Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swaping a 2.0 for the 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
Hey everybody,

Newbie here. I have lurked her for a long time, and learned some great stuff from some amazingly knowledgeable folks. I signed up in february, but this is my virgin post, so be gentle with me, and maybe give me a little cuddle when we are through. I was infected with 914ism when I bought my first 914 "Swiss Cheese Edition" when I was 16 (that was 24 years ago??? AHHHHHH!!!). I have owned 5 drivers on and off over the years , and currently have a very nice 72 with a stock 1.7 that I have had as my summer toy for 4 years.

Recently I picked up a very well running 75 stock 2.0 after the guy driving it said I was full of shit when I told him he really needed to address his very rusty rear suspension counsol mounts before they gave way. Well, shockingly the passenger side gave way. So, now I own it as well as his 2 parts cars. I intend to swap the 2.0 for my 1.7. I know that the 75 is not as desirable as the earlier 2.0, but it is still more HP than my 1.7, so aktion035.gif in she goes.

I have spent about 3 million hours laying under my 914s over the years, but it has always been under 73 or older cars. I had a really nice 75 2.0 in the late 80's, but it was so dependable, I never did anything but replace an air control box. Consequently, I don't have any good frame of reference as far as what things are not gonna mate up when I swap these rascals. My question is a four parter:

1. What parts do I need to change to accomodate the side shifter in place of my current tail shift;

2. What thangs are not gonna be a simple re-connect (and what the hell do I do about it) when I put the 75 2.0 in my 72 1.7 engine bay. I have literally had older d jets in and out of my cars dozens of times over the years, but never dropped anything newer than a 73. Thus, I don't really have a good feel for what changes I will have to deal with switch to the 75 2.0.

3. Are there any changes I should make while I have the 2.0 out. Other than clean the hell out of it, I am looking for ideas on simple modifications which will improve reliability or performance. While, for the first time in my life I own a 914 AND have the money to spend on it if I want, I am not really looking to drop 2k on a dual weber setup or anything like that right now.

4. Is there any way to use my shiny perfect 1.7 SS heater boxes with the 75 2.0. I understand they are not intended to be interchangible, but since I don't have to worry about emissions testing out here in the boonies, I am just wonering if anybody has tried to make this kind of retro fit.

There, that wasn't so bad. Just a little bleeding on the sheets, and an overpowering desire for a cigarette, but other than that losing my viginity was great. Now I have to go rifle though my trash for the Dove soap box I threw out this morning. I sold a few little parts off those cars on E-bay, and I picked up a great tip on how to save money on shipping today.

Can't wait for the wisdom to come pooring in. beerchug.gif

Chris
garyh
I did a '73 1.7->2.0 swap. Unbolt old, bolt in new.

Your's will be different because of the transmission stuff.

IIRC, you'll want to swap the engine, tranny, engine mounts, mounting bar, and ALL of the shift linkage.

The only problem you'll have with the FI is the routing to/from the charcoal cannister.

1) All the linkage from the knob to the tranny.
2) No worries.
3) Replace the crank seals and the pushrod tub seals. Some asshole in Fremont has the correct list. Yank his chain, and he'll email it to you.
4) The heat exchangers will fit. Keep the muffler hanger from the 1.7. No, they won't be the best of the best of the best, but they will be better than stock-75.

G.
SLITS
Hey, if he has the early engine mount bar, he needs to take the body engine bar mount plates off the '75 and transfer to the '72 AND if he has a tailshifter, he'll have to get the adaptor bushing for the firewall for the inbbody shift rod.
brant
Gary covered it...

but sorta been there with a 72 motor into a 74, and here are some of the things I noticed:

-shift linkage.. Yes... every part of the 75 needs to go into the 72, including the motor mount bar/motor mounts/and motor mount metal brackets.

-wiring... the regulator board is the same. carry the 12pin motor wiring harness over from the 75 and plug it into the 72 board. There is one little difference on the power to the heater fan... your 72 fan would of been run from the 12pin connector, and now will need to be powered from the 14pin connector ala 75 style.

-exhaust... the 75 exhaust is not optimal. Your 72 exhaust is different from a 2.0, but not much different since you have the SSI's... Use your full 72 exhaust all they way including the hanger and muffler.
Gint
To compile a list boggles MY mind...

Welcome to the board! Post some pics in the Members 914 pictures thread. We love pics around here. Towards that end... forgive me...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dave_Darling
Just to make sure it's clear:

To swap in the side-shift transmission, you will need every piece of the gear shift linkage from the later car. You can use your old shift knob if you want, but all the rest must be the later parts. You must get the "converter bushing" that is sold by Pelican (and a lot of "lesser" companies, lol3.gif , including some Asshole in Redwood City). You must use the late motor mount bar (curvy one with the hole cast in it for the linkage), plus the outer solid mounts, plus the inner rubber mounts and their brackets. And you really should buy all new bushings and set-screws while you're at it--you'll never have better access to replace them.

