Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914World iPhone App
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
poke.gif ATTENTION SW developer 914 enthusiasts:

pray.gif I'd like an iPhone app for this forum please.

Just copy the FaceBook app biggrin.gif
stepuptotheMike
Works fine on my Droid....... biggrin.gif

GTeener
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Apr 26 2010, 02:35 PM) *

No you don't understand.

I can use the site on the iPhone Safari browser but the FB app is so much easier to use on the go rather than through the mobile web browser.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 26 2010, 02:38 PM) *

No you don't understand.

I can use the site on the iPhone Safari browser but the FB app is so much easier to use on the go rather than through the mobile web browser.

That would be a huge undertaking ...

It would be a LOT easier to simply come up with a mobile optimized version of the forum.
Basically, just a 'skin' that is optimized for mobile use.

Anything beyond that is well outside of my spare time allotment ...
shades.gif Andy
GTeener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2010, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 26 2010, 02:38 PM) *

No you don't understand.

That would be a huge undertaking ...

It would be a LOT easier to simply come up with a mobile optimized version of the forum.
Basically, just a 'skin' that is optimized for mobile use.

Anything beyond that is well outside of my spare time allotment ...
shades.gif Andy

Nothing super fancy. A simpler way to read & post to the forum and post picture.

Doesn't have to be you doing the work, Andy. Does it?
Anyway, what do I know? I just write the instructions for using SW already developed biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 26 2010, 02:59 PM) *

A simpler way to read & post to the forum and post picture.

Which could easily be done with a mobile optimized skin of the current forum software.

Writing a iPhone App for 914world would be 100x the time needed than building a mobile friendly skin for the existing forum software.

Anyway, what do I know? I just write software for a living ...
shades.gif Andy
BigDBass
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2010, 04:44 PM) *

a mobile optimized version of the forum.
shades.gif Andy
My Palm Pre says it would like a mobile version! assimilate.gif
GTeener
pray.gif Sure. Whatever...
type.gif Doesn't have to be iPhone specific.
Just more mobile-friendly call me.gif
campbellcj
There are already some iPhone/mobile skins for Invision:

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sour...er+board+iphone

Pelican runs on a different board IIRC but their mobile skin is very clean and speedy.
Chris Pincetich
I work for a non-profit and we want an iPhone App too.
http://www.seaturtles.org
BUT we were advised that a HTML 5 site would be better = optimized for all mobile devices.
Andy - I will bug you about this Saturday to learn more about what is best for the future of mini-internet users.
beerchug.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 26 2010, 08:39 PM) *

There are already some iPhone/mobile skins for Invision:

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sour...er+board+iphone

Pelican runs on a different board IIRC but their mobile skin is very clean and speedy.

clubNARP is run by Invision.

Just change your user settings under the control panel. Turn off avatars, limit the number of posts per page, thumbnail photos only, delete signatures, etc. It should run fine. I did this before the current generation of smart phones to speed up download times.
VaccaRabite
I was jonsing for an app for the World tonight as well, so that I did not have to come back in from the garage to ask questions.

I guess I am surprised the Invision does not have a mobile app. What would be required to implement the super lo-fi mobile skin they made?

Zach
ws91420
I use the safari browser on my i phone w/o a problem. Zoom in and out when I need to.
gopack
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 26 2010, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2010, 04:44 PM) *

a mobile optimized version of the forum.
shades.gif Andy
My Palm Pre says it would like a mobile version! assimilate.gif

I think I NEED a Pre how do you like it?
agentblr
QUOTE(ws91420 @ May 25 2010, 05:00 PM) *

I use the safari browser on my i phone w/o a problem. Zoom in and out when I need to.

agree.gif Thats what I do biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Just be on the Garage page (or whatever page you like), click the + sign, and add to your home screen, give it the name you want, and BINGO, App.on your home screen. Isn't this all you want? An instant link to World? If you want it do do something else, better ask the pros. type.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(agentblr @ May 25 2010, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ws91420 @ May 25 2010, 05:00 PM) *

agree.gif Thats what I do biggrin.gif

I do as well, but it is kinda painful. especially if you have PMs to read or write. Its enough of a pain that I won't check the site from my iPhone unless I am REALLY bored. I had it with me in the garage this evening, but still came in to get on the computer rather then try and check it on my phone.

Zach
BigDBass
QUOTE(gopack @ May 25 2010, 08:03 PM) *

I like my Pre a lot. My only complaint is battery life. Not super sturdy either; don't drop it then accidently punt it while trying to cushion the fall with your foot or it could cause issues with the power/sleep button. Don't ask me how I know. sad.gif

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 25 2010, 10:24 PM) *
I do as well, but it is kinda painful. especially if you have PMs to read or write. Its enough of a pain that I won't check the site from my iPhone unless I am REALLY bored. I had it with me in the garage this evening, but still came in to get on the computer rather then try and check it on my phone.
Zach

The mobile friendly change I would most appreciate would be a larger "new post" graphic, cuz this one IPB Image is damn hard to tap on a touch screen phone!
BigDBass
Here's a 16x16 version of the newpost.gif: Click to view attachment
I think the original 8x8 gif could be replaced with this, which would greatly help mobile phone users without negatively affecting other browsers.
mipstien
http://tapatalk.com/
assuming everything is compatible its a nifty little app.
use opera mobile if you want fast browsing.
and like he was saying android runs this forum perfect. ive seen the safari browser and its not as smooth as Xscope or dolphin browser for android. i never have to pinch to zoom its almost as if its already APP'd because it doesn't require any resizing. but i also like tiny text i love my screen real-estate.
Rand
QUOTE(gopack @ May 25 2010, 06:03 PM) *

Palm is going down in flames and hoping someone buys them out. I sure wouldn't go there when there are other choices with strong futures and multitudes more apps.
stirthepot.gif

There are WAP plugins for IPB. I haven't tested any, but if they are good that would be an efficient technology to optimize the site for all mobile platforms without having to develop an app for each.
flipb
QUOTE(Rand @ May 27 2010, 02:16 PM) *

Palm is going down in flames and hoping someone buys them out. I sure wouldn't go there when there are other choices with strong futures and multitudes more apps.
stirthepot.gif

That plan seems to have worked out for them.

HP to buy Palm
Rand
QUOTE(flipb @ May 27 2010, 06:28 PM) *
That plan seems to have worked out for them. HP to buy Palm

Hah, yeah I heard some speculation about it being for the purpose of counter-protection from copyright infringement lawsuits. Have to wonder since there's no profit in the product line anymore. Interesting stuff.
bandjoey
When on Garage or Thread page, double touch the Iphone screen and it'll expand to fill the screen automatically. I don't have any problem with World on my phone. With the 3gs keypad, I can type pretty darn (for you Alaska folks) fast. type.gif
76-914
Well here's a neat little existing IPhone app that is quasi 914 related. It's called Dashboard. It's free, shows the usual stuff; speed, timer, heading, distance and even alt but what's neat is it has a flip feature which gives you a HUD. Just select the HUD option, place it on your dash (at night) and kill the dash lites. This only works well where you don't encounter lot's of other cars. So socal is out. lol-2.gif Anyone else know of some existing 914 appropriate apps?
VaccaRabite
Taptalk looks like it may be the ticket. It is used on one of the other fourms that I frequent and folks there seem to like it.

Could it be implemented here?

Zach
zonedoubt
I'd say an Android app before Apple. Android recently overtook Apple in the smartphone market.
mipstien
The biggest thing is every carrier has android now.
McMark
Android recently overtook Apple in the smartphone market.

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.