Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need advice on buying a covered trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mary Shortridge
I want to get a covered trailer for hauling Buttercup around to tell her AMAZING story. I am SOOOOOOO frustrated talking to trailer salespeople. They want to sell me what they have on their lot. I want them to listen to my needs, which are as follows:
914 weighs 2300 pounds
My car will tow 5000 pounds, so I want a lightweight trailer
I would like to have it be a low profile, less than 68", the height of my car that will pull the trailer
A v-nose would be nice to help with wind (We have a LOT of that around here)
I would like a side door to make accessibility easier
A friend suggested a clamshell, like this
http://www.montrosetrailers.com/gallery/au...OW_PROFILE_AUTO
I need a simple system for tying the 914 down, as I will often be by myself, and I have never dealt with a trailer before... this is a whole new deal for me.
I was told there are net-type wraps for the wheels.
ANY advice/help would be GREATLY appreciated, to save me from making a poor choice. (or losing my mind dealing with unhelpful trailer salespeople)
Thanks a million!!!
URY914
Trailers are built in standard heights and anything different would cost you money. If the locals don't want to listen to you go right to the factory. Hallmark, Wells Cargo, Pace etc. Go to Racingjunk.com and look at the trailers on there for sale there. They have hundreds new and used.
EdwardBlume
What is the tow vehicle? If you only want to tow 5,000 lbs, then your tow vehicle may be less weight than what you are towing.. this can be scary...

With the 914 plus the trailer weight, you are probably around 4,200 lbs... with the tongue you are looking at 20-21 feet..

1.5 yrs ago when I was looking, the cost in CA for a 16 ft plus a side door new was about $4500 - $5000 no add ons. Used was still up there at $3500-4000.

Tie downs can be achieved using D rings and I'd recommend adding tow loops to Buttercup to make it easy....

The good with enclosed is that they tend to hold their value, the con is the cost and the extra weight...

Good luck!
jt914-6
Mary....This may not be what you want to hear, but you might consider getting another tow vehicle. Trying to find a enclosed trailer that weighs 2700 lbs (car-2300 + 2700 = total of what you said you could tow) is asking alot. That's not including luggage, tools, ect. What is the total towing rating on what you have? A decent 3/4 ton truck should tow anything you want to tow.
I'm using a Ford F-250 crew cab diesel. I have a 24' enclosed trailer. Loaded with my car, extra set of wheels/tires, tools, tool boxes, and spare parts I am not overloading my rating. Plus with the 24' trailer I have plenty of room for all that I need to take to the track.... Back in the day, I used to tow my 914-6 on a flat bed open trailer as far as 600+ miles one way loaded with spare wheels/tires, tools, luggage, a companion, ect. with a Toyota 4X4. Probably way over the towing rating for the truck. The trailer did have brakes on one axle which helped but, I wouldn't do it again today....My $.02....

Click to view attachment
Van914
Check out Trailex. Not cheep.

http://www.trailex.com/enclosed_sports_car_trailers.cfm
mepstein
QUOTE(Van914 @ Apr 27 2010, 06:24 PM) *

My friends red cobra race car is pictured in their ad. He uses a Chevy avalanche with a big v8 to tow. Not only to handle the weight (car is only 1500lbs) but to keep in control when wind gusts from side. Not going to be able to pull a trailer like that with a subie wagon.
Mary Shortridge
I REALLY appreciate all your help and advice.
I have never pulled a trailer, so I really want to keep it small and manageable for me. 24' sounds huge to me. When I went to get Buttercup from Nebraska ( I used Ron's tahoe...) I hauled a 17' flat trailer, but I did not tow it home with the car. Lee's friends did that.
Ron has a v-8 Tahoe that is rated for 5000 lbs. My new MDX is rated for 5000 pounds, and weighs 4600. I figured I would get a trailer with brakes. Is that the concern, RobW, with the weight of the tow vehicle being less than the trailer?
I'll keep reading...

URY914
Think about an open trailer. They are lighter and less effected by side winds.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 28 2010, 10:39 AM) *

Think about an open trailer. They are lighter and less effected by side winds.

