Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quieter mufler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I am running a EruoRace header, and the "Turbo" muffler is LOUD. Ear plugs needed on the freeway loud. yes, it sounds mean, but it makes the car rather uncomfortable to drive for longer rides.

I would like to cut it off, and replace it with something a bit more quiet, but that will still work in the spot and allow me to use the stock exhaust exit in the rear valiance.

Any ideas?

Zach
pete-stevers
i have heard that the mk muffler is too quiet!!
i know that the triad is a "tad" loud,
I will be putting up my triad for sale
when i find a quieter muffler
i like talking to my passenger when i drive
Having said all that the triad is very well built, and looks damn fine
perhaps we should just ask him to make a queiter one for us biggrin.gif
I would be up for that!! beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
You could get one of those Aero technology mufflers. They have a straight throug design and use an airfoil to turn half the exhaust note 180 degrees out of phase with the other. The end result is NO restriction, NO fiber packing and low noise. They are quite expensive. The last time I researched them they wew around $600 each. But they're pretty bad ass...
sgetsiv
What about putting a Supertrapp on the tail pipe? I've got a Tangerine race header and muffler and am playing with a 4" Supertrapp that I can use when I drive to the track or an AX. $65.
campbellcj
For street cars that are relatively stock, I actually like the OE factory mufflers!
messix
QUOTE(sgetsiv @ Apr 24 2010, 11:01 PM) *

What about putting a Supertrapp on the tail pipe? I've got a Tangerine race header and muffler and am playing with a 4" Supertrapp that I can use when I drive to the track or an AX. $65.

super choke?!

old tech that didn't work well. the only way to get them quiet was to reduce the flow by using less diffuser discs there by increasing back pressure.

modern tech uses much better ways of reducing the sound waves and keeping the flow high.
Porcharu
A real muffler (like one with fibers and baffles) will help - a resonater in front will help more. No reason for a little 2.0 l engine to be loud. None at all.
charliew
If you can make it look ok the super trap is a great way to quieten a loud track exhaust down on the street. Other than a cutout it's the only way I know to easily quieten a high performance exhaust. The fact that you can renove or add disks makes it the cheapest way I know to fix loud exhaust and also tune in some backpressure for low speed torque. Yes you can buy good free flowing mufflers but they are not inexpensive. You could just add a turbo and that will help at low speeds. The short exhaust path and under car room makes it kinda hard to get both performance and low noise. You might researsh the corvette exhausts to get some ideas. My 3.4 v6 fiero surprises me that I don't get stopped. It's hard to not get it over 3k without sounding like a harley with straight pipes. It has headers and a gutted cat with a open muffler. Until it warms up and idles down it is even too loud at idle. If I get on it I know that a cop will be able to tell what car it was just by it's idle noise.
Drums66
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 24 2010, 11:02 PM) *

For street cars that are relatively stock, I actually like the OE factory mufflers!

in my opinion also!(no waking baby's) bye1.gif
DanT
stock muffler with a well done twin pipe biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Stock muffler will not work, nor will any other muffler designed for heat exchangers. Eurorace header on my car, which I am not ready and willing to get rid of and go back to heat exchangers. But, I don't want to have a headache from the engine noise on the road. I felt like I was just about yelling at HotShoe at Hersey.

under 3K, the noise is tolerable - sounds good. But once you get on it, it is just too loud for a street car. I want to be able to drive my son around in my car. I already have hearing loss from loud music and guns, and I don't want to get my boy going down that same path so soon.

Zach
GS Guy
Hey Zach - you might consider doing some custom exhaust work and fit an OEM Acura RSX muffler. I don't know how it would sound exactly, but knowing it can handle a 2L motor spinning 8Krpm, making 200hp - it sure can't be a restriction! You could probably pick one up cheap from all the young guys wanting to ditch the stock system for a fart-can muffler! wacko.gif

I can take some dimensions off mine it you want to measure it up? And sounds like the good doctor is already up to speed on custom exhaust work! biggrin.gif

Jeff
Mark Henry
Sounds like you're getting old Zack....

