Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mikey - whats the possibility of making these NLA rubber parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JeffBowlsby
Chassis harness snorkel tube
JeffBowlsby
And alternator grommets. I have good samples of both these to make molds.
Mikey914
The alternator grommets are pretty straight forward. I was trying to find a decent one to take a look at those, The snorkel can be done, but the tooling cost would be significantly more. Just a mater of how many people want them. Jeff, if you want to get a count on these I'd be able to get some numbers together.

Thanks,
Mark
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:35 PM) *

The alternator grommets are pretty straight forward. I was trying to find a decent one to take a look at those, The snorkel can be done, but the tooling cost would be significantly more. Just a mater of how many people want them. Jeff, if you want to get a count on these I'd be able to get some numbers together.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark - I'll need a new snorkel! biggrin.gif

Also a definite on the early rain tray, but you'll need to do something to strengthen the long front edge so it doesn't warp & waterfall into the bay. I'll post you pix at that topic, if you could PM me with the link to it.

Jeff - good idea & there are some other raggedy ones I need to find pix of & send to Mark too! See you Wed. am & we'll figure out a time to get together to talk things 914 there! biggrin.gif
Gint
I looked for a used snorkel in reasonable condition for years until I finally found one decent enough. I saw one (already sold) NOS unit back in 06 or so. If you made new ones I would buy one for sure.
914Sixer
I am in for the alt gromets. I have a good used tube but you never know what will happen when you try to install it. I will take one of those too.
watsonrx13
I don't need one now, but put me down for at least one. These will come in very handy when shops start fully restoring these cars.

-- Rob
IronHillRestorations
IMHO the wiring snorkel, would be best if you could make it so it could be split and glued together, so you don't have to pull the rear half of the harness to install it.
kharma
Definitely would be interested in the snorkel, a new early rain tray would be nice as well!
kconway
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 23 2010, 05:36 AM) *

IMHO the wiring snorkel, would be best if you could make it so it could be split and glued together, so you don't have to pull the rear half of the harness to install it.

I'd be in with a split snorkel.

I asked Mark about doing the "suction housing" gasket for the alternator recently since its NLA. But help me out here, it's just a gasket, are you guys using something else instead on this one? confused24.gif

Kev
McMark
I am IN for both. And I'll be a repeat customer on those for sure. Pretty much every snorkel out there is toast.

While a split snorkel would be neat and dead simple to install, the rear section of the harness is REALLY simple to pull. I'd also be more nervous of the split snorkel coming undone later.

I asked Mark about doing the "suction housing" gasket for the alternator recently since its NLA.

Which one is that? The 'ring' between the alternator body and the engine tin? The paper gasket between the alternator body and the rear cover? Or the elbow between the impeller housing and the rear cover?
kconway
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2010, 08:50 AM) *

I am IN for both. And I'll be a repeat customer on those for sure. Pretty much every snorkel out there is toast.

While a split snorkel would be neat and dead simple to install, the rear section of the harness is REALLY simple to pull. I'd also be more nervous of the split snorkel coming undone later.

I asked Mark about doing the "suction housing" gasket for the alternator recently since its NLA.

Which one is that? The 'ring' between the alternator body and the engine tin? The paper gasket between the alternator body and the rear cover? Or the elbow between the impeller housing and the rear cover?

I'm thinking about the 'ring' between the alternator body and engine tin.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2010, 08:50 AM) *

Just a thought, could you use some sort of "Lacing" like when assembling a conveyor belt? There are different sizes, for different applications.

Click to view attachment
McMark
I like you're out-of-the-box thinking. But what about waterproofing? That's the point of the snorkel. wink.gif
charliew
All that stuff is going to be needed for anyone trying to keep a stock car top notch. I guess there is a priority for each one though. The snorkle seems to be in first place. Maybe the front and rear parts could be seperate from a wrap around piece in the center that could then be glued together? Clean new rubber glues really good. Course an exact replica is always better if it's the best engineering and longest lasting.
JeffBowlsby
An informal thread like this asking for raised hands for these items just shows todays demand, a mere glimpse in time, and only for those that read this thread. Consider the long term need and demand, there are enough 914 owners that will need these, maybe not today, but over the next weeks, months and years.

I second the call for a single piece snorkel like OEM.

Mike, let me know if you need to borrow my samples.
MrKona
I'd also be interested in an OEM style snorkel and alternator grommet.
Socalandy
I'm up for both!!
burton73
I would like a new snorkel!

Bob
Markl
I know I need a new alternator grommet - I don't even know where the snorkel tube is, but I'm sure I need one of those, too. Mark's parts are so nice, I might get one just to admire it!
tod914
I'm in for a snorkle tube. What's involved with the install?
McMark
Unhook the wires from your

tail lights
license lights
rear trunk light
14 pin connector on the relay board
aux. blower wires
fuel pump
oil temp sender
four big red wires at battery +
grounding lug under the relay board

Pull all those wires through the front engine shelf.
Remove the nasty old snorkel.
Install the new one.