So how do I protect Buttercup from flying rocks, bird crap, etc? I figured a fabric cover would beat on the paint...
Jakeodoule
Here ya go.
All aluminum 1950 curb weight. Less if you order it shorter in height.
You'll need ramps though as the back door/ramp would be too steep.
But it would be the lightest enclosed trailer you can get.
Also tricky to get in/out of your teener when its in the trailer. But I'll take that trade off for less trailer and less weight.

http://paceamerican.com/trailers/silverarr...o/tag/#specInfo

Here's the short height you wanted. A little heavier cause the frame is steel.
http://paceamerican.com/trailers/legacy/tag/#specInfo

I just researched these for hauling my bikes OR my teener.

All aluminum are not cheap. But with fuel costs these days I believe you would recoup the extra money spent pretty quick if you use it a lot.

Flat bed is the cheapest way to go. I have had mine on a 6x12 and it works fine. I would be sure to get the dual axle though.
My two cents.
Van914
I pull my 914 with an open Trailex with my 2006 MDX. If you fear rocks get a front fairing for it. Trailer weighs about 950lbs car about 2300. MDX rated 3500 trailer or 4500 Boat Trailer. I can run 70- 75 mph all day on Flat Ground. Hills are a little slower. Tracks straight and true.
Great trailers to have.
Van914
URY914
Are you worried about rocks and bird carp when you drive the car on the street? There are probably less rocks hitting your car on a trailer. As for bird crap, thats why they make paper towels....
dakotaewing
Would not another option for Mary be a where she attaches a tow hook/bar directly to the front of Buttercup? Wasn't David Lee Manufacturing these?
This might be a good option considering her tow vehicle is the MDX...
I am not saying this is the best solution, but just an alternative...
6freak
I love my 24 foot inclosed,and so does my car ..not only does it keep rock chips and bird poop off the car ,but also the UV damaging rays and the rain,The car pretty much stays in the trailer when i`m not using it and that leaves my shop open for other toys.....trailEX makes a real nice low profile covered trailer with a big side door for getting in and out....and would be well within your MDX` towing capacity.......Paper towels will scratch the paint! just say`n...
Mary Shortridge
[quote name='URY914' date='Apr 29 2010, 07:40 AM' post='1310871']
Are you worried about rocks and bird carp when you drive the car on the street?

Yes! I am VERY protective of Buttercup! She is a very special little car.... biggrin.gif

jt914-6
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 29 2010, 08:24 AM) *

I love my 24 foot inclosed,and so does my car ..not only does it keep rock chips and bird poop off the car ,but also the UV damaging rays and the rain,The car pretty much stays in the trailer when i`m not using it and that leaves my shop open for other toys.....trailEX makes a real nice low profile covered trailer with a big side door for getting in and out....and would be well within your MDX` towing capacity.......Paper towels will scratch the paint! just say`n...

Not to mention prying eyes and vandals while at motels overnight and rain encountered along the way..... biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
I'd contact the manufactures. Another great use for the trailer is a storage place when your not driving the car. One less garage stall needed.
Root_Werks
You have to buy the right kind of trailer for a 914:
jt914-6
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 29 2010, 10:04 AM) *

You have to buy the right kind of trailer for a 914:

Thanks for the photoshop of my trailer.....it looks more like it's for a rail dragster... smash.gif
EdwardBlume
where's the guy yelling " da plane, da plane..." ?
Sleepin
Those aren't A/C's on the top, those are hatches to get out of the trailer once the 914 is parked (don't pull it in there with the top on, you will be SOL). wink.gif
hot_shoe914
Trailer? You don't need no stinkin' trailer! DRIVE that car woman. It is what it was made for! driving-girl.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 29 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Trailer? You don't need no stinkin' trailer! DRIVE that car woman. It is what it was made for! driving-girl.gif

agree.gif somebody had to say it. smile.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 29 2010, 10:03 PM) *

This body doesn't "do" 2000 miles in a 914, like yours does! Do you want me to be able to stand up and walk when I get to TN???
Randal

A good friend just bought one of these:

http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scree...de=car_trailers

Very nice.

I also like that corrugated metal enclosure they build for the open aluminum trailer. That makes sense, is easy to get open and keeps the car dry. Wonder what they charge for one of those?

Oh the other thing to look for in a trailer is a mechanism to totally remove the fender on the drivers side. Unless you like trying to squeese out of the door every time you put your car on the trailer.
jt914-6
Mary....A friend has this trailer for their autox car (944). It looks light weight and homemade....It stands about 6' tall from the ground.....I can find out more about it or give you their phone number is you want some info on it....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.