Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal/flasher issues Please Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
schuh1129
The electrical gremlins are getting the best of me. What is happening is that when I turn on the car the red flasher lights begin to flash. When I pull out the hazard switch the blinking on the dashboard goes out and a buzzer sound happens. The flashers are not working at the front or the back either way. Sounds to me like I have something switched but I was not able to locate anything to switch. I have checked all of the fuses and those seem to be fine. I have also replace the round black relays on the fuse with good ones to see if this could be the problem, it wasn't. My turn signals work all the way around, although they do not "click" unless the turn signal switch is held 1/2 way down. I do not have wipers at this time?????? I swiched the motor out, had the wipers working and now they don't. I replaced both the turn signal switch lever and the wiper switch lever on the steering column hoping this might help, but it didn't! Sorry for the frustrated ramble but I wanted to give as much information as possible....can anybody give a suggestion as to where I can start/continue from here.... Thanks Mike
jt914-6
What year is your car? Although they all work about the same there are some differences through the years. Second, have you replaced/checked the flasher relay? It should be a square relay on the fuse panel. It has a plastic cover and not metal. At least the one's I'm used to working with. I would try that next. It is different than the round ones. Check all sockets for corrosion and correct bulbs. Check the grounds for the lights and all grounding points on the body. Hope this helps....
schuh1129
My car is a 72 1.7L I did pull the flasher relay out and cleaned up the contact points, although this didn't seem to effect anything...can these slowly go over time...would it be a good thing to replace anyway? I will take your suggestions and hit the garage again tomorrow night. Mike
jt914-6
Yes, the flasher relay, others also, can go bad over time. I had a flasher relay that needed a bit of solder where it had seperated. Pull the cover off and look for such a situation or discoloring. A bad ground can also ruin a relay by over heating it. Maybe you can borrow a known good flasher relay and try it. But, check all grounds, sockets, and bulbs. Replace any old or corroded bulbs, they are cheap...
jt914-6
This is not really related to your problem though it was a weird one to me. Pcar916 and I had the same problem.... On a '74 chassis. Four way flashers work, european parking feature worked (igniton off/key out) the turn signal lever down and that side parking light bulbs stay on, NO turn signals...to fix the problem of no turn signals we simply swapped the turn signal wires in the plastic part of the switch with the european parking feature wires.....problem solved...we now have turn signals, but no european parking feature....cheaper than a new switch, but I'm not so sure a new switch would have fixed both. I'll gladly swap working turn signals for no european parking feature!!!! Has anyone else out there had/have this problem? If you have the same symptoms, try swapping the wires in the switch and it may fix your problem too..... biggrin.gif
schuh1129
I have looked up turn signal/flasher relays and have found some on ebay... the range only goes up to 71..... just wondering if anyone has used it for a 72? I will keep on looking mayby I can find differnt ones with the right year range. Sure seems like a universal part that covers alot of years can't see why they would have changed this part mid production when they were using it on other models much longer. Mike
jt914-6
The turn signal relay is/should be the same for ALL year model 914's......I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong....but I'm sure I'm right......
schuh1129
jt914-6, you have been so helpful, thank you for helping me out! Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction. Mike

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 29 2010, 05:42 AM) *

The turn signal relay is/should be the same for ALL year model 914's......I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong....but I'm sure I'm right......

jt914-6
You're welcome....that's what this site is all about. If you have a problem, chances are that some else has had the same problem and has figured out a way to fix it.
I've been driving/working on 914's for 36 years. Was once a mechanic at a Porsche/Audi/Benz dealership.
Now, that said....vote for # 4 in the COTM going on now....... KMA.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.