If I can't tone down the exhaust on my '67 bus I'm going to sell it. I have a 400 watt stereo and I can't even hear the fucking thing at 60mph.
turboman808
I'm with ya mine is freaking loud. 3 hours in the car is not much fun. I put in ear plugs coming back from hershey.

Whats scary is I know mine is quieter then alot of other cars. Maybe putting in a back pad would help. confused24.gif confused24.gif
Katmanken
I've been eyeballing the muffler under my 1986 VW Vanagon. It's a long straight can muffler that's shorter than the factory muffler, and has an intake and exhaust on opposing ends. Attached is an exhaust systen view to show how the muffler and catalytic converter go across the rear of the van, and show how much shorter the muffler is without the catalytic converter. It's lenght is between the cheap muffler you have, and the factory muffler. The middle pic is factory length, and apparently there are shorter ones as shown on top. For the teener, the can needs to be flipped to put the exhaust on the drivers side.

A side view is included to show the circular cross section that's about the same size as the stock muffler.

I'm thinking it's a replacement for a Bursch, or possibly an "S" pipe to go from my Eurorace. Nice low sound at idle, quiet at speed, straight through design, solidly built , and about $100 dolla US for the non-sstainless ones.

The shorter top one is SS and at:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...%26tbs%3Disch:1

The long one is also stainless at:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...%26tbs%3Disch:1
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 25 2010, 06:14 PM) *

I'm thinking it's a replacement for a Bursch, or possibly an "S" pipe to go from my Eurorace. Nice low sound at idle, quiet at speed, straight through design, solidly built , and about $100 dolla US for the non-sstainless ones.

THAT looks like it bears looking into.

Hey Zach - you might consider doing some custom exhaust work and fit an OEM Acura RSX muffler. I don't know how it would sound exactly, but knowing it can handle a 2L motor spinning 8Krpm, making 200hp

I can take some dimensions off mine it you want to measure it up? And sounds like the good doctor is already up to speed on custom exhaust work!

This also bears investigation. Fabrication of parts won't be a problem - once I have a solution that I think will work. My welds are not as pretty as some (I wish I could weld like Foley... damn!) but they are solid.

I know my car is also quieter then some, but certainly much louder then stock. I'd LOVE to be able to just put a Tangerine on it, and Foley was saying that he is working on quieter solutions. But that is out of my budget right now.

Are there can mufflers (NOT fart cans) that you can get from a FLAPS that would work, but quiet things down to stock or near stock levels?

Zach
Dominic
Does anyone use one of these Phase 9 or Phase 1 silencers on their street car?

http://quiethorsepower.com/index.html

http://www.tangerineracing.com/ExhaustComponents.htm

Mark Henry
The problem with any of the "highflow " mufflers out there is which one is the quiet one? Most I've heard are loud or get loud in short order.
I know I'll have to live with the valve train noise, etc., but I'm really getting to the point that I just hate the noise.

Personally, I don't want to spend big bucks on a system just to have another noisy POS.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dominic @ Apr 26 2010, 04:43 AM) *

Does anyone use one of these Phase 9 or Phase 1 silencers on their street car?

Too loud for a street car.
One of my customers who bought a race header for his track/AX car just finished the installation and drove the car to an event last weekend. He is already asking for a quieter muffler for days he wants to drive on the street.
I used to make the street and race headers interchangeable with the street and race mufflers but it was really challenging to get the pipes to end at a common point on both layouts. That, and no one ever asked for a race header with a street muffler or vice versa. Now I have to look at designing a quieter muffler for the race header since I don't really like the idea of putting a supertrapp tip on a Stage I Silencer to control the loudness.

