Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I need some help here. My 73, 2.0, FI engine has developed a gas leak. The leak only occurs when starting when it is cold. It does not leak every time when I start it, only sometimes in the morning - seems like it is more prone to doing it after sitting for a day or two in the unheated garage. The leak is significant enough that gas pools on the left side engine tin near the injectors and also drips onto the ground. It never leaks when it is warm or even later in the day when the temperatures are warmer. This makes me think - CSV.
The leak seems to be coming from under the air cleaner box - near the cold start valve. I have not been able to get it to leak when I have the air cleaner box off so I can't pin point the location - yet.
I have checked the fuel hoses and they seem good and I can't see any places that may be worn from chafing. I am reluctant to remove the CSV because I don't know what I would be looking for anyway. Do these crack or is there a gasket that can go bad?
So, why would it only leak on start up in cold weather (and not all the time)? It looks like there is a direct line from the fuel rail to the CSV so if it were cracked or bad, it would leak all the time.

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
dr914@autoatlanta.com
You probably have a bad injector. They leak when cold and then seal themselves. Rebuilt or new ones are commonly available at the usual suspects places of business.

QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Apr 22 2010, 09:09 AM) *

I need some help here. My 73, 2.0, FI engine has developed a gas leak. The leak only occurs when starting when it is cold. It does not leak every time when I start it, only sometimes in the morning - seems like it is more prone to doing it after sitting for a day or two in the unheated garage. The leak is significant enough that gas pools on the left side engine tin near the injectors and also drips onto the ground. It never leaks when it is warm or even later in the day when the temperatures are warmer. This makes me think - CSV.
The leak seems to be coming from under the air cleaner box - near the cold start valve. I have not been able to get it to leak when I have the air cleaner box off so I can't pin point the location - yet.
I have checked the fuel hoses and they seem good and I can't see any places that may be worn from chafing. I am reluctant to remove the CSV because I don't know what I would be looking for anyway. Do these crack or is there a gasket that can go bad?
So, why would it only leak on start up in cold weather (and not all the time)? It looks like there is a direct line from the fuel rail to the CSV so if it were cracked or bad, it would leak all the time.

Thanks.

Warrenoliver

warrenoliver
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:58 PM' post='1307510']
You probably have a bad injector. They leak when cold and then seal themselves. Rebuilt or new ones are commonly available at the usual suspects places of business.

Thanks for the quick reply but it's not the answer! headbang.gif

I started it this morning with the air box removed and I could see it is leaking at the back end of the CSV valve - somewhere near the hose connection and the wire connection. I didn't have time to retighten (again) the hose clamp because I was on my way to work.

Tomorrow, I will take off the hose and check the end of it and trim off a little and reattach. Yes, the clamps and hoses are the correct ones because this is a car that was gone over by the "Krusty One" aktion035.gif

When I am in there, I might take the CSV out to look for any cracks that might be causing the leak. Are there any tricks to this or things to avoid?

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
dr914@autoatlanta.com
That is easy enough. Just replace the hose and recheck. HOPEFULLY it is not the valve. They are expensive even used! No tricks at all. Just make sure you use no intrusive hose clamps

[quote name='warrenoliver' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:52 AM' post='1308021']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:58 PM' post='1307510']

Thanks for the quick reply but it's not the answer! headbang.gif

I started it this morning with the air box removed and I could see it is leaking at the back end of the CSV valve - somewhere near the hose connection and the wire connection. I didn't have time to retighten (again) the hose clamp because I was on my way to work.

Tomorrow, I will take off the hose and check the end of it and trim off a little and reattach. Yes, the clamps and hoses are the correct ones because this is a car that was gone over by the "Krusty One" aktion035.gif

When I am in there, I might take the CSV out to look for any cracks that might be causing the leak. Are there any tricks to this or things to avoid?

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
[/quote]
realred914
to bad your in upper midwest you may actualy need the cold starter valve. mine has been off line on many 914's, dont need it where it never freezes.
keep an eye on the hoses, make sure they are the right high pressure stuff,a dn not worn. make sure clamps are all the correct non-perferated type, use only the solid band type (else rubber will extrude thru the holes, hence loosening the connection.) (note cloth rapped hose is resistant to this, however none of the new rubber formulation hoses that are oxygenated-fuel proof are not cloth wrapped as far as i know.

have fun fixxing it, no smoking!!! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.