Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: please dont kill your car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
each car has a song that it sings. there is a pitch, a tone, a level. you know it if you listen. if this "song" changes, something has happened. INVESTIGATE.

your car has a feel, a grove. you learn how it pulls thru the gears. you know how much gas pedal it takes to cruise. if it changes, INVESTIGATE!

often times it is something simple or cheap to fix. if left unchecked it can turn into disaster.

STOP!!! DONT KEEP DRIVING, PLEASE. its not going to fix its self. cars do not heal as human flesh can.

if your car starts to lose power, STOP. it's telling you something

260 deg oil is bad

400 deg heads are bad

I hate seeing htese cars come into my shop.

stop. your car is screaming "daddy, please dont hurt me, I'm sick. help me daddy, help"

dont try to make it to the next exit, stop.
sean_v8_914
PS. dont wedge a paper towel behind the battery for checking the oil later. it will find the fan and cover all teh fins and FRY your heads.
ME733
..TO SEAN V8-914.............this is the first time I have read anything like your post. THIS IS VERY VERY good advise. and well done. great job.GREAT IDEA for a post , and maybe others that have /had porsche shops should chime in to continue this great idea...posting..............................So here are a few thoughts of mine, ....., porsches have their own personalities.,and are subject to having bad days, or weeks., find the problem ASAP, before it,s terminal..........porsches should have a preflight check just like an aeroplane., CHECK... the oil level, gas guage,the fuel pump (if you can hear it)...engine bay fuel lines, and SMELL.,check the tires,check the deck lids(closed)...and check all the guages......while the engine is warming up........properly warming up your engine will add/double it,s life............porsches are inaminate objects, therefore, are prone to reason.........If it doesent SOUND right....its NOT right......If you drive it hard and put it up wet(flaming hot), it will eventually bite you in the ass.........because porsches have personalities.
Mikey914
In aviation this is a big red flag, anytime you find yourself saying, it just feels different, or huh, that was wierd, never seen that do that before

...BING... BING... BING The bells should be going off in your head.

Maybe not as critical on the grough as at 41,000', but that little feeling you get can easily be something you've picked up on in your subconscious, and haven't identiied as a threat, yet.

It can save you allot of money sometimes.
ME733
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2010, 03:14 PM) *

In aviation this is a big red flag, anytime you find yourself saying, it just feels different, or huh, that was wierd, never seen that do that before

Maybe not as critical on the grough as at 41,000', but that little feeling you get can easily be something you've picked up on in your subconscious, and haven't identiied as a threat, yet.

......................How far will our ONE good engine take us?..........All the way to the scene of the crash.
Mikey914
QUOTE(ME733 @ Apr 29 2010, 12:26 PM) *

......................How far will our ONE good engine take us?..........All the way to the scene of the crash.

Depends on what your flying, and what phase of flight. You may not even notice you've lost an engine / or shut one down as a passenger. In fact, from 41,000 in the decent we're basically a glider uness ATC has us level out or speed up.
ME733
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2010, 03:34 PM) *

Depends on what your flying, and what phase of flight. You may not even notice you've lost an engine / or shut one down as a passenger. In fact, from 41,000 in the decent we're basically a glider uness ATC has us level out or speed up.
..............about 1968, While on a P3, anti-sub patrol, thats a four engine turbo-prop,....as a passenger (in charge of security)....the P3 had just one engine go out(in the bermuda triangle)...let me state that as a PASSENGER I knew I N S TA N T L Y...an engine went out.....(.engine generator fried)....many funny comments, from the pilot and crew, broke the tension.
GTeener
Yup...I resemble this thread's sentiment. Sunday I had my car flatbed towed almost 90 miles home because it didn't sound or feel right.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2010, 11:34 AM) *

Geez Mark! At 41K feet your almost sub-orbital! smile.gif
EdwardBlume
My Dad had his B-24 shot up so bad that they wouldn't let them land on the runway... they ditched it on a nearby beach instead... how's that for confidence?
craig downs
Yep things happen fast when you start to hear noises. I was 4 miles from home coming home from dinner on the freeway maintaining speed. I let up just a bit and heard a noise like the fan rubbing on the shroud (DTM). The noise would happen on accel & decel so when I got home gave it a fast look and told myself I'll look at it tomorrow.
Next day I took off the fan belt and spun the fan by hand hmm thats not it and then started it with the belt off and heard the noise ahh crap now I got to drop the engine.
So when I took the transmission and the clutch off I found out 3 of the 5 flywheel bolts loosened up and sheared one . The end of the crankshaft and the flywheel then were slapping against each other and it looks like someone hammered it with a
ball-peen hammer. I tore the engine down and was glad to find out the crank and flywheel can be fixed.
oldschool
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 29 2010, 11:24 AM) *

PS. dont wedge a paper towel behind the battery for checking the oil later. it will find the fan and cover all teh fins and FRY your heads.

