Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So here it is 1973 1.7 D-injection setting for a few years (I know I already said this before) anyways starts right up, after it warms up the idle slows down, right where I think it should be, but as soon as I hit the gas it starts to idle high,
1. all the line (vacuum) seem to be Ok the return spring is working fine,
how do I adjust the idle?
blazerchad
a few of the things i found in my idle mystery...

first, forget setting the idle... make sure your pedal board is tight and mounted, take the accel pedal out, moving free and smooth (spray with penatrating oil) then inspect your center tube between the driver and passenger side, clutch and accel cable (my clutch tube was free and the pedal board was loose and mounted wrong). I then took off the air system, tore out the tps assembly, cleaned and adjusted the accel cable with a helper engaging and dis-engaging the accel pedal full to rest. This got me close and my gas pedal snapping to a rest fully and moving your tps switch to the idle position. The spring is a good start, but if your accel cable is dry and your gas pedal is stiff, there is no way it pulls it to a resting (idle) position...
Then I adjusted idle (hook up all the vac lines and make sure they are in good shape)..
oldschool
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Apr 25 2010, 09:14 PM) *

a few of the things i found in my idle mystery...

first, forget setting the idle... make sure your pedal board is tight and mounted, take the accel pedal out, moving free and smooth (spray with penatrating oil) then inspect your center tube between the driver and passenger side, clutch and accel cable (my clutch tube was free and the pedal board was loose and mounted wrong). I then took off the air system, tore out the tps assembly, cleaned and adjusted the accel cable with a helper engaging and dis-engaging the accel pedal full to rest. This got me close and my gas pedal snapping to a rest fully and moving your tps switch to the idle position. The spring is a good start, but if your accel cable is dry and your gas pedal is stiff, there is no way it pulls it to a resting (idle) position...
Then I adjusted idle (hook up all the vac lines and make sure they are in good shape)..

thanks man, where is the idle screw? is it the one right at the right side of the body?
tps ?
Dave_Darling
TPS == Throttle Position Switch. The electrical thing that's on the throttle body.

The idle screw is on the side of the throttle body. On the left side of the 2.0's, not sure about the 1.8 or 1.7 throttle body.

--DD
oldschool
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 26 2010, 09:31 AM) *

TPS == Throttle Position Switch. The electrical thing that's on the throttle body.

The idle screw is on the side of the throttle body. On the left side of the 2.0's, not sure about the 1.8 or 1.7 throttle body.

--DD

So Dave how do I know if the tps is working right or out of adjustment ?
tradisrad
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...brate_17-18.jpg

Dont forget to check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifolds where they connect to the heads and plenum.
oldschool
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Apr 26 2010, 10:14 AM) *

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...brate_17-18.jpg

Dont forget to check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifolds where they connect to the heads and plenum.

Very cool man thanks, This is the first time I'm working on my ride on my own,
the guy that work on my car before, Sold his 914 website and is to busy to call back confused24.gif
Rand
If the idle slows to normal when it warms up, it's not as likely to be a vacuum leak. If the idle is correct, and only goes up after you hit the gas, that's a red flag to me that you should not mess with any idle adjustments until you are 110% sure nothing is mechanically sticking. When it's fast, go to the throttle body and see if you can rotate the butterfly back to square manually.
oldschool
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 26 2010, 10:40 AM) *

If the idle slows to normal when it warms up, it's not as likely to be a vacuum leak. If the idle is correct, and only goes up after you hit the gas, that's a red flag to me that you should not mess with any idle adjustments until you are 110% sure nothing is mechanically sticking. When it's fast, go to the throttle body and see if you can rotate the butterfly back to square manually.

yeah that's what I thought, but the butterfly does close. One more thing when i hit the throttle it sure takes its time to go back to idle? is that normal?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.