Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am wanting to upgrade my stereo system. I currently have a newer blaupunkt stereo with the speakers that come from 914 Appearance & Performance. But I want a fuller sound. I am not the kind of bum that forces everyone to listen to the music that I am listening to, that is not my objective. I just want something to overcome the other noises.

I am thinking one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-MRP-F300-4-CHAN...434347140073791

and a small subwoofer like this

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...T654&tp=111

Is this a good setup for me, and is there another Amp that someone could recommend that is perhaps smaller that could fit in my center console?

Thomas Otten
edwin
hi there
cant say much about the 6.5" Kicker but i know the 12 sounds great. if you want a little more for similar size it might be worth looking at a small solobaric (square) sub from them. that alpine amp is a great little amp. not much i would bother looking at thats smaller. just think a little about where you put it. they can get fairly warm so inside the console might be a little worry but at the same time on the outside of the console could be an issue with burning legs.
cheers
edwin
underthetire
I have 4 1/2's Panasonics in my stock speaker grills, and I did have a 6.5 sub in my center console. No matter what you do, the stock console will not work with a sub, you need heavy MDF for the bass. The stealth boxes are nice too. I use a older high current amp just for the 8" sub thats in now, then deck power for the 4 1/2's, but my Alpine head unit has crossover control for the individual channels. That amp looks good, can't go wrong with alpine IMO.

BTW, i preferred the 6 1/2 over the 8 I have in it now. The more speaker you put in, the bigger the enclosure has to be to get any reasonable response out of it.
johannes
I am not the kind of bum that forces everyone to listen to the music that I am listening to, that is not my objective. I just want something to overcome the other noises.

That's for you ...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRNC33-Noise-C.../dp/B002M78JAM/
underthetire
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 30 2010, 08:36 AM) *

I am not the kind of bum that forces everyone to listen to the music that I am listening to, that is not my objective. I just want something to overcome the other noises.

That's for you ...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRNC33-Noise-C.../dp/B002M78JAM/

If Texas has similar laws, it's illegal to use headphones in a car here, unless it's a hands free device for your phone, like that makes any sense. bs.gif
Tom_T
Thomas,

I was going to suggest headphones too with my warped sense of humor biggrin.gif
... but they are unsafe if not against the law for the driver, but the passenger CAN use them.

Look - our 914s are just pre-auto-audiophile - period - what with an open top & wind noise, or a thin sheet of fiberglass top not much better; plus that beautifully noisy engine just behind your ears, less than 5 inches off the road with a very responsive but noise transmitting suspension; & virtually zero sound insulation anywhere!

Fun to drive driving.gif driving-girl.gif ~ but not much of a music studio nor sound booth! biggrin.gif

IMHO it's a waste of coin to put an expensive audio system in these older cars - whether 914's, 911/912, 356, etc. - other than to accommodate the newer formats ~ and then IMHO also, only to the extent that you're not cutting up expensive or NLA interior panels &/or structural sheetmetal.

In my case I'll be putting back in my original AM-FM8-Track stereo with the OE speakers (or new ones which fit in the housings if they no longer work). I just need to figure out how to mount an adapter head like in the cassettes that you can use to plug in your MP3 player/etc., with both a 3.5mm & USB plug in the outside end, plus an SD card slot to preload all of my Oldies music!!?? biggrin.gif

Good Luck on your quest for the Holy Grail, but beware the Virgins! (Monty Python)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.