Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914-8 (Piech car) Lots of pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Found this ...

A lucky guy actually drove the damn car ! ...

http://www.autozeitung.de/faszination-auto...on-porsche-9148

smilie_pokal.gif
914Sixer
COOL!!!
Sleepin
blink.gif I wish I spoke German.

Translation according to worldlingo.com:

The car, with which Ferdinand Piëch oscillated between Zuffenhausen and white oh, is not a usual Volkswagen Porsche 914. In the engine bay the Achtzylinder Boxer of the racing car Porsche 908 you
raves kennscht themselves nevertheless with denne old cars out “, says museum boss Klaus bishop on Swabian and shows me as locking briefing the pull-switches for the two electric circuits and the fire extinguisher. Otherwise the 914 like a beetle, says he would run still. In the case this Porsche 914 is not correct so completely certainly.
That notices even the Uneingeweihte, as soon as he turned the key and the eight cylinders directly behind the operator's cab to start. Exactly, you read, eight correctly. Because this blood-orange central engine Porsche has the raw body and the chassis together with the car, which came before plentiful 40 years as Volkswagen Porsche 914 on the market, only.
We remember: Center of the 60's VOLKSWAGEN and Porsche pushed, at that time under the direction of Heinrich northhope and for Ferry Porsche, a common sports car project on, which should replace the antiquated „large “Karmann Ghia type 34 with VOLKSWAGEN. And Porsche looked for an inexpensive a riser model as replacement for the luckless 912.

