Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm Back...And Insane...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
I traded GTEENER back for the Classic Mini and got a stock(ish) 2.0 bonus car.

GTEENER is already having engine problems headbang.gif

Ah so good to be back lol-2.gif slap.gif av-943.gif
tdgray
Welcome back little one... me... still teener - less
SLITS
wub.gif Gwen
GTeener
Rumor has it there is an engine wunderkind in the Bay Area that makes house calls.
Anyone know who that is?
GTeener
Best I can tell, The oil is not circulating through the oil cooler. Question whether it's circulating at all by the 260+ oil temp from Sacramento to Vacaville. There is oil in the tank. It looks clean but above the fill dot. Car made a sputter crackle spund at one point and then never stopped puttering. Lost my power too. Kept feeling like it wasn't in the proper gear or something.
EdwardBlume
Really??

Really!! Awesome! beer.gif

Why'd you buy both though?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 26 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Rumor has it there is an engine wunderkind in the Bay Area that makes house calls.
Anyone know who that is?

You might be talking about Tom Amon, but if you need a tow to McMarks or something we can figure it out...
GTeener
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 26 2010, 12:06 PM) *

Really??

Really!! Awesome! beer.gif

Why'd you buy both though?

An offer I couldn't refuse biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
gud to see you Gwen!!
best of luck on fixing the teener!
SirAndy

Anyone know who that is?

There are a few good 911 engine guys in the Bay Area but i'm not sure about the 'house calls' ...

Jerry Woods is close to you. Not cheap but they are experts when it comes to /6 engines.
AAA will get you there.

http://www.jerrywoods.com/
http://www.smartracingproducts.com/services.htm

Ask for Rich Walton and tell him i sent you ... smile.gif

Welcome back!
bye1.gif Andy
SLITS
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 26 2010, 11:55 AM) *

Best I can tell, The oil is not circulating through the oil cooler. Question whether it's circulating at all by the 260+ oil temp from Sacramento to Vacaville. There is oil in the tank. It looks clean but above the fill dot. Car made a sputter crackle spund at one point and then never stopped puttering. Lost my power too. Kept feeling like it wasn't in the proper gear or something.

Not good sad.gif Thermostat on engine not opening? Plugged airflow thru cooler?
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

A few folks have come back this year.

Keep us posted on your 914. I'm a little worried it might have been a clogged oil cooler as well. sad.gif
GTeener
I wub.gif you guys...

I'm worried it's a clog in the oil system too.... stromberg.gif
Considered the possibility that the thermostat on the engine is not opening...
There are no obvious plugs externally on/around the front oil cooler.

How to unclog/unblock whatever it is, is THE question...

I live closest to Heyer Performance.
www.heyerperformance.com
2362 Old Middlefield Way
Mountain View, CA 94043-2475
(650) 962-0930

Next closest is High Performance House
www.highperformancehouse.com
2431 Spring Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
(650) 364-6234

I know Rich Walton @ Jerry Woods Enterprises
His boys did most of the original tune up work when I got the car home 2001-ish. And did some race mods. so I could track it.

Leamon Stansell (HEALTOE914) was the last person to do any major work on GTEENER. He installed the front oil cooler.
Ferg
Welcome Back Gwen, glad you have the old car back, hopefully it's a easy fix and you are back driving.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 26 2010, 12:08 PM) *

Anyone know who that is?

You might be talking about Tom Amon, but if you need a tow to McMarks or something we can figure it out...

Tom Amon is Mobile Works West, right?
http://www.mobileworkswest.com

Anyone here had him service their 914/6's? Recommendations? Warnings?
I like the idea of house-call work. No towing required. Very convenient.

McMark is in Napa still, right? Too far away...
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 26 2010, 01:32 PM) *

I live closest to Heyer Performance.
www.heyerperformance.com
2362 Old Middlefield Way
Mountain View, CA 94043-2475
(650) 962-0930

Next closest is High Performance House
www.highperformancehouse.com
2431 Spring Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
(650) 364-6234

I know Rich Walton @ Jerry Woods Enterprises
His boys did most of the original tune up work when I got the car home 2001-ish. And did some race mods. so I could track it.

Leamon Stansell (HEALTOE914) was the last person to do any major work on GTEENER. He installed the front oil cooler.

All good choices ... Pick one ...
biggrin.gif Andy
GTeener
I also go a recommendation for:

GD Racing (Gary Dielacher)
http://www.gdracing.com/service.htm
1169 Montgomery Ave.
San Bruno, CA 94066
650-742-9322

and

John's Mobile Engine Service
1753 Leslie Street
San Mateo, CA 94402-2409
650-574-4643
carr914
Take the oil cooler out and pour mineral spirits in it. Should breaks up clogs
GTeener
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 26 2010, 03:34 PM) *

Take the oil cooler out and pour mineral spirits in it. Should breaks up clogs

Good trick to know...assuming that it's clogged there. confused24.gif
Given the volume of measured oil (yes, while the engine was running) and the cleanliness of the measured oil, I'm thinking it might be the thermostat on the engine not opening. icon8.gif
SLITS
Gwen, 2 itsy bitsy nuts to remove the oil thermostat on the flywheel end of the engine. Hell to get at in a /6. If removed it can be suspended in a pan of water with a thermostat. Once the water gets to about 180 degrees, you should be able to see the position of the slide change.

