Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front suspension 5-lug conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
So I was looking at the Parts diagram online for the 70-73 911 suspension and notice that it calls out an o-ring and a spacer (items 28, 29), is this a requiment? my car was converted by the previous owner and I do not believe I have these parts on mine...

btw... these are now available on pelicanparts...
Eric_Shea
Yes. They fit inside the wheel seal and prevent H2O etc. from entering your bearings.
914Sixer
Most used struts you buy will have them on there. Only need on new ones.
Justinp71
Ok pulled it apart, looks like its pressed on there? or atleast needs a little force to come off...

Eric_Shea
Looks like you have them so... you're good to go.
veltror
I assume if I want to powder coat my struts i will need to take these off and replace the o-ring, probably not easy to get it back on the strut....
914Sixer
Yes, they are press fitted.
Eric_Shea
I assume if I want to powder coat my struts i will need to take these off and replace the o-ring, probably not easy to get it back on the strut....

I wouldn't worry about them or the o-ring. Have the powder-coater just tape them off. As Mark stated, they're pressed on there and they're pressed on there pretty good.

Honestly, I've taken a number of them off (MAPP torch and tap them off) and, I've never seen or seen a groove for an o-ring. If I recall, there may have been a paper gasket type material under there but, that could be my failing memory. Those factory parts fiches have funny names for a lot of those things. I'm almost certain it's a thin piece pf paper.

If they're on there, I'd just leave them and tape them off. They slide into the wheel seal making it a nice clean environment in there and that's about it.
Richard Casto
I pulled the spacer/sleeve off before I powder coated mine. For me it came off pretty easily with a puller (I think it was a two jaw puller). On mine the o-ring was brittle and needed to be replaced in my opinion. I don't think there is a groove in the strut/axle, but rather a bevel in the edge of the spacer/sleeve that leaves space for the o-ring. Having the right tools makes this job easy.

For me it was easy to do, the o-ring was pretty cheap and I am glad I did it.
strawman
agree.gif Did the same on mine -- pressed off the spacers & o-rings, and replaced with new ones from ERP (after powder coating the strut housings). The o-rings were pretty far gone...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.