Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do stainless heat exch add power?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
dont have any dyno runs to prove it but....
what do you think?
any dyno sheets out there?
sean_v8_914
sure is purdy
sean_v8_914
just add Bursch 4-2-2-1
Root_Werks
Never seen any dyno sheets, but yeah, I've heard quite a few say it helps to open up the system, compliments a nice header/muffler. Broadens the tq range.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:23 AM) *

sure is purdy

get that heat exchanger off of that nice rear trunk lid Sean!!!!!!!!!!
BigDBass
agree.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 22 2010, 01:23 PM) *

just add Bursch 4-2-2-1

Babydoll has this setup. It's louder than my 911 or my Corvette!
TROJANMAN
YES. Especially if you are converting over from the 75/76 crap they put on these cars.
VaccaRabite
Granted, this is not backed up by anything. But. A few years ago there was a dyno test run by someone, somewhere so see what provided the most power. It may have even been Jake, but I dunno - so I'll stick with "someone."

SSI and a Bursch gave + ~3hp, and was the best option out there if you wanted to keep heat. To get more, you had to go get headers.

Now, don't ask me to find or verify the source.

Zach
Drums66
Sean......I'd say with just that! it's not noticable.....just the beat your chest
Bravado sound bye1.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 22 2010, 11:53 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
TROJANMAN
:postwhore:
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 22 2010, 02:51 PM) *

Granted, this is not backed up by anything.

When I swapped OEM HEs for SSI on my then 2.0L car, there was a slight improvement in performance. If you get a chance to hold an OEM and SSI heat exchanger, you'll notice how much less the SSI weighs. I think it was Colin Chapman who used to say 'add lightness'. The SSI might flow better (I really don't know) but the weight savings sure helps when you don't have much horsepower.
Sleepin
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Apr 22 2010, 02:19 PM) *

:postwhore:

slap.gif
jim_hoyland
I never felt anything on the buttmeter, but they heated up the interior in about a minute; nice warm fuzzy feeling
Katmanken
I lined the inside of my SS heat exchangers with little tiny ball bearings that spin to allow the exhaust stream to exit the heat exchangers at a much higher velocity.

I think that they doubled my power at the very least according to the latte-o-meter which splashed hot latte in my lap from the increased power.

When the spinning turbo prop is placed on the end of the exhaust pipe, I expect the exhaust gasses to spin the prop and to increase the exhaust flow even more.

At some point, I expect the gas tank to start filling up from the increased efficiency.
JRust
How about backdating the 75-76 2.0 to the 73-74 exhaust? How much difference does that make confused24.gif
rick 918-S
I don't have that answer either but I would really like to see more of that Blue car! drooley.gif
Silverstreak
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Apr 22 2010, 03:21 PM) *

Granted, this is not backed up by anything.

. I think it was Colin Chapman who used to say 'add lightness'.

That's Sir Colin Chapman. Love that philosophy. biggrin.gif
corsepervita
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 22 2010, 06:49 PM) *

I lined the inside of my SS heat exchangers with little tiny ball bearings that spin to allow the exhaust stream to exit the heat exchangers at a much higher velocity.

I think that they doubled my power at the very least according to the latte-o-meter which splashed hot latte in my lap from the increased power.

When the spinning turbo prop is placed on the end of the exhaust pipe, I expect the exhaust gasses to spin the prop and to increase the exhaust flow even more.

At some point, I expect the gas tank to start filling up from the increased efficiency.

Lol, I'm starting to enjoy this forum more every time I log on.
r_towle

Granted, this is not backed up by anything. But. A few years ago there was a dyno test run by someone, somewhere so see what provided the most power. It may have even been Jake, but I dunno - so I'll stick with "someone."

SSI and a Bursch gave + ~3hp, and was the best option out there if you wanted to keep heat. To get more, you had to go get headers.

Now, don't ask me to find or verify the source.

Zach

the testing was done by Grass Roots Motorsports during their 914 build.
Its published on their website.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-c...73-porsche-914/

Rich
bigkensteele
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 22 2010, 12:36 PM) *

I never felt anything on the buttmeter, but they heated up the interior in about a minute; nice warm fuzzy feeling

Are all of your "shiny" parts in the picture stainless? I only have the exchangers themselves and didn't get the other goodies. Perhaps that is because I bought them at a swap meet 10 years ago...

Anyone know if an early 2.0 exhaust setup will work on a '75 1.8 with FI? Not sure if there is an O2 sensor or not... I have the early exhaust and a good 1.8 with a swiss cheese muffler. Really want to get this thing running.

Sorry for the slight hijack.
Dave_Darling
There has never been an O2 sensor on a stock 914.

The whole 73-74 2.0 exhaust will swap onto your 75 1.8; just make sure you use all of the heater parts from the earlier car because just about none of the newer parts will fit the older exhaust. Nor will the muffler or muffler hanger from the later car.

--DD
thomasotten
Get you a muffler to match... I get compliments about this all the time...I even once had someone shout a compliment while driving!

IPB Image
warrenoliver
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Apr 23 2010, 02:43 AM) *

Get you a muffler to match... I get compliments about this all the time...I even once had someone shout a compliment while driving!

IPB Image

BLING!!!!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Where in the heck did you get that thing?

Warrenoliver
Sleepin
It looks to be Jet Hot coated? huh.gif
Smitty911
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 22 2010, 06:49 PM) *

You forgot to add for the additional Thrust you recieve from the "turbo" tailpipe. This is a perk based on the exiting exhaust velocity will be faster than the speed of the car. It should be good for 10% better fuel milage 15% on a yellow car (everyone knows yellow is the fastest and more effiecent color).

You might also want to try getting some Magnetic Fuel Line Clamp, they are supposed to get up to 10% better fuel milage.

The only downside is:

Everyone knows you can't turbo a 'teener. smile.gif
sean_v8_914
...you think that blue was nice, check out yeller. this 1.8 with those new SSIs will beat a twin turbo in the qtr mile and up at willow
sean_v8_914
I forgot to take pics of the bashed in nose. this is just after I pulled it all out. the insurance wanted to total it untill I convinced them that it was a $12,000 car
sean_v8_914
here's Brit's bomber, teh 10jereen and Mike's blue at SCCA NT in SD
sean_v8_914
I love this car. she opted to buy everything Mikey 914 rubber makes so NEW EVERYTHING rubber and Bruce Stone did a bumper since hers was destroyed in teh collision
sean_v8_914
...and now back to exhaust.
sean_v8_914
there are folded taco bell napkins under that ssi, look at teh shadow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.