1969 came the car under the name Volkswagen Porsche 914 on the market, available with the Vierzylinder Boxer VOLKSWAGEN 411 or the two-litre six cylinder Porsche 911 T. That the 914/6 likewise no best-seller became and already fell after two and a half years and approximately 3000 built cars from the Porsche program, is another history.
The 914/4 nevertheless sold itself completely properly, up to the Produktionseinstellung 1976 built for VOLKSWAGEN nearly 120,000 copies.
Two pilot lot Protoypen anyhow - and thus we are again with our Achtzylinder-914 - received neither 411 - still another 911-Motor. The cars with the chassis numbers 914-106 and 914-111 got Porsche 908 in the running department in Zuffenhausen eight cylinder engines missed.
Hausherr in the running department was the young Ferdinand Piëch. One of the two eight-cylinders was intended for it, the others got head of the company Ferry Porsche than present to 60. Birthday presents.
Both copies survived, them are located in the again built, noblen museum at the Porsche place in Zuffenhausen. And from time to time little discharge gets.
From now on. The 16 candles in the eight combustion chambers seem nearly simultaneous to ignite. They wrap the backyard of the Porsche museum into a tender light blue cloud burned Synthetiköls and cover it with a sound carpet from Ansaugröcheln, exhaust noise and exhaust thunders.
Klaus bishop says some more, before he slams the door. From its lips I believe „drive carefully and much fun “to have read off. To hear I cannot do it, just as few as the rapid-transit railway after because the city, which a few meter by-creeps further apparently noiseless.
The car, with which Ferdinand Piëch oscillated between Zuffenhausen and white oh, is not a usual Volkswagen Porsche 914. In the engine bay the Achtzylinder Boxer of the racing car Porsche 908 WITH
THAT 908 raves BECAME PORSCHE WORLD CHAMPION
driving noise 84 railways (A) promises in clean technician handwriting filled out the vehicle registration of 10. September 1969. Possibly the car was here in Zuffenhausen and the measuring instrument perhaps in fire brook. The engine in the engine room only at first sight inconspicuous 914 is finally not simply only any eight-cylinder.
Ferdinand Piëch selected itself for its central engine racer the finest, which at that time in Zuffenhausen was available: the Dreiliter Achtyzlinder of the Rennsportwagens 908, with which Porsche began at that time in the sports car world championship. The 908 in the winter 1967/68 had in great haste developed, when the new limit was specified to the same measure for the sport Protoypen of the world championship surprisingly on three litres capacity - as at that time in the formula 1.
The 908, the desired Le Mans Gesamtsieg could not fulfill expectations of its technical designers was missing so completely. And after only one year the 4,5-Liter Zwölfzylinder-917 built after the again new regulation replaced 908 as Zuffenhausener top-class sportsmen.
Test also our free Design lemons photo Quiz:
” Which autoflops fit to each other? Try it out!
Porsche became nevertheless 1969 superior sports car world champions, particularly owing to the 908-Siege at the only castle ring, in Monza, fire Hatch and Spa. The desired Le Mans Gesamtsieg - before only by the dozen class victories in the lower categories had succeeded to Porsche - got the 917 in the following year.
One this 908-Motoren sits now sprotzelnd and rushing in 914 behind me. The barrier at the museum yard exit lifts up. Now I cannot pinch no more, the 914 and I must loosely, because the photographer waits. The first course lies left in the back, as it is right itself for a running transmission.
The cold eight-cylinder gives itself still a little widerspenstig, just as the clutch and the Sperrdifferenzial sträubt themselves, and a little against close bending maneuver. Before the museum entrance park the first visitor penalty, their passenger are inferior before the entrance and look loudly rolling by 914 to the something entgeistert.
It lasts a few meter by the Zuffenhausener local traffic, until the Boxer accepts gas properly. Air-cooled evenly, and air is rather coolly today. Only I sweat. Although the heating is not at all switched on. The other cars approximate flat 914 apparently threateningly. What do I make, if the priceless prototypes rams now? Or I one the others? Which legend I then Klaus?
The FIRST COURSE HANDS ALREADY NEARLY TO 100 km/h
on the highway by the straw gau direction white oh, about 20 kilometers to the west of Zuffenhausen, becomes traffic more calmly. And the oil in Achtzylinder Boxer, Fünfganggetriebe and Differenzial more supply. I turn the engine more highly, switch later and try not to lose the photographer combination from the rear view mirror.
Before 40 years, when Piëchs 914/8 was built, white oh, the today's Porsche development center was not, any more than one test track in the Swabian Pampa and a large building site. Only in July 1971 the first Porsche developers pulled made of Stuttgart after white oh.
I discover the true nature of the Über-914 only after a while. Between 4000 and 7500 revolutions he shows his second face. Then it pushes only scarcely the central engine racer heavy over a ton in such a manner violently in front that one certifies loosely 500 HP to the projectile. Completely so many are it certainly not. In the running trim carried out 908 official 350 HP.
The registration papers promise under-trieven 260. Klaus bishop estimates that about 300 would have to be. The number of revolutions limit of 8400 revolutions, and thus the maximum performance of the running engine, the Boxer reaches only with open running exhaust.
250 km/h in the vehicle registration appear convincingly, the assumed under six seconds from the conditions on 100 km/h realistically. Finally one must switch only once, the long first course is enough already nearly to 100. For a long time before the photographer are the 914 and I at the gate in white oh.
The Porsche cools down knisternd, and I lean leave in engine proximity at the Targabügel. So as if I would have already brought the valuable piece to welfare back in the museum. Thanks, Klaus. Heinrich Lingner
DRIVE
eight-cylinder double-piston engine, air-cooled - 2-Ventiler, 4 cam shafts - drilling x stroke: 85.0 x 66.0 mm - capacity: 2996 cm3 - 260 HP with 7500 /min. - max. Torque: k. A. - mechanical. Bosch injection - 4.42 kg/PS weight per horsepower
STRUCTURE + CHASSIS
self-supporting steel body - independent suspension, in front with wishbones, torsion bars, absorbers and stabilizer; in the back with diagonal steering wheels, feathers/springs, absorbers and stabilizer - all around: Disc brakes - rims: 5.5 x 15 - tires: 185/70 VR 15
BASIC DATA
L/B/H: 3985/1650/1361 mm - Wheel base: 2450 mm - Unloaded weight: 1150 kg - Additional load: 200 kg - Level of fuel in the tank: 62 litres - driving noise: 84 railways (A) - 0 100 km/h: approx. 6.0 s - Maximum speed: 250 km/h - Construction period: 1969 - Number of items: 2 copies
1970 Neun vierzehn
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Thanks Johannes (the French guy) for the link. More pics for my file. clap56.gif