Your so right Sean ....But what happens when your getting on the fwy your cornering on the on ramp....and small sound .......and then no sound...at all confused24.gif
towed it home, Had Brad come by.. told me to true the key...And a big fat NOTHING.
So as of Oct. of last year...she is waiting in my garage for a Doctor...
...mean while driving.gif this
Click to view attachment
and the red car is getting a new heart shades.gif Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
13b! Sweet! I'm looking at getting a peripherally ported 13b through a friend at my work.. Mazda race shop means I have full acccess to lots of mazda parts for fairly cheap

Yup, I've had the same problem. heard a shound in the suspension when I first drove my car after the rear suspension and motor rebuild. Bront brake calipers were clunking. Turned out the caliper bolts were loose... OOps.
realred914
QUOTE(ME733 @ Apr 29 2010, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2010, 03:34 PM) *

..............about 1968, While on a P3, anti-sub patrol, thats a four engine turbo-prop,....as a passenger (in charge of security)....the P3 had just one engine go out(in the bermuda triangle)...let me state that as a PASSENGER I knew I N S TA N T L Y...an engine went out.....(.engine generator fried)....many funny comments, from the pilot and crew, broke the tension.

it is common for the P3 orion to fly with an engine out. it is a feul saving measure to help reach long patrol distances with enough fuel to get home. Although this time the engine was shut off for other reason, the P-3 flies just fine with an engine out. Hence the crews lack of real concern. the bermuda triangle angle is interesting
SLITS
Ok Sean, step away from the crack pipe.

What do you do if you are deaf and numb (No Eric, I didn't say deaf and dumb).
sean_v8_914
oh schtick, my pipe IS cracked, damn.
brer
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 29 2010, 03:35 PM) *

My Dad had his B-24 shot up so bad that they wouldn't let them land on the runway... they ditched it on a nearby beach instead... how's that for confidence?

my grandfather had the same story! south pacific.
cary
Sean, but some folks just don't/can't hear it. And for those, they shouldn't be driving an older car.
I hope by my kids driving the 914's thru high school will help with their car ownership thru the rest of their life. Sorry to say the oldest has it figured out. The turbo's in his A6 have begun to whine.
flipb
Let me start by saying, if not for this thread, I wouldn't even have thought twice about it, but...

Over the past month or so, I've noticed that my starter seems to behave differently. It used to crank at a consistent speed until the engine lit:

crank-crank-crank-crank-VRRRROOOOOOM

Now it seems to "bog down" but the engine always ignites on the next crank, like this:

crank-crank-crank-crrrr...aaannnnn...nnk-VRRRRROOOOOOOM

Voltage seems fine and it still cranks, just seems like the starter is working harder. It's not the original starter, I think it's a beefier unit put on by a PO. Is my starter on the way out? Should I not worry as long as it cranks? Is something in the engine making it harder to turn over?

(Once it cranks, it's running like a champ in this warm weather... as good as ever)
'73-914kid
Check the grounds... Tranny strap particularly...
underthetire
QUOTE(flipb @ May 6 2010, 05:43 AM) *

Let me start by saying, if not for this thread, I wouldn't even have thought twice about it, but...

Over the past month or so, I've noticed that my starter seems to behave differently. It used to crank at a consistent speed until the engine lit:

crank-crank-crank-crank-VRRRROOOOOOM

Now it seems to "bog down" but the engine always ignites on the next crank, like this:

crank-crank-crank-crrrr...aaannnnn...nnk-VRRRRROOOOOOOM

Voltage seems fine and it still cranks, just seems like the starter is working harder. It's not the original starter, I think it's a beefier unit put on by a PO. Is my starter on the way out? Should I not worry as long as it cranks? Is something in the engine making it harder to turn over?

(Once it cranks, it's running like a champ in this warm weather... as good as ever)

Points? Check timing. Sounds like it may be advanced. I second the ground strap check though to be sure.

And I actually stopped driving my car this week. My foot was sore on tuesday. Coudn't figure out why till the drive home. My clutch has seemed to progressively getting stiffer. So it can creep up on you for sure. New cable time again.
sean_v8_914
a clutch cable should last a decade. something is causing it to fail. when was the last cable installed?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.