Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rubber brake lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
are braided that are DOT ok for street?

i know some tires are DOT but are for race only.

jim

attached is a sample of a brake line cross section that isn't gunked up.
6freak
I would say yes ...
Root_Werks
I have yet to see any braided SS brake line installed correctly in my life. This includes the ones installed on my current 914. I will replace them with factory rubber lines soon.

If you don't pre-load the braided lines, the metal fibers will fatigue and break. That's the only source of the lines not busting through.

SS braided lines IMO are for track cars where they get replaced and checked often. Rubber lines are install and forget.
tat2dphreak
SS braided lines IMO are for track cars where they get replaced and checked often. Rubber lines are install and forget.

agree.gif I had the front brakes lock up on my first teener because I thought the braided lines the DAPO installed were good... they were the DOT approved braided lines, but they locked up on me... go rubber.
jimkelly
ok - i will use rubber biggrin.gif

thanks confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
dwillouby
I have had braided lines on my car for almost 10 years. No problems.(Yet)
David
Tom_T
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 28 2010, 05:34 AM) *

are braided that are DOT ok for street?

i know some tires are DOT but are for race only.

jim

attached is a sample of a brake line cross section that isn't gunked up.

Jim & FYI All -

Whenever an auto part/product is marked as DOT Approved, then it's legal & okay for street legal use in the USA, whether brake lines, tires, headlights, etc.

It means it's met the US Dept of Transportation's standards & regulations in effect at the time the part was produced, but doesn't speak to their reliability nor "freshness" since they could be older NOS parts & degraded by age &/or superceded by newer & more stringent standards/regs.
Smitty911
One thing to be careful about with the braided lines is - Torsion. They don't like to be twisted at all.

I tested the Front Landing Gear Wiring Harness of the new Composit Airliner and the clocking of the connectors played a signifcant role how many cycles the landing gear could cycle without frayed S/S.

Smitty
IronHillRestorations
Rubber brake lines are the only way to go. They've worked on our cars for years. Advertising hype and bling factor may make the stainless braid lines seem more apealing, but the stock rubber lines will last you a long time without problems.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Apr 29 2010, 09:16 AM) *

One thing to be careful about with the braided lines is - Torsion. They don't like to be twisted at all.
Smitty

That's why you pre-load them when installed and why they belong on track cars only that are inspected often.

As I've said before, never in my 20+ years wrenching on VW's and Porsche's have I ever seen a properly installed set of SS brake lines including the 914 I recently purchased.

Installed properly and inspected 4 times I year, sure, you could get away with running them on a driver. But the benny of a slightly stiffer pedal isn't worth all that extra worry and work.

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.