Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are YOU doing to prepair for WCR 2010?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
What are you guys doing to prepare your car for WCR2010 in Tahoe? Its pretty close now...

The following is what im doing to my 98 A4 Audi which will be my drive.

Resurfaced rotors/ Halk HPS brake pads **Rotors done 5-2, Finished 5-5
Replace trani with good spare (blew out my syncro's from 1st gear awd burnouts..) **Done 5-2
Replace throwout bearing (current one squeaks) **Done 5-1
Nut and bolt underside. ** Done 5-4
Top off leaky rear diff. ** Done 5-3
Replace faulty stage 3 ecu
Redo oil coolant feed line to turbo.
Wash it (only been 4 months, hehe, i love daily drivers...)
Mount up camera mount.
Replace Broken Caliper ** Done 5-5

Whats on your list?
Eric_Shea
What are YOU doing to prepair for WCR 2010?

Standing outside the house in my driveway with a cooler drinking until 2:00AM. Neighbors and family think I'm nuts. Only the few and the proud here can relate. drunk.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2010, 01:34 PM) *

Standing outside the house in my driveway with a cooler drinking until 2:00AM.

Ah, still so much to learn, grasshopper! biggrin.gif

A folding chair with cup-holders and a parasol is the only way to go ...
drunk.gif Andy

PS: Besides that, i think i'm going to clean my 914 a bit before the WCR. She's been sitting outside all "winter". Maybe an oil-change.
Mike Bellis
I fixed my horn and fog lights. Put new tires on the rear, didn't think the DOT legal slicks were the best to take to the mountains. If I fix the reverse lights, 100% of my car will be funcional ready for WCR. I even put the windshield wipers on! aktion035.gif
biosurfer1
Installing a bellcrank linkage so I can properly tune the engine since my hexbar was crap, then give it a bath and oil change...almost there!
toon1
trying to get the car back together after almost 1.5yrs of doing the body work and paint
SLITS

What are YOU doing to prepair for WCR 2010?

Standing outside the house in my driveway with a cooler drinking until 2:00AM. Neighbors and family think I'm nuts. Only the few and the proud here can relate. drunk.gif

Can I have an AMEN?

Oh wait, you don't do shit like that.

Blow the horn Max.
TROJANMAN
I don't normally prep my air, I just turn on the compressor.
GTeener
Praying I didn't break the engine driving from Fair Oaks Sunday afternoon. icon8.gif

Hope Jerry Woods Enterprises' boys can figure out and fix GTEENER's engine/oil circulation problem in time to drive her up for the fun.
confused24.gif idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 27 2010, 12:43 PM) *

Standing outside the house in my driveway with a cooler drinking until 2:00AM.

Ah, still so much to learn, grasshopper! biggrin.gif

A folding chair with cup-holders and a parasol is the only way to go ...
drunk.gif Andy

PS: Besides that, i think i'm going to clean my 914 a bit before the WCR. She's been sitting outside all "winter". Maybe an oil-change.

Why Andy? She still has oil in her right? poke.gif
JRust
Not necesarily in this order blink.gif

Yes those are my NOS SS HE I got from Bruce drooley.gif
orange914
i've been sittin' on the sidelines, watching all the WCR threads and wishing our lives weren't so busy right now. BUT...

i was thinking since we've met so many of you guys over the last years, maybe you all could push kenny to take a work day off to drive up with the caravan. i know he'd love to take the new motor out for a good drive. we just haven't thought we could all make it because of everthing going on.

so heres my pitch dry.gif piratenanner.gif both you andy's, keith, jon, computors4kids (sorry don't know your name yet, but we've talked!) heres kenny's cell # (209-581-3233)-talk him into at least running up there with you guys driving.gif stirthepot.gif

next year........ beerchug.gif i've only been trying since the 07 WRC when the old motor dropped a valve seat the night before laugh.gif

mike
Michael N
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 27 2010, 07:36 PM) *

Not necesarily in this order blink.gif

Yes those are my NOS SS HE I got from Bruce drooley.gif

Jamie,

That car is looking great!
Dr Evil
Flying into PDX, fixing Jakeodoule's gear box issues, driving out that or the next day. smile.gif

I already keep weird hours and have the constitution to hang with the drink.
computers4kids
Kenny,
If you decide to take off work, I will be heading up Thursday morning in time to connect hopefully with the carvan. I'm still deciding if I'm going to tow or not, but if your interested we would love to have you join us.
Mark
orange914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 27 2010, 09:07 PM) *

Kenny,
If you decide to take off work, I will be heading up Thursday morning in time to connect hopefully with the carvan. I'm still deciding if I'm going to tow or not, but if your interested we would love to have you join us.
Mark

thanks mark, i'll let kenny know when he gets home from work

are you coming up I-5 or 99 & where do you plan on catching the caravan? what about you andyrew?

mike
ConeDodger
I might change the oil. But other than that and some clean up she is ready and steady... I will be trailering because Yopu says that is what I want to do... blink.gif
computers4kids
Mike,
I'll be coming-up 99 and right through Ceres and then breaking off before Sacramento to connect with the caravan. If I go up into Sac it would add 45 more minutes to the drive. Point B on my map is the same as point G on the one posted for the bay area guys. I'm open but...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 27 2010, 09:48 PM) *

Mike,
I'll be coming-up 99 and right through Ceres and then breaking off before Sacramento to connect with the caravan. If I go up into Sac it would add 45 more minutes to the drive. Point B on my map is the same as point G on the one posted for the bay area guys. I'm open but...

