 02:13 PM) *

This isn't a system for any particular application. It can go into any TIV powered vehicle and allows dozens of variations in exhaust system design to be compared back to back, time and time again.

We can do a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 arrangement and can then do either as a step header or conventional arrangement either on the engine dyno or chassis dyno and then gain data from real time street application as well.

We can use 1-5/8, 1-3/4, 1-7/8 or even larger primaries and secondarys and changes can be made in a matter of minutes that have in the past taken weeks to compare. When the ptimum arrangement is found for the intended RPM range and peak power output, then a prototype with those characteristics can be easily built to fit the vehicle for future production.

This system and the others we have devised like it are tools. Tools developed for ass kicking.

It's a Mr. Potato Head for a 914. Looks fun!
tat2dphreak
THAT LOOKS F'N cool!

If they had been around 2 or 3 years ago when I bought my EuroRace headers, I would have bought these instead. its hard to argue with $250, unless they are total crap and fall apart on install.

Someone needs to buy them and try them. the KH header was fairly well regarded - similarly to the Eurorace.
Zach

agree.gif

if by some chance the metal is so mild that it rusts very quickly(which I doubt) then if could probably be repaired cheaply by a muffler shop and still come out a great value for someone who wanted a "street header"

turnaround89
whats the difference between a 1.7 exhaust and a 2.0, are they interchangeable, because im kind of interested in this but don't have a 2.0
DBCooper
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 18 2010, 04:51 PM) *

They are known for making the worst quality parts known to man...

No, sorry, EMPI won that prize so many times it was retired years ago.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 19 2010, 01:27 PM) *

if by some chance the metal is so mild that it rusts very quickly(which I doubt) then if could probably be repaired cheaply by a muffler shop and still come out a great value for someone who wanted a "street header"

304 stainless could have some points of minor oxidization but it wouldn't hurt anything. And not just any muffler shop could weld 304, but with the price of stainless these days that price is RIDICULOUSLY cheap. It won't stay shiny like that, but I'd say the only two risks are cracked welds and poor fit. If you can deal with those I'd say jump on it.
tat2dphreak
wasn't that award even named the EMPI? small oval globe looking thing wink.gif
Katmanken
That's slick Jake....

With that setup, you can tune the exhaust header lengths to look for the optimum length for a particular combo of engine parts, and you can check for optimal exhaust routing in a particular chassis before you go to rigid pipes.

I'm still looking for the slide trombone fittings to vary the pulse lengths. With a coupla slides, you won't have to keep cutting the flex pipes to look for an optimum length.

Only problem I see with something like that is: the more variables you have, the more combos you have to try to get meaningful data to identify the optimum setup.
ghuff
More chinese ebay parts.....

If you like doing it twice, go ahead.

I can show you photos of a perfect looking used cast iron turbo manifold over 1/4" thick that manages to warp every 8 thousand miles, even when all 12 nuts are torqued even with nordloc stainless hardware.

That is cast iron 1/4" thick. Good luck with this super thin material. I bet it is schedule 0.
Sawfish
Run! away from OBX!!! stay as faar away as you can from these headers
sean_v8_914
do a search on OBX 914 header. theey do not fit. OBX will not honor the return or exchange
sean_v8_914
look at the mount tab clocking and the shape of the flange. not even a plasma cutter and a 20 lbs sledge will make it fit
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 19 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Wow!!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 19 2010, 02:28 PM) *

whats the difference between a 1.7 exhaust and a 2.0, are they interchangeable, because im kind of interested in this but don't have a 2.0

In stock form, all of the exhaust parts are different. The 1.7 exchangers have a slightly narrower inner diameter for the pipes, and their outlets are further off the ground than the 2.0 and a different distance apart (I forget if it's closer together or further apart). So the muffler does not interchange, nor the muffler hanger.

But you can swap the whole exhaust between 1.7 and 2.0, because both sets fit both motors.

Exhausts that don't have to fit the stock mufflers or bolt to the stock exchangers can be the same between the 1.7s, 1.8s, and 2.0s. (Unless you're talking the late Bus 2.0, which had different exhaust ports--but that's a whole 'nother topic.)

--DD
rick 918-S
I have seen these headers at Sean's shop. Junk with a capitol "J" You couldn't even cut off the stubs and re-clock them by re-welding the mounting stubs because the stubs that are against the heads have mis-shaped openings that look to have been just wacked with a hammer to oval them and mis-mounted bolt ears that won't line up with the bolts. screwy.gif There is nothing about these headers that are good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.