Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who needs this part ? Bumper on engine deck lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
This is a part that Eric wanted to know if I could produce. It's a bumper for the engine deck lid, that keeps you from opening the rear trunk into the engine deck lid. Many of these are no longer intact. I'm looking to make these, it there is enough people that want them. Really need to have 30 takers to start the die. I have done the drawings to make this, If I could get 50 units sold they'd be $8 each.

These were on the early cars to at least 73.
So the question at this point is who needs them?
McMark
Just to add some info, this bumper is to protect the rear trunk lid, should you open it while the engine lid is open.

I'd take one to help defray the cost of making the die.
watsonrx13
Can this be installed on the '74 and later cars?

-- Rob
charliew
this must be needed if the engine lid doesn't go as high as the one on my 75
tradisrad
In for one or two
McMark
AFAIK, this can be installed on any car. It's a safety feature. I'd rather spend $8 on this, than repaint a whole trunk lid because someone or something bumped the engine lid and chipped the paint. It's not that crazy, and $8 is not that much.
bandjoey
left and right
TJB/914
Just a word of caution, you need the #3 steel bracket to make it work.
Check if it's available from Porsche?? idea.gif

Tom
MrKona
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 23 2010, 01:38 PM) *

Just a word of caution, you need the #3 steel bracket to make it work.
Check if it's available from Porsche?? idea.gif

Tom

I just checked the part number for #3 (914 512 325 10) on Pelican and it shows available (certainly no guarantee that it's not NLA...) for $11.50.

Also PET catalog shows just one per car.

Lastly, I'm interested in this, as it sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like mounted, as I don't have one on my '74.

Any idea why Porsche would not have used this piece on all years?
montoya 73 2.0
I would take 4 if at the 8 dollar price. I will take a pic of mine when I get home if it is still needed.
Zimms
I am in for 4
windforfun
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 23 2010, 02:27 PM) *

left and right

I think there's only supposed to be one on the left.

shades.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Here are some pics. I only have one and it's on the drivers (left) side.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
From the other thread, Mark (Mikey914) mentioned making the steel portion as well.
Mikey914
The metal clip is NLA, I checked. I can make them, once again, a matter of demand. Probably not enough demand to actually stamp the part. I would probably wind up machining one. Looks like we could be in the ball park for the 50 pcs. So it should be viable at the $8 price, just a matter of a few more takers.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 23 2010, 08:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Are those fuchs candles on the wine rack? Too cool!

Mikey, I'll take 4 rubbers and the brackets if ya make em.
jcb29
My engine lid has only one on the left (drivers) side. The factory spare parts catalog indicates only one assembly required including - "rubber stop" 914.512.195.10 and the "reinforcing angle" 914.512.325.10. If you use only one then you need the "distance bush for water drip cup" 914.512.182.10 to maintain the necessary spacing between the "engine compartment cover" 914.512.022.10 and the "water drip cup" (aka the drip tray) for the corresponding screw on the opposite side. However, seems like the configuration of the recesses in the drip tray could accommodate a "rubber stop" assembly on both sides.

Put me down for two.
zonedoubt
Factory shop manual shows one only on the driver's side.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Only one needed as shown. These wil be ready in about 20 days.
jcb29
Looks great.
As I indicated in a previous msg, put me down for two. One for my current project and one for the next one.
Any progress on the angle bracket that goes at the base of the rubber bumper?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 3 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Only one needed as shown. These wil be ready in about 20 days.

2 for me - if the metal bracket is available as well
jcb29
Any progress on the bump stops?
realred914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 24 2010, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 23 2010, 08:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Are those fuchs candles on the wine rack? Too cool!

Mikey, I'll take 4 rubbers and the brackets if ya make em.

love!!!!
zeezee
I'll take one!
Mikey914
I have these, so far a grand total of 2 have been sold. I can't justifiy the expense of manufacturing the metal bracket at this point. If you want one PM me $12 + shipping.

Thanks,
Mark
bandjoey
The angle bracket can be made from a lot of things from home depot...shelf brackets to roofing tin to a pipe on a bolt.

I'll add a rubber to the front trunk seal when they're ready. biggrin.gif
eric914
i'm in for one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.