Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Brad, how's the Kitcarlson FI coming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
It's been awhile and just wondering how the Kitcarlson FI system your testing is coming? It looks to be a good relacement for all are 914-4 engines. I know your very busy, just like to know how the testing is coming along.

Thanks for any info,

Ralph

74 2.0
bernbomb914
Me too icon14.gif

Bernie
Jake Raby
I'm waiting too! He and I are gonna do some test work together!
KitCarlson
Me Too! laugh.gif

I have not stopped development, for waiting on results. The second generation system alive and well.

The mechanical parts for TPS adapters, case and distributor parts are now in production.

I am also working on a relay board of sorts, to aid in installation of pre-FI engines. It can also be used as an add-on to keep from digging in the wiring/relay board of a 914 to find relays and connection points.

The KitCarlson EMSII will be installed on a Turbo 2.0 in the very near future.

My car has been running great under all sorts of conditions.

Software development for the display and user interface needs to be completed prior to mass release.

Work is also in progress on missing tooth timing wheel applications, 6 and V8 applications in the near future.

Kit
Jake Raby
Kit, I need a system ASAP!
Rog914
Jake, glad to hear your interest in F.I. I know alot of people have been bugging you about a F.I. system. Sounds like this Kitcarson system is just what we all are looking for. Something that dos'nt cost $3,000+ & a good replacement for the D-jet.

Kit, with Brad being so busy you ought to let Jake take a crack at your system. Besides thats all Jake dose is engine rebuilds & has the dyno to fine tune your system. Sounds like it could be a marriage made in heaven LOL.

Ralph

74 2.0
ChrisReale
My car is the tester. We are doing body work now. Should be pretty soon tho.....
McMark
Better watch out Chris. If I get my engine together before your body work is done I might steal it and install it on mine. I'm not trying to be selfish, I just wanna see the system tested. I feel bad it's taken so long. But it couldn't be helped.
KitCarlson
Jake,
With luck, I can be ready in one week.
Kit
JeffBowlsby
I am ready for the harness...just waiting for the components and to see where there are located so the harness routing can be determined...

smilie_flagge6.gif
KitCarlson
The Jeff Bowlsby built harness will be a great addition for EMS! laugh.gif

Kit
Rog914
Brad, are you still around?
Jake Raby
Sweet,
Yes I always have a ton of guys with interest in FI... I will have a 2315 914 engine on the dyno next week that would love the system.. This engine will make 180 ponies with carbs, and I have dynoed alot of them for comparisons with carbs and etc.
McMark
Just wanted to update everyone.

The engine is in the car. The FI is hooked up. The fuel pump runs as it should, the starter engages, and it pops/fires every once in awhile. I'm in the final stages and should have a running engine this week if not tonight.

smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
It runs.

More info later.

B
DNHunt
Great, you guys gonna have it at the WCC. I sure would like to see it especially the ignition side of it. Jake's got my trigger wheel to include in the balance for the new engine. Hope to be all electronic on the new engine

Dave
nebreitling
Kit, Brad, Jake, Bowlsby et al.

you are equal parts brilliant and crazy. thank you.

pray.gif
Brad Roberts
Not real good right now. Trying to get my laptop to speak "Kit".

Com port issues are killing me.

B
Jake Raby
I NEED A SYSTEM!

Friggin webers went up 300 bucks in 2 weeks! Now the price differences are much less between Webers and FI.

KIT, CALL ME!
KitCarlson
Jake,
I am building one with your name on it. If things work today I will have it running on an engine for tests.
Kit
Jake Raby
Great.... This is hitting at the perfect moment, as Webers are only going up more. Some places are getting 1,000.00 for a set that used to go for 600 bucks!

From what I hear prices are not going back down either..

I'm building a test engine right now for my blue beetle, so we could work on a system for individual runners and a DTM, as well as plenum based.