Paul
johannes
A shame they didn't brought a camcorder. I would have loved listen to the engine ...
EdwardBlume
Nice find! Thanks! It totally looks like a "prototype" body from the bumpers, flares, and signals...
veltror
I never drove it, but i sat in it and started it up.... LOUD!!!
johannes
QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 26 2010, 06:46 AM) *

When and where did that took place ?
realred914
good luck fitting the targa top in that trunk. engine is much too large and extends into the trunk. what was they thinking????????????????

nice photos however!!!!!!!!!!!!!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
JmuRiz
I know you were joking about the targa...but I think this one is bolted in like the GT cars.

Surprised someone hasn't tried to make a kit or car with those headlights and bumper shape...drool.
thomasotten
See if you can spot the 914/8 in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6raQS0z5DY

Admin Edit: Fixed the YouTube link for you ...
carr914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 26 2010, 05:12 PM) *

I know you were joking about the targa...but I think this one is bolted in like the GT cars.

Surprised someone hasn't tried to make a kit or car with those headlights and bumper shape...drool.

Not bolted in like a GT, it is Steel Roof like a 916. One of the 2 918s has a sunroof.

Does anybody have an old label-maker, I want these made.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 26 2010, 07:02 AM) *

Nice find! Thanks! It totally looks like a "prototype" body from the bumpers, flares, and signals...

That's because it is one of the two 914-8 prototypes ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/prototypes.php

shades.gif Andy
sixnotfour

Too funny , we just 5S'd a brand new ole lebel maker at work. Guess who has it ????

I am redoing mine,, TC let me know what you need. blk with white letters is what I have
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 26 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Too funny , we just 5S'd a brand new ole lebel maker at work. Guess who has it ????

av-943.gif

Thanks for butchering my language. Too funny ...

Maybe you guys should invest in a dictionary!
biggrin.gif Andy
sixnotfour
Maybe you guys should invest in a dictionary

what do you think it says ?
Help would be good
jd74914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 26 2010, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 26 2010, 05:12 PM) *

Not bolted in like a GT, it is Steel Roof like a 916. One of the 2 918s has a sunroof.

Click to view attachment

I think my mom has one for her classroom. If she does I can make them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 26 2010, 07:40 PM) *

Help would be good ...........american point of view

Well, that's the funny part, some of it does not make any sense to me.

ole is Spanish i believe.
My guess is you mean the German word for oil, which is "Öl" or "Oel" (without the Umlaut).

Kraftsoff Pumpe (Fuel Pump) is missing a 't', the correct spelling is "Kraftstoff Pumpe".

eins is obviously for one of two something. Should be capitalized. "Eins"

zwei is obviously the second of two something. Should be capitalized. "Zwei"

Arger Licht makes no sense at all. My best guess is you mean emergency flasher lights. "Licht" meaning light or lights.
"Arger" probably stands for "Ärger" or "Aerger" (without the Umlaut) but that word makes no sense here.
http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&search=aerger

Boxenstopp Pitstop? So, you pull that switch if you have an angry pit stop? Confused ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 26 2010, 07:40 PM) *

I looked at it again and i think i get it now.

So the car has two fuel pumps that can be switched on/off and emergency lights in case one has to do a unexpected pit-stop.

Am i close?
idea.gif Andy
johannes
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Apr 26 2010, 03:26 PM) *

See if you can spot the 914/8 in this video...

Yes, at the end of the video shot at the museum garage. smilie_pokal.gif
veltror
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 26 2010, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 26 2010, 06:46 AM) *

When and where did that took place ?

Hmm, 1994 i think ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=91337&hl=

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.