Other than OEM, I think my street mufflers are the quietest available, and they don't create any undesirable backpressure.
grambo
I would suggest simply taking the car to a muffler shop and having them weld in whatever fits.
A friend of mine did this a few weeks ago after his bursch muffler blew out. The shop replaced it with a cylindrical muffler like above. No noticeable loss in power, and it's even a little quieter than the very reasonable Bursch.
wilchek
Zach,

I have a Bursch that I just took off to have Mike rebuild my tranny. At first I liked it but lately it seems louder than what I want. I am thinking about putting the stock muffler back on. However, I hate the sound of the stock system. That being said, the Bursch is not too loud from the driver seat. I think it is loud from the outside but not bad when you are in the car.
pete-stevers
bump....lets hear some more opinions
davidj
Check out the sound of this exhaust, I give it a aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Bosal Twin Pipe Exhaust Silencer on Porsche 914

Drums66
QUOTE(grambo @ Apr 26 2010, 02:45 PM) *

I would suggest simply taking the car to a muffler shop and having them weld in whatever fits.
A friend of mine did this a few weeks ago after his bursch muffler blew out. The shop replaced it with a cylindrical muffler like above. No noticeable loss in power, and it's even a little quieter than the very reasonable Bursch.

A nice custom(exhaust).... now that merits investigation! idea.gif
(I just don't trust many shops like that, unless they know these cars!)
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(davidj @ Apr 26 2010, 11:28 PM) *

Check out the sound of this exhaust, I give it a aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Bosal Twin Pipe Exhaust Silencer on Porsche 914

What happens when you bring RPMs to 3500?

What I have right now is fine until it gets around 3000 RPM. When I put my foot down, it gets really loud.

I am looking at getting a 4" supertrap for the time being, and looking into more invasive options over the winter if that does not work out.

Zach
jt914-6
Zach.....I use the 18.5" Supertrapps on my six. I have 18 discs in each. It is a bit louder than I wish. I think if I cut back to 6-12 discs each, it would be quieter.....

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Here is the deal, and the only reason I have not just bought one.

I am going to be clamping the Trapp over the tail pipe, and still be having the "Turbo" muffler that came with my header on the car. I want to make sure I am not going to hurt anything by doing this. I don't THINK I will, and I know I am going to be giving up some power, but my thought process is that I can always remove it if i wanted to DE or AX the car, and have a less loud ride for the street.

Zach
mudfoot76
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Apr 26 2010, 11:06 PM) *

bump....lets hear some more opinions

I am running the Tangerine Evo headers and "EVO II" silencer in my car. Exhaust noise isn't really a problem compared to the noise from the Webers right behind my head. Earplugs are a good idea for long drives.
RoninEclipse2G
What about a simple Magnaflow muffler in place of the "turbo" muffler? On my Eclipse I used to have one of those ricey turbo bullet mufflers and it drove me nuts how loud it would get above 3000 RPMS. I swapped it out for a magnaflow and it's been MUCH quieter.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ May 7 2010, 12:45 PM) *

What about a simple Magnaflow muffler in place of the "turbo" muffler? On my Eclipse I used to have one of those ricey turbo bullet mufflers and it drove me nuts how loud it would get above 3000 RPMS. I swapped it out for a magnaflow and it's been MUCH quieter.

Yes, but the question is which magnaflow to get. Seems like there are millions of them. I'd hate to ask the desk jockey there and end up with something just as loud as what I cut off.

Zach
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 7 2010, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ May 7 2010, 12:45 PM) *

Yes, but the question is which magnaflow to get. Seems like there are millions of them. I'd hate to ask the desk jockey there and end up with something just as loud as what I cut off.

Zach

Good point. I think I got an 18" 2.25 in/out full packing muffler. That diameter piping is probably too big for our T4 2.0's but it's just right for my 2.0 DOHC NA setup. IIRC it only cost me ~$75 and a little welding time.