Well, that's how I test them anyway.

Edit: Also, if he installed a front cooler and a thermostat to regulate flow to it, that thermostat could have failed. It would have been interesting to touch the front cooler core when the temps soared to see if it was warm / hot.
john grier
Welcome back Gwen cheer.gif
That car is yours and always will be. w00t.gif
You did not need no stinking mini. shades.gif
John
rick 918-S
Welcome back Gwen! Got any 914Gurl hats left? Sandy wears hers all the time. She may like a fresh new one if you have any. Sorry to hear abou the engine trouble. That sux!

But your back just in time. We should be running another all gurl COTM soon!
GTeener
QUOTE(john grier @ Apr 26 2010, 04:58 PM) *

Welcome back Gwen cheer.gif
That car is yours and always will be. w00t.gif
You did not need no stinking mini. shades.gif
John

Thanks John beerchug.gif
I *might* need a new MINI some day, but I now realize that I don't need a classic Mini. "Lived it" for a year and that was enough biggrin.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 26 2010, 05:06 PM) *

Welcome back Gwen! Got any 914Gurl hats left? Sandy wears hers all the time. She may like a fresh new one if you have any. Sorry to hear abou the engine trouble. That sux!

But your back just in time. We should be running another all gurl COTM soon!

No, 914 Gurl hats sold out years ago. LOL! glad Sandy still wub.gif hers biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
I'm Back...And Insane...

Ummmm, what's changed? lol-2.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(Rico Suave @ Apr 26 2010, 05:57 PM) *

I'm Back...And Insane...

Ummmm, what's changed? lol-2.gif

I used to be just crazy until I got a 2nd 914.
dancinnanner.gif prop.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'm betting a bad engine thermostat. I had a customer with the same symptoms, it was a bad engine t stat.
ConeDodger
You got him to trade back???
Dave_Darling
Gwen, MWW/Tom Amon was the name I was trying to think of earlier and failing. I know some people like him--I'm not so convinced. Lisa is still not completely happy with the transmission he built for her car.

Tony at Heyer Performance is really good. He used to be one of the Garretson's crew Back When, working for Bruce Anderson and Bob Garretson. He was one of the "pro" mechanics on their 935 racing effort. He was my mechanic for many years, and I have taken Lisa's car to him as well. If he's close to where the car is, that sounds like a no-brainer to me.

--DD
GTeener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 26 2010, 11:42 PM) *

Gwen, MWW/Tom Amon was the name I was trying to think of earlier and failing. I know some people like him--I'm not so convinced. Lisa is still not completely happy with the transmission he built for her car.

Tony at Heyer Performance is really good. He used to be one of the Garretson's crew Back When, working for Bruce Anderson and Bob Garretson. He was one of the "pro" mechanics on their 935 racing effort. He was my mechanic for many years, and I have taken Lisa's car to him as well. If he's close to where the car is, that sounds like a no-brainer to me.

--DD

Thanks DD for the Amon feedback.
I'll contact Tony. He does seem to know his stuff.
He's got such an "Eeyore" attitude about working on my 914 though (maybe all 914's I don't know...). The one time he worked on my car he made the comment "Buy a Miata it's cheaper and easier to fix."
huh.gif dry.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 26 2010, 07:39 PM) *

You got him to trade back???

Rob,
It was HIS idea. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
What? Miatas are cheaper and easier to fix? hissyfit.gif Dang it! hissyfit.gif

I think everyone is going to have pro / con stories.... I think it really comes down to location, location, location..

How's Dad?
GTeener
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 27 2010, 11:52 AM) *

What? Miatas are cheaper and easier to fix? hissyfit.gif Dang it! hissyfit.gif

I think everyone is going to have pro / con stories.... I think it really comes down to location, location, location..

How's Dad?

Heyer Performance is hands down the closest.

Dad's good, thanks.
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 27 2010, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 26 2010, 11:42 PM) *

--DD

Thanks DD for the Amon feedback.
I'll contact Tony. He does seem to know his stuff.
He's got such an "Eeyore" attitude about working on my 914 though (maybe all 914's I don't know...). The one time he worked on my car he made the comment "Buy a Miata it's cheaper and easier to fix."
huh.gif dry.gif

OK, Dave, it's official, Tony took offense, the one and only time he serviced my car, to me shopping around his recommendation and the cost to install the front oil cooler. He really doesn't like working on 914 conversions. I told him that he could say "no, he didn't want to work on my car" but he said everything but confused24.gif
Maybe I should take it to Bontempi @ High Performance House. At least he's got every 914 part in existence squirreled away at his shop. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.