Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition basics flow chart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Comments? Suggestions? Seems to come up a lot, so I though i'd give it a try.

Click to view attachment
pcar916
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 22 2010, 08:43 AM) *

Comments? Suggestions? Seems to come up a lot, so I though i'd give it a try.

The images didn't come over beerchug.gif
underthetire
I can't seem to get it as a Jpeg, so it's in HTML format. Shows up on my computer, anyone else get it? anyone have a way to convert it?
ericread
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) *

I can't seem to get it as a Jpeg, so it's in HTML format. Shows up on my computer, anyone else get it? anyone have a way to convert it?

I am able to view the .htm file.

Eric Read
underthetire
Tried to do a PDF, but it cuts off half of it?
ericread
I like the idea of flow charts, but for the ignition sequence, there's a lot to review;

Battery (source of 12v)
Coil
Dizzy (electronic or Points/Condensor)
Dizzy (Cap, rotor, gap, timing, dwell, FI triggers)
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
Injector trigger wiring (from dizzy plug to individual injector plugs)
Grounds
Ignition circuit wiring
Ignition sequence (what does what, when. This is necessary to cut your troubleshooting in half, then trouble shoot forward or backwards from that point. Each time you make progress, yoyu again cut the problem in half)
Symtomatic reasononing (what the common indicators are for each type of issue).

The best flow chart I have seen is over at PBanders site:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm

Eric Read
underthetire
I agree with actual starting conditions, there would be way to much to list. I was just thinking of basic no spark conditions. I think if there was one for no injectors, no fuel, etc, one for no spark, maybe one for just plain won't start. I think if you had one flow chart for everything it would be mind numbing. Someone way better at flowcharts and computers could do a way better job than I can!
76-914
I was able to view & print it! Thx aktion035.gif
ejm
The flow chart fails to consider a bad ignition switch. You need to check for voltage at the coil while cranking before looking at the points and condensor.
bandjoey
Good chart. It opened with IE but not Foxfire.
charliew
Opened fine with vista home and msn explorer for me. Looks like a simple IBM flowchart from the 80's. Also on troubleshooting the coil if you know you have 12v you can short the terminal that goes to the points with a jumper just momentairly like striking a arc and the coil should fire like when the points are working. Course you need to have the coil wire out of the cap to observe this.
ThinAir
Here is a PDF of the chart.

FYI. That kind of file only opens in Microsoft Internet Explorer so only Windows users can open it (it's htm, not html). I'd recommend using a drawing tool like the one in OpenOffice.org and saving it as a .jpg or .gif image for distribution since anyone can open those. OpenOffice.org runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux and is free so anyone can get it and use it.
underthetire
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 4 2010, 11:17 AM) *

Here is a PDF of the chart.

FYI. That kind of file only opens in Microsoft Internet Explorer so only Windows users can open it (it's htm, not html). I'd recommend using a drawing tool like the one in OpenOffice.org and saving it as a .jpg or .gif image for distribution since anyone can open those. OpenOffice.org runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux and is free so anyone can get it and use it.

Good suggestions, I'm no computer guy, I can do some stuff, but not willing to buy software.
swl
in the "no power at the coil" box: What fuse is associated with spark?
High Path
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 22 2010, 12:13 PM) *

The best flow chart I have seen is over at PBanders site:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm

Eric Read

It would be better if it addressed the differences between D-jet and L-jet cars. The fuel pump relay (#75) isn't used by L-jet systems. Their fuel pumps get power from the dual relay under the battery. The various manuals out there do a lousy job of explaining this fact. Evidently they were all written in the age of D-jet, and weren't updated very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.