Use your 1.7 version SSIs. You'll need the 1.7 muffler and muffler hanger as well, and use the heater hardware from the 1.7 also. The 75-76 cars had significantly different heater stuff (up to the diverter valve "flapper boxes" at least). You will need 2.0 exhaust gaskets, as the recess in the head is very slightly different, but the 1.7 exhaust simply bolts up.

Fussing with the relay board has already been alluded to.

--DD
SLITS
Dave, that was a shameless plug for the guy in Redwood City. lol2.gif
GaroldShaffer
Chris, Welcome to the Board!

I purchased a 70 with 75 2.0L & side shift trans last August. I don't know what was done to add the 2.0 but if you need pics of anything let me know.

If you can come out Saturday to Hooters at Orland park and you can check out my car. We are having our first (of many more I hope) Chicagoland 914ers get together. Here's the details hope you can make it.

Where:
Hooters of Orland Park.
15300 Lagrange Road Orland Park, IL 60462
708-460-4088

When: April 3rd @ 7PM

- Garold
garyh
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 1 2004, 03:28 PM)
You will need 2.0 exhaust gaskets, as the recess in the head is very slightly different,

Actually.... The difference between 1.7 and 2.0 exhaust gaskets is the inside diameter.

If you put 1.7 gaskets (smaller ID) in a 2.0, they quite quickly get a larger ID. cool.gif

G.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 1 2004, 04:28 PM)
You will need 2.0 exhaust gaskets, as the recess in the head is very slightly different, but the 1.7 exhaust simply bolts up.

--DD

I'm in the middle of doing a '73 2.0 swap with a 1.7 too. I need to use my 1.7 HE's on the 2.0. Do I need new gaskets if the old 2.0's are still intact & on the 2.0?

.......b
SLITS
I have bolted up with old gaskets - not the best idea, but it did work. I later replaced them to make sure the seal held.
garyh
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Apr 2 2004, 08:22 AM)
I'm in the middle of doing a '73 2.0 swap with a 1.7 too. I need to use my 1.7 HE's on the 2.0. Do I need new gaskets if the old 2.0's are still intact & on the 2.0?

.......b

Bruce,

Two choices:

1) Use new gaskets.
2) Anneal the old gaskets by getting them red-hot, and letting them cool slowly on a warm day.

Using new gaskets, I get a good seal 1st try 3/4 of the time.

Annealing old gaskets, I get a good seal 1/2 the time.

They ain't that expensive.

G.

PS: A very well respected 914 engine builder in the Redwood City area is totally unconcerned about the difference between 1.7 and 2.0 gaskets. At least he was the lat time I tried to buy the "correct" once from him. IIRC the response was 'Just use what you've got'.
aircooledboy
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Thanks for the help.

I will get the shifter bushing from Pelican (I just did all my old ones, wink.gif , oh well).

I am not real clear on the wiring deal, but it doesn't sound like brain surgery. I will figure it out.

As far as posting picture, I would be glad to if I could figure out how. If somebody could let me know how, I'd be glad to post the old girl's pic.

Garold, sorry I missed your deal in orland park, but I took the family up to the Dells this weekend. I used to work for a pharmaceutical company, and traveled to Orland regularly. Maybe next time.

Thanks all

Chris
Dave_Darling
You need your post count up to 5 or 10 before you can post a picture. At that point, in the "reply" or "new post" page, waaaay down below where you type in your reply (also lower than the whole box of clickable smileys), you will find "File attachments", and a typeable field with a "Browse" button on it. Click Browse, select the one (and only one!) file you want to include. Then hit "Add reply"--do not preview the post!! The file (picture) should get uploaded and be part of your post.

Be nice, don't post really really wide images.

--DD
aircooledboy
Thanks Dave. This makes 3 down 2 to go.

By the way, Pelican ROCKS. I went about 15 years between my current 914 and the last one I had to do any real wrenching on. I have become a little hazy on some things (which is completely unrelated to heavy drinking by the way. The voices in my head said so) The guys on the phone always know what they are talking about, and offer very helpful advice. Pelican is ALWAYS my first choice if it is a part you guys carry. The tech info database is my first stop if I am unsure about something. Can't speak highly enough of my experiences with your whole operation.

Chris
aircooledboy
Lets see if this works. Picture below?
aircooledboy
Yeah Ba bee! mueba.gif

It was the preview that was screwing things up.

Anyway, that's my girl. This was one of the photos the seller sent me when I first found it. Cosmetically, it looks pretty much the same now. Spent a fair amount of time renewing most of the external engine issues (seals, cables, hoses, lines connectors, etc. ) Runs pretty good now, but I am looking forward to getting the 2.0 in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.