I'm guessing we will be at that point between 12-1pm
Andyrew
QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 27 2010, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 27 2010, 09:07 PM) *

Kenny,
Mark

thanks mark, i'll let kenny know when he gets home from work

are you coming up I-5 or 99 & where do you plan on catching the caravan? what about you andyrew?

mike

Mike,

I'll be joining mark and the rest of the caravan in Sac.

Kenny could join us to the trip to sac's caravan!
orange914
mark, andyrew

(kenny is at work right now-why i've been responding 4 him) he hasn't found anyone to switch days yet confused24.gif he is excited about the possibility though.

if you'd like to stop by ceres on the way up for a stretch your more than welcome, no matter what works out with kenny.

mike
RoadGlue
Oh man...

Car took itself on a joy ride back in January and hit a small wall:
IPB Image

The exhaust got hit and it broke exhaust studs and the supports on one head:
IPB Image

Of course it took the muffler, SSI heat exchangers and bumper with it too.

Finally got around to pulling the motor and head two weeks ago. Went on vacation for a week, got back Monday and my friend/machinist had fixed the head:
IPB Image (ignore the spec on the exhaust port - just dust or something)

Spent the last three days putting everything back together:
IPB Image

Mmmm, extra grimy:
IPB Image

More in a sec...

RoadGlue
Long story short(er), got her on the road today for the first time in four months:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelrandy/4561466727/

Yay! Mark DeBernardi and I are going to spend a little time working on the body tomorrow.

After that, need to have new tires installed (have 'em here on the shelf) and then do a little suspension work. That's it... I hope. smile.gif
Justinp71
I'm putting on new front wheel bearing to hopefully get rid of my tire shake...
PRS914-6
I'm going to take the cover off...... happy11.gif
jeeperjohn56
I still need to finish door panels install rocker guards and seats getting close and check a few other things, change oil alot more but other things can wait to change. windshield installed trim needs to be put on, wipers> I better get busy. John
Rand
Andyrew, what are you doing to prepare a 914 for WCR? tongue.gif I will look forward to seeing your Audiworld car. WCAWR?
Just teasin' ya man. Equally wishing you were bringing a 914. And I know (context given) many of us would rather see your 914-8 than an Audi.
Ok ok, all teasing aside.

Andyrew
I would LOVE to bring my 914 to it, but multiple reasons prevent me from taking it, the main reason is reliability, I just dont feel happy enough with the reliability of the v8(in terms of the cooling), the trani( in combination with the v8) and the CV's.
I will be more than able to keep up with you all in the twisties in my Audi smile.gif. 1.04G's on street tires, 255AWHP, and brand new hawk HPS pads on my drilled and slotted rotors..

Mike,
I'll give kenny a call later today and talk with him about it. smile.gif
Andyrew
Progress so far:

Broke an extension in my lug nut and took 2 hours to get i out.. However..

Removed the rotors, Found a new best mechanic friend that has a brake lathe and he can turn my drilled and slotted rotors for me. I'll be giving him my rotors later on today.
Removed my front CV's, My Driveshaft, Exhaust, Trani stabilizer bar, and some other random stuff for the trani. All I have left is to remove the bolts that hold the trani and then physically remove it!

I'll have the old trani out today, new one in an possibly it all buttoned up, probably not though.
Andyrew
New trani is in. Not all buttoned up, but the CV's are done. Exhaust, Linkage, Driveshaft are left to do on the trani swap.

Turned the rotors, Took off more than I was hoping, my drilled and sloted rotors are now pretty much just drilled smile.gif

How did you guys all do?
proto31
I went auto cross racing this weekend in preparation. I just got my car on the road a week or so ago and felt that a nice healthy AX would help shake anything loose that would have come off on my drive to Tahoe. Everything went well, nothing broke or fell off biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Trani is done, Brakes are done, Rear end is full, Bottom is buttoned up.
Think we broke the left rear caliper trying to get it back in... (stupid parking brakes) we used our regular twist caliper tool but apparently it had to compress at the same time... So we ended up using a c clamp and twisting the piston at the same time... Worked good, but I think dad went a little crazy trying to get the piston in by himself so im pretty sure that caliper is shot... Oh and its dragging to... yay...

So im going to order a rebuilt caliper and replace it. yay.

Andyrew
Rebuilt caliper ordered @ lunch, came in @ 5pm! Autozone works pretty well. Replaced caliper and blead it in about 20 minutes!!! single piston calipers are ridiculously easy to replace..

Waiting for oil line and ECU to come in. Should be tomorrow!

Getting down to the wire, how are you all doing?
biosurfer1
Great...Justin helped me tune my carbs are they are purrrrring like they should. Once I get a new throttle mount in there, I'll be good to go
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.