It's not whisper quiet by any means, but it doesn't drive me crazy when I make the hour long trip to see my grandma every week
type11969
I'd like the muffler on my Westy to be quieter too . . . was thinking about cutting it open and trying to install a mesh cage on the inner perimeter, with stainless steel wool between the cage and the muffler wall. Or muffler packing. Seems like that should reduce the noise without hurting flow too much.

Was also thinking about building a new system from the HEs back to try swapping in different off the shelf mufflers but yeah, where do you start?

-Chris
GS Guy
My experience with mufflers in general, especially low restriction mufflers:
Bigger = Quieter
If you could fit (tow?? biggrin.gif ) a trailer size empty BOX on the back, with just an inlet and outlet matching the size of your exhaust, I'd bet it would be whisper quiet! But we're all limited on space. So it comes down to either OEM (pick a high output engine from and OEM manufacturer to choose that muffler from), or the biggest high flow aftermarket muffler that'll fit.

The 'trapp might be a good idea, basically adding a 2nd muffler, and you could "quiet" it further adding more restriction with fewer plates. Might do some funkiness to the carb jetting though???? confused24.gif

Jeff
Katmanken
Chris, what kind of exhaust on the Westy?

The factory Wasser mufflers are nice and big and quiet....

Not sure about the stainless steel wool lasting very long. Yup, it's stainless, but such fiberous things have a tendency of blowing out.

Why? I used to run glass packs on my Beetle, and EVERY one of them blew out the glass. Let's face it, glass is less reactive than stainless so it's not a corrosion issue.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(GS Guy @ May 7 2010, 03:45 PM) *

My experience with mufflers in general, especially low restriction mufflers:
Bigger = Quieter
If you could fit (tow?? biggrin.gif ) a trailer size empty BOX on the back, with just an inlet and outlet matching the size of your exhaust, I'd bet it would be whisper quiet! But we're all limited on space. So it comes down to either OEM (pick a high output engine from and OEM manufacturer to choose that muffler from), or the biggest high flow aftermarket muffler that'll fit.

This is probably the biggest muffler that will fit well under a 914. It is also about the quietest available, except for (possibly) the OEM units.
It is without a doubt the most free flowing, since it doesn't add any length to the primaries and has nearly zero internal restriction.
Oh, yeah - it is quite likely the most expensive muffler available for the 4 cyl. HEs too. happy11.gif
Click to view attachment
And until someone else orders one I will be the only person enjoying it on their daily driver. aktion035.gif driving.gif
type11969
Its an aftermarket unit that replaces the cat/crossover pipe/muffler. Mine were just about rusted to nothing, and since I don't need to get smogged in this fine state, I ditched it. Unfortunately the muffler is small and probably has little in the way of baffling. Even just a perforated metal cage with an air buffer between it and the muffler wall I think will help deaden the sound. I am tempted to cut open the stock muffler I have to see what VW did in terms of baffling/sound deadening and try to replicate it in this aftermarket unit. The stock one was nice.

Chris, what, in terms of baffling/sound deadening, is inside that killer muffler you have pictured? Or is it just an expansion chamber? Or are the guts top secret?

-Chris
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(type11969 @ May 7 2010, 06:37 PM) *

Chris, what, in terms of baffling/sound deadening, is inside that killer muffler you have pictured? Or is it just an expansion chamber? Or are the guts top secret?

It's essentially two EVO II Silencers back-to-back; only a semi-secret. biggrin.gif
There is an "expansion" chamber, two types of sound absorbing media, and multiple sound reflective surfaces that don't interfere with the exhaust flow.
r_towle
Zach,

Go to AutoZone and look at the hush thrush mufflers.
They are oval and look like the bursch unit.
I replaced my rusted out bursh with one and it sounds great.
I used one on my race car also to pass the sound meter check.

At the end, get a down turn pipe...the makes it quieter also.
Just measure what you need for length and which side it enters and which side it exits.

Oh, its 25 bucks also.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.