Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outside mirror solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jt914-6
Years ago when I began to think about how I wanted to build my car I thought I'd put a outside mirror on the driver's door. Although I didn't want to mount it on the door. I use a five panel "wink" mirror and for street use really don't need one on the outside. Well....the first time I did a DE I found out that my helment blocked the view on the left side of the car. Fear of side-swiping someone on the track (no passing until motioned to) I did what I had thought about years ago.

1/8" lexan with a Vitaloni mirror mounted to it in the "wing" glass. 1/8" is all my local glass house had in stock. I had a 1/4" piece already, but it was a bit too wide for the rubber. They said that 3/16" was available, but they would have to order it. I was in a hurry to get it installed as I have a DE this weekend. The 1/8 fit just fine and maybe I'll have to seal it with some liquid butyl/silicone, won't know that until I have it out in the rain.....A good feature is I can change it back to the stock glass in about five minutes. Two phillips screws in the top cap and out it comes and in with the other.....easy....

Feedback welcome.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Nice... smash.gif does it work?
jt914-6
I've just put the finishing touches on it this morning. On the drive home from my workshop yesterday the view was good (flat mirror not convex). Very little vibration from the 1/8" lexan. The channel it fits into plus up against the "A" pillar seems to keep it from vibrating much....And of course that smooooth 3.0 six. biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I like it - looks clean and aerodynamic. I thought about various options for mine and just went back to a stock driver's side, and ditched the passenger side. Previously my car had giant Vitaloni flag-style mirrors, painted body color. Looked decent but heavy and unnecessarily big.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.