I have a 180 BHP 2316 thats ready for the dyno in a week or so, I'd love to see the differences.
KitCarlson
Mark, Brad,

The communications interface is 57,600b 8,n,1 no handshake, VT100 emulation, no echo.

Commands:
"t" to change modes, ">" to index value. "+" to increase, "-" to decrease.
"s" to save "y" to comfirm. Test your port ny connecting pins 2 and 3 to loop back,

Make sure you have the static timing set by having engine crank at 8deg and dist interruptor trailing edge on "A" sensor at center of sensor notch. Based on the picture you sent if crank was at 8 degrees you are about 30 degrees advanced at idle!

Kit
Jake Raby
DAAAAMMMMNNN! Ping!

LOL
Brad Roberts
We timed it not too long after that pic was taken. It starts/runs great. Just needs some tweaking. I'm still having com port issues on my laptop.

I may need to download some software instead of using Hyperterminal.

More info later today.

B
McMark
I got it to talk! I'll spare the details. wink.gif

Now for some tweaking.
Brad Roberts
Hyperterminal works fine. I was tweaking the system tonight. It took me 30 minutes to figure out that I could make live changes without saving it every time... DOH !! Nothing wrong with that.. but it takes forever. Now that I have that tidbit tuning will go much easier. We where driving it around making changes, but it was idling very high. We torqued down the intake manifolds and checked for vac leaks then started fooling with the timing. I stuck my hand near the exhaust and quickly figured out we had the timing set wrong.

I'll plug away at it tomorrow. The tables are easy to change. I will reread everything I have so far tonight.

B
KitCarlson
Brad,
Make sure the base timing is set first with the engine off. Crank at 8 degrees, trailing edge of interrupter just past "center" of sensor "A". The center of sensor has notches ~ 0.050" where the emitters and detectors are located. Also make sure you run with the dist cap "on" to block external light .

In the TR (timing RPM) the first value should be 8 for the eight degrees. The second value should be zero, this is where the base idle will be. Timing = 8 (base) +TR + TM (timing MAP). This is what the communication reports in DEG. If base timing is wrong, all timing will be messed up.

At sub idle speeds "LT" indicated locked timing, it is used for starting, During LT (start-up for example the dwell starts at the leading edge of interrupter and spark happens at tailing edge. The width of the interrupter is about 40 crank degrees. If you want to test while cranking with timing light remove plug wires connect spare plugs to a plate connected to ground, this provides load for the ignition yet keeps engine from starting.
An alternate method is to, detach the red coil wire to defeat ignition put a scope on the tach out put. Slowly turn the crank, you will see a 50mS blip at 8 deg BTDC and 8 deg BBDC if all is correct. If you do not have a scope, connect a small test light (< 1 amp) or white LED with series resistor to +12V the other lead to the Tach Out and you have a solid state timing light! Just look for the timing mark when the light blinks.

If your timing is too advanced you will find you will have to add more fuel as you bring the idle down. If timing is correct, set idle speed with air screw on throttle body.

I made the "save" to keep from saving all the time. EEproms can wear out after 100,000 writes, that is many setup changes, but I still worry about things wearing out. I detect when changes are made and suggest a "S" save is necessary before shutting if you want to retain changed setup data. Just look before shutting off for the "S". There are ways to make it automatic, however it adds hardware complexity and cost. The system has 3 levels of memory, FLASH for factory default setups, EEprom for EEprom setup retention, and RAM for normal operation. I sure you have noticed adjustments can be done real time without a miss or tick. You just need to make sure whatever adjustment you make is in an active cell (correct for temperature, MAP,rpm ...). All this is planned to be improved in the near future.

As you experiment with the tuning don't hesitate to ask questions. I can learn from your experinces and improve the user interface.

Kit
KitCarlson
Brad, Mark,
I am starting to have kittens wondering how the tuning is going....
Kit
McMark
Too many projects, not enough time.
Brad Roberts
I wont fool with it again until Saturday. It is not billable so it gets done in my "free" time.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.