Not a simple job, but also not beyond the scope of a DIY project. I would estimate that anyone should be able to do the whole job in about 5 hours.
bandjoey
IN if on stuff like this it was split for installation with double stick tape, glue, etc. I can't undo the harness just to put this on. w00t.gif
McMark
The rear harness really is not bad.
Tom_T
Oh & Grommets too!

& I agree about not splitting it, as that defeats the purpose of having it & it will keep allowing the harness to pop out, & stitching it will let in water.

Oh 7 how about some swim fins to go with the snorkel!!?? biggrin.gif
Zimms
I am in for 2 of each.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2010, 09:16 AM) *

I like you're out-of-the-box thinking. But what about waterproofing? That's the point of the snorkel. wink.gif

"Out of the box", That's what us Mechanical Designers/Drafters do!! Laces would then face down. Any water or oil would run along the top and then contact the laces and run down then drip. It wouldn't be bullet proof but keep the major stuff off. A glued piece would still be better but the glue is the failure point if a failure were to happen so Eventually moisture would penetrate. In the greater scheme of things a one piece would be best.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 23 2010, 03:39 PM) *

It wouldn't be bullet proof but keep the major stuff off.

Sorry man I couldn't help myself... lol-2.gif

Pat Garvey
I'm in for 2 snorkels, and 2 grommets. What's the deal with the rain trays? Musta missed something?
Pat
Pat Garvey
Waht about the J-tube to sheet metal grommets(021.119.627.B/A)? Any chance for those?
Pat
Mikey914
Put the rain trays on the back burner for a bit. The WAS top project in now primary, I have a few other items that were already in the works that will come out shortly. I can do the grommets no problem, just a matter of need to make it viable.

kconway
End users can always slit the snorkel and reglue after installation...
IronHillRestorations
I'll have to double check, but I think the alternatory grommets are available.

I doubt if you are going to pull all the wires, with all those spade connectors through that snorkel, sooner or later you'll run out of ID. The wires alone pretty much fill the conduit.

I bet with some creative molding you could probably make a snorkel so it could be split.

I've always called it the "chicken neck".
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 23 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Waht about the J-tube to sheet metal grommets(021.119.627.B/A)? Any chance for those?
Pat

you can get those from bus parts suppliers as its the same part number.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 24 2010, 05:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 23 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Pat

you can get those from bus parts suppliers as its the same part number.

Pat - try busdepot.com near you in PA, or GoWesty.com or any of the other VW bus/van parts suppliers online or local VW dealer.

BTW - we all want to see some progress pix on Fritz! biggrin.gif

Tom T
///////
Mikey914
If these are available, I will not make these, just let me know if they are and I'll take them off the list.
Thanks
underthetire
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 23 2010, 04:57 PM) *

End users can always slit the snorkel and reglue after installation...

agree.gif That would be best so the "pat" guys still have bone stock. Could probably use CA glue like the oring kits you buy and splice together.
Mikey914
I was under the impression the snorkel was a 1 part unit.
I could do a 2 part and add flanges to the sides ( about 1/8") to make it easy to glue with CA.
strawman
I'm in for a snorkel.
IronHillRestorations
OK, I was wrong, the grommet I found is smaller, it's for the wires to the master cylinder and also the fuel pump. Sorry
Gearhead1432
I could really go for a new snorkel. The original part would be a serious chore to install with 40 year old wiring. I think if there was one seam it would be a snap to install. Then just glue it up.

-Rob
Mikey914
Digging this one back up and starting some GB threads-
Alt Grommets
Snorkel tube
bulitt
I would be in for a grommet kit for front and back firewalls!
Mikey914
Working on it sunglasses.gif
914Eric
Don't even know where they go, but you can count me in for one of everything as long as there are instructions or at least a location map. wink.gif

Just let me know. What I don't use now in my refurbish, will be used someday in the restoration.

Mikey914
The Alt grommet can easily be replaced (and may be needed) when the alternator is replaced. The snorkel is a little more involved, but could be swapped out when you have the engine out. The idea is with a little soapy water the wires will slide right through.
RON S.

Snorkle tube for sure....

Every body's tube is dry rotted..

All are 30+ years old now., and most likely all are wrapped in electrical tape to seal them up too...

The electrical tape is the only thing holding their shape by now.

I'm included....

Mikey914
Guys thanks for bumping the thread, but as there are several items going here I started individual threads to keep it straight, as some items will get produced faster. If you can bump the corresponding thread, I'll be able to PM you as the items get done.
Thanks,
Mark

PS I have devised a way to join the tubes to make them water tight ,but I will have to test it. Pretty sure it'll work.
914Eric
To Mikey, racer chris and anyone else who makes or has NKA NOS parts.

I want one of everything. If I don't use it in the refurb I'm doing now, someday I'll use it in the resto.

After this post, I'm ordering my diaphram from Chris before the price goes up. laugh.gif
gothspeed
Edit: ... oops, I just found the GB thread for these